• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It has been nearly a year since I've added a coin to my gold type set.....

21 posts in this topic

So as I am wrapping up what was (up until now) a very uneventful Central States show with one last stop to pick up a couple coins I purchased early on Thursday ....... Seriously I am going to write this one last check and then I'm out the door .....then I notice a small stack of coins behind the dealers table. I know it might not be proper form and maybe I was just being nosy but this dealer seems to attract the coolest range of material and even if it's not for sale it is always fun to look. I never got past the top coin on the stack and after ten minutes of trying to talk myself out of buying the coin (usually a good sign) I had to add a zero to that last check.

I haven't added a coin to my gold type set since the summer ANA which I guess is to be expected since the holes are getting much harder to fill but I was happy to add this tough type to the collection.

Not the best image but as good as I can get with my limited imaging ability. I still use a scanner :blush:

1795-he-pc62.jpg

"i know it might not be proper form and maybe I was just being nosy but this dealer seems to attract the coolest range of material and even if it's not for sale it is always fun to look"

That clue sounds like B.S. to me and I don't mean as in bologna? ;)

Either way, congratulations on what looks to be a magnificent coin.

The images make it seem prooflike, or at least semi-prooflike. Does it display some level of reflectivity in hand? Fantastic coin either way.

What is limiting the grade, since I don't really see why it graded 62 from the images?

The images make it seem prooflike, or at least semi-prooflike. Does it display some level of reflectivity in hand? Fantastic coin either way.

What is limiting the grade, since I don't really see why it graded 62 from the images?

My guess is the luster keeping it at a 62...

Super sweet coin!

My guess is the luster keeping it at a 62...

Super sweet coin!

You must not be looking at the same picture that I am. My guess is that it has plenty of luster and that marks (which aren't apparent in the image) are limiting the grade.

So that's what you were buying! I bought my only purchase at the same table. GREAT coin sir and I enjoyed chatting with you as always. MJ

Mr Feld is correct. Contact marks limit the grade on this one. The coin has nice luster with semi p/l fields which magnify the contact marks in the fields primarily on the obverse. For some reason many of the contact marks don't show up in the scan like they do in hand?

WOW!

I know how exciting it is to find that type. My piece is an AU-55, which not up to your standards, but still respectable. When I saw the piece and heard the price, it took me all of 10 seconds to know that I was going to buy it. It was the fastest huge purchase I've ever made in my life.

17955O.jpg

17955R.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Always appreciate your post. I have yet to figure out if I prefer your coins or your currency. And that's hard to say being on the coin side. But some of your paper is simply shock and ahh. Great find.. :golfclap:

Chet