• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DMPL

21 posts in this topic

Looking to add a morgan to the type set soon and am looking for a nice example .

Is there a gauge that the graders use to distinguish DMPL . I thought I had read somewhere that it depended alot on the distance of the mirror in the fields .

Is this so or was it one of those dilusional ideas that seem to be creeping in as I get older ? :)

Thanks

....just pull the frost off the coin and weigh it. It will weigh more if it's "heavy" and less if it's "light." :)

12 inches is a DMPL. Must be heavy frost also.

I thought 12" or more was the standard for UDMPL?

Chris

I did find this info on the net.

DMPL Reflectivity Scale

Here is the scale that denotes the proper designation for the coin, based on reflectivity:

•Semi-Prooflike (SPL) - 1 to 2 inches, devices must be frosted

•Prooflike (PL) - 2 to 4 inches of reflectivity

•Deep Mirror Prooflike (DMPL) - More than 4 inches

•Ultra Prooflike (UPL) - At least 8 inches

This would seem to be one aspect of coin "grading" that would be very easy to automate and standardize. How do NCG and PCGS determine "deep" from "not deep?"

....just pull the frost off the coin and weigh it. It will weigh more if it's "heavy" and less if it's "light." :)

I believe it's 8 inches. No jokes please. MJ

:signfunny: :signfunny:

The standards have changed over the years. There are coins in old "desirable" plastic labeled DMPL that would not get a PL designation today. If you're looking for a nice DMPL type coin, look at a lot of coins labeled DMPL and buy the one that makes you say, "Damn!" when you look at both sides, because you're so impressed with the reflectivity. It will be an 1880-S or 1881-S.

The standards have changed over the years. There are coins in old "desirable" plastic labeled DMPL that would not get a PL designation today. If you're looking for a nice DMPL type coin, look at a lot of coins labeled DMPL and buy the one that makes you say, "Damn!" when you look at both sides, because you're so impressed with the reflectivity. It will be an 1880-S or 1881-S.

I agree, be careful the coin you buy. I own this one which in a MS63 DPL holder and I don't think it would even be considered semi PL today.

IMG_2890a.jpg

IMG_2891a.jpg

I believe it's 8 inches. No jokes please. MJ

:signfunny: :signfunny:

Now i'm scratching my head. Do they use a ruler or a zipper? :roflmao:

101_0061-1.jpg

Heavy front not necessary and frosty cam DMPLs are not that common and later dates are brilliant DMPLs, not cameo.

Older hollered DMPL's don't always cut it nowadays. Standards are much tougher today on the designation. I believe it is 4 inches on a PL and 8-10 on a DMPL. Just my thoughts.

Good luck on the search

183.jpg

This would seem to be one aspect of coin "grading" that would be very easy to automate and standardize. How do NCG and PCGS determine "deep" from "not deep?"

If they fall in and can't get out, then it is deep.

Chris

true but there ARE some older holdered dmpl morgans that are all there and them some find one of the older 2 piece holders and/or rattlers both pre 1990 and cac stickered and then you got a killer all there coin and if the coibn is still white with crisp clear non cloudy fields then you got something really special as it is stable after being in the holder for 23-26 years

as few older holdered green tag and before dmpl pcgs dollars would sticker at cac

also a true dmpl strong cameo 1881-s morgan dollar is rare item 1881-s morgans in dmpl might be available usually available but precious few have a strong cameo on miss liberty

I have loved todds 84 since he posted it and I dont know what it is about it. Its just chalky cameo goodness.

Heavy front not necessary and frosty cam DMPLs are not that common and later dates are brilliant DMPLs, not cameo.

Older hollered DMPL's don't always cut it nowadays. Standards are much tougher today on the designation. I believe it is 4 inches on a PL and 8-10 on a DMPL. Just my thoughts.

Good luck on the search

183.jpg

I wish I could take photos as good as Todd. Here is an 1884-CC NGC MS63PL for comparison.

Chris

125668.jpg.8f3dfb9794621fc8568b51156516835b.jpg

125669.jpg.9b9f57e571f10ebea846158de79aea0f.jpg