• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS delivered my coin to wrong address....now what?

23 posts in this topic

Tracking info shows it was delivered...but not to me....not even the right city. It was not insured, so who is responsible?

Now what?

how can you tell it was delivered to wrong city?

The tracking tells the city where it was delivered.

The Seller said he had it certified and insured, so he may have mailed it to another customer by mistake, but says he will fix the problem so that's good. I once received a PCGS MS-65 $5 Indian from a seller that I bought a PCGS MS-62 $2.5 Indian from. Good thing I was honest and returned it to the seller as there is quite a price difference between the 2!

The shipper is responsible for filing the loss claim if USPS can't recover it.

USPS shows it as delivered, insurance would no longer apply. Even if delivered to the wrong place.

Tracking info shows it was delivered...but not to me....not even the right city. It was not insured, so who is responsible?

Believe it or not no one. If seller bought delivery confirmation, and it shows delivery, he is off the hook with paypal. If it shows delivery, as far as the post office is concerned it was delivered, and if it was insured they are now off the hook.

If the seller is going to take care of you, end of story.

Often, misdirected packages are redirected properly. It may just show up. I'd give it a few more days.

Lance.

The Seller said he had it certified and insured, so he may have mailed it to another customer by mistake, but says he will fix the problem so that's good. I once received a PCGS MS-65 $5 Indian from a seller that I bought a PCGS MS-62 $2.5 Indian from. Good thing I was honest and returned it to the seller as there is quite a price difference between the 2!

Good Karma for sure! What goes around, comes around. Integrity rules! :banana:

USPS shows it as delivered, insurance would no longer apply. Even if delivered to the wrong place.

Believe it or not no one. If seller bought delivery confirmation, and it shows delivery, he is off the hook with paypal. If it shows delivery, as far as the post office is concerned it was delivered, and if it was insured they are now off the hook.

It sounds like the problem has already been resolved, but had the certified package been given to a household other than the one listed on the box, I think that would be an actionable claim.

I thought PayPal required delivery to the address shown on the buyer's invoice? If this was sent to a different city it would have a different zip code; thus requiring the original sender to be liable...I believe.

'mint'

I thought PayPal required delivery to the address shown on the buyer's invoice? If this was sent to a different city it would have a different zip code; thus requiring the original sender to be liable...I believe.

'mint'

If the package was shipped to an address other than the paypal address written on the box, then it is the PO at fault, and eligable for an insurance claim. I would not expect paypal to to help with anything, in any way.

If the package was shipped to an address other than the paypal address written on the box, then it is the PO at fault, and eligable for an insurance claim

OK, show us the address written on the box. Oh no box? So no written address then right? So how do we know it wasn't delivered to the address on the box?

'mint'

If the package was shipped to an address other than the paypal address written on the box, then it is the PO at fault, and eligable for an insurance claim. I would not expect paypal to to help with anything, in any way.

For items over $250 PayPal requires a valid signature confirming proof of delivery. Without that signature it is an automatic rule in favor for the buyer.

This is stated directly in the PayPal user agreement and buyer protection policy. Therefore, the buyer would get a full refund through default. I speak from experience.

Respectfully,

'mint'

The item miraculously finally arrived to me several days after tracking said it was delivered to another city (not a sorting a facility, but a final delivery). Perhaps whoever received it returned it to the post office. We will never know.

I've actually had the USPS site show a couple of my packages already delivered but back to the original sender. It was basically the USPS site messed up. The packages arrived just fine!

About two weeks ago I purchased a coin on eBay. When it arrived, I had two small boxes from the same seller. I opened both and one contained a 1921 $20 gold coin worth on Numismedia $2000. I contacted the seller and told him if he would refund my shipping I would send it back. He agreed and I shipped it back signature required and insured. The postmaster said the original shipment to me the seller had printed the original label twice and slapped the one on the gold coin. He said technically the PO would have no record of it even being shipped and there would be no way to track it since it was as duplicate label. The seller refunded my shipping and simply thanked me for my honesty. He was very lucky.

If the package was shipped to an address other than the paypal address written on the box, then it is the PO at fault, and eligable for an insurance claim

OK, show us the address written on the box. Oh no box? So no written address then right? So how do we know it wasn't delivered to the address on the box?

We don't; I was speaking hypothetically and using the word "If."

The seller addressed the item correctly.

Something apparently was fouled up with the USPS (what a shock).

The seller addressed the item correctly.

Something apparently was fouled up with the USPS (what a shock).

USPS has a way of butchering things in ways that I didn't think were possible. I mailed a coin to a board member about three months ago, and the package was marked as delivered and forwarded for no reason. The package was correctly addressed and the post office admitted that it was an (obvious) error made by new temporary employee's first day. The coin still cannot be located. Thankfully, I purchased insurance for the purchase.

We don't; I was speaking hypothetically and using the word "If."

My point was that since the box can't be shown to have been delivered to an address different than the one written on the box (Because you wouldn't have the box) then it would not be eligible for an insurance claim. I understood it was a hypothetical, I was just going to the next step and showing what the response to the hypothetical situation could/would be.

The post office is not off the hook if they deliver a package to an incorrect address. What you (the original poster) needs to do, is call the postmaster in your district and explain that you want the item tracked down and recovered. If that fails, you can report the item stolen with your local PD, and let them know where it arrived so they can communicate with that area PD to recover the item.

I know some people will be confused on how you can report an item stolen if you never had it in person. He purchased the coin from another person and as soon as the seller received the payment, the coin became property of the buyer. The post office is responisble for retrieveing the coin for you. Same thing if you buy a car from a different state, on ebay or not. once the seller gets the payment, the buyer owns it. And when the buyer has a hauling company transport the car if it gets damaged, or stolen durring transport, the hauling companies is responsible to cover costs to repair or retrieve the car through their insurance provider.

-Dave