• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does it look like PVC to you? Newer Pics added!!

24 posts in this topic

I had a comment that this peace dollar may have some PVC on it. The pictures are a bit darker than the coin actually is so I really didn't see the extent of what is there until after the pics. Unless it's really bad, I'm not the best at spotting PVC damage. Anyway, opinions if you see PVC and then any ideas on what I should do with the coin if so. It's in a PCGS rattler. I bought this ATS on the marketplace! Thanks for any opinions!

1922PeacePCGSMS62Obv.jpg

1922PeacePCGSMS62Rev.jpg

The reverse definitely looks like it has PVC in the regions with the arrow (you have to zoom in to see it, but there are light bluish green specks there). There regions in the quadrilaterals are questionable. This could be PVC haze or photography.

1922PeacePCGSMS62Rev.jpg

With shipping I paid $47.

I pm'd the guy I bought it from ATS with a link to this thread. He had some better pics than what I've posted, so hopefully he'll chime in.

Yup, $47 is a little bit too much for a 62, especially with PVC.

You can get 63's and sometimes 64s for that money.

I bought a 63 in a rattler off of eBay for $50. This is probably a bit pricey, but the coin looked like it had potential upgrade potential.

Maybe so, it's really hard to see in these pics...

You have to be close to your monitor or zoom in to see it; it is very easy to overlook, and the original seller may not have even noticed it.

The areas in the quadrilateral were the result of photography. With the new images, I don't see the same areas, but the picture is smaller. I don't think the spots that I indicated with the arrows in my original image were artifacts from the photography. I stand by my original comments. The ultimate decision in this matter should be made via in hand inspection. I would pull out a loop and look for myself.

The areas in the quadrilateral were the result of photography. With the new images, I don't see the same areas, but the picture is smaller. I don't think the spots that I indicated with the arrows in my original image were artifacts from the photography. I stand by my original comments. The ultimate decision in this matter should be made via in hand inspection. I would pull out a loop and look for myself.

IF is it PVC, it either got by the graders or developed in the slab?

I will be more than happy to refund the OPs money if so desired.

There could have been trace/undetectable residue when encapsulated or the graders could have missed it. CAC rejects coins for this on a not too infrequent basis. Also, it is important that I emphasize that the contaminated areas are small, and I can see how both of you overlooked it. It's easy to do.

I'm pretty sure you're right also Kenny. After looking all over with my B&L, those look like the only spots I can find. There are some other spots but nothing like those. Being only an MS62, and knowing that this could probably stay like it is for years, I don't think I'm gonna worry about it too much! I appreciate all the opinions and pointing this out for me. Thanks again to you Kenny. Nice eye my friend!!

I appreciate the offer Gary but there's no need in that my friend. They are minute and really doesn't bother me that much! Thanks again!

I don't see any PVC in the pics. I see hazy, spotty toning (consistent with the grade), but nothing that screams PVC

I actually louped it out where Kenny has his arrows and it does look to have 3 very minor PVC spots to it Jason. Not something I'm really going to worry about tho'.

Look like there is a PVC spot by the date as well. If the OP decides to keep it, he should crack it out and soak if for a couple hours in acetone. PVC damage only gets worse over time.