• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is going on with this Peace dollar?

16 posts in this topic

Looks like it was encased at one time, with the rim being kind of mushed.

Doesnt the relief also seem kinda high? Thats what made me wonder if it was real.

It looks like a counterfeit to me. I'd say it's another Chinese creation, probably made of something other than silver.

That is one of the thoughts I had. The relief looked way off but that may be the photography also. But why a common in low grade if its a chinese fake?

But why a common in low grade if its a chinese fake?

I've heard this stuff is cropping up in flea markets to fool novice and non collectors into thinking they are buying "silver" dollars for fun and a hedge on the weak dollar. All they are getting is a "darn good stinging" as my late father used to say.

Looks like it was encased at one time, with the rim being kind of mushed.

Doesnt the relief also seem kinda high? Thats what made me wonder if it was real.

The sheen is kinda high, which I think makes the relief look funny. I don't think a fake die would have higher relief than the host coin. I won't say the coin is good or bad, but it is cräp.

When I worked in India, they sold this cheaply made chinese junk at flea markets around monuments and temples. I do not know what they used for metal but it is not coin silver? Plated Zamac maybe?

Thanks guys. I informed the seller which then cancelled the sale but I think he relisted it lol.