• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin from a series you collected in the past.

24 posts in this topic

Most of us have collected more than one series of coins over time. About 20 - 25 years ago I used to collect Peace dollars. I put together a set in (rattler) MS64-MS65. Eventually I sold all of that set off, except for the 1921. I still love them, and will buy the odd raw one (or two) at a coin show every now and then if nothing else shows up to catch my fancy.

Post a coin from a series you used to collect. You do NOT need to own the (posted) coin now. Here's the 1921 I kept, and a raw 1921 I picked up a few years ago:

PCGS (Rattler) MS64

21PeaceP64obv14.jpg

21PeaceP64rev10.jpg

Raw

21obv670.jpg

21rev676.jpg

In the late 90's I almost completed a Mercury Dime short set (1934-1945) in PCGS MS66-67 FB. I also had an album collection of circulated and lower BU Mercury Dimes. All I have left is some of the album coins.

MercuryDime19161.jpg

Here are a couple from my complete PR67 set. I sure do miss them!!

1913PFT1obv_011.jpg

1913PFT1rev_006.jpg

1936Satinobv_106.jpg

1936Satinrev_116.jpg

Now that is a set I would loved to have seen!! (worship)

Lot2582.jpg

Lot2582Rev.jpg

I'm curious. What made you stop collecting this series? If it was anything like me then I'd guess you just couldn't find nice examples....I finally gave up.

As to me, go over to Jason's 10 Millionth post thread and look at the Mercs and Buffalo I posted. I also used to collect these as well:

10d-11p.jpg

jom

Lot2582.jpg

Lot2582Rev.jpg

I'm curious. What made you stop collecting this series? If it was anything like me then I'd guess you just couldn't find nice examples....I finally gave up.

As to me, go over to Jason's 10 Millionth post thread and look at the Mercs and Buffalo I posted. I also used to collect these as well:

10d-11p.jpg

jom

Jom, I really like this series, both of them! Not being able to attend shows any more (Immune illness issues) stopped me on this. This series of Pratt coins is too tricky to grade, unless you can hold the coin in hand and have a 3X loupe handy. Too many altered and counterfeit for remote buying. I really like these when they are straight and clean! They are the challenge of the hobby as far as gold coins are concerned, IMHO.

Nice St. Gaudens's $10! They are my next favorite.

From the mid 1980s to 1995 I collected half cents by die variety. I really wanted to get all of the varieties from 1800 to 1808 (Draped Bust - 27 die varieties). I had already paid over $1,000 for the rare 1805 variety. Most collectors would not have paid $15 for it at the time because it was beat up, ground salvage piece. I got to within four varieties and hit a brick wall. Used my half cents for seed money when I started my coin business.

Here is a left over from my collection, It is one of the four spiked chin varieites, and I think one is a C-5.

1804SpikeChinO.jpg1804SpikedChinR.jpg

You will notice that there is a huge die break on the reverse. I believe that the screw that gave the obverse die the spiked chin broke the reverse die. There are a small number of pieces from this die pair that don't have the spiked chin. Cohen gave those coins the C-4 variety number, but later it was de-listed because it was really just a die state, not a variety.