• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOT so cheap thrills....

64 posts in this topic

They did not bump the grade for the PL. I might be skeptical of the plus, but its a solid 65. The reverse is immaculate, and really the only marks are the ones you mention - otherwise, there is almost zero chatter or marks. This is consistent with a strong 65 grade.

If you have 64's that exhibit similar mark free surfaces, resubmit them for an upgrade.

:popcorn:

I will continue to watch...I have nothng worthy of this thread. I am hoping I can become a serious collector when I retire.

(Hoping to see Bill and Mark post theirs here)

While not my most expensive coins, I wouldn't exactly call them cheap.

1924 NGC MS63 St. Gaudens Double Eagle

44487-1.jpg

That makes three that I have seen.

StGaudensDoubleEagle1924NGCMS63S-2.jpg

AnacondaSaint.jpg

The Saint purists hate these coins and think they are AT. I don't care, I think they are cool. Nice Coin!

Gorgeous color on those Saints! I agree its AT since gold is inert, but still very cool in any case.

Here are a few more of my crown jewels. .

1798halfeagle.jpg

1800halfeagle.jpg

1810halfeagle.jpg

Rons, that Proof Morgan has amazingly clean surfaces! Is it a 66?

EB: The surfaces are very nice on your early copper! Excellent choices! :applause:

Gorgeous color on those Saints! I agree its AT since gold is inert, but still very cool in any case.

Gold is inert, but copper is not. Classic U.S. gold is 10% copper, and an uneven distribution of the copper could produce the toning.

I like your gold coins; I'm fascinated with high grade pre-1834 gold. Whenever my budget is able to afford one, I hope to pick one up.

While not my most expensive coins, I wouldn't exactly call them cheap.

1924 NGC MS63 St. Gaudens Double Eagle

44487-1.jpg

That makes three that I have seen.

StGaudensDoubleEagle1924NGCMS63S-2.jpg

AnacondaSaint.jpg

The Saint purists hate these coins and think they are AT. I don't care, I think they are cool. Nice Coin!

Thanks, and this is the third example that I have seen as well (with the other two that you cite). In fact, I would love to own the other two if they ever become available provided that the price is right, and if I have the funds. The third coin you posted is what sparked my interest in rainbow toned gold.

I HATE myself for not buying that when I had the chance.

Everytime you post that, I also kick myself for not going after it.

I appreciate the compliments, and I am very glad that neither of you pursued the coin as it would have likely cost me that much more. I almost missed out on this piece myself; I originally didn't have the funds, but Shane was nice enough to take a partial cash/trade deal.

By that argument, your nicely colored, original, orangery gold 1810 $5 would also be AT. It is not the gold that is reacting to form the toning - it is the copper and silver alloy that is reacting.

Ankur, the proof Morgan is a lowly 63. I meant a lovely 63 ;) I like it alot and had TomB image it which showed some hairlines :( thus the grade.

By that argument, your nicely colored, original, orangery gold 1810 $5 would also be AT. It is not the gold that is reacting to form the toning - it is the copper and silver alloy that is reacting.

True. But there is a big difference between rainbow toning and lemon peal toning.