• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: GTG: 1904-O Morgan Dollar (NGC certified) (UPDATED WITH GRADE)

20 posts in this topic

Love that old album toning. Is it in an old fatty holder? Looks like a strong strike for this particular 'O' mint. I'm going solid MS65, and a point higher wouldn't surprise me either. GREAT looking coin Kenny (thumbs u

Love that old album toning. Is it in an old fatty holder? Looks like a strong strike for this particular 'O' mint. I'm going solid MS65, and a point higher wouldn't surprise me either. GREAT looking coin Kenny (thumbs u

Ditto, and the possibility of 66 wouldn't be a surprise.

Chris

MS65 - I think the notch on the chest is a little distracting and may be the point holding it from a 66

Nicely toned - Die cracked - Hammered "O" Mint

Nice coin

MS-65. The fields look very clear, but IMO there are a few to many blemishes in front of Liberty, above her head, and on her cheek and neck so that will keep it back from a full MS-66. The revese is a killer if that isn't a photo pixil problem on the chest (it looks squared off). :)

I am betting it is graded MS64 in an old holder.

I would grade it MS65, love that type of toning, that is exactly the type I have been looking for my year set of raw morgans.

I am betting it is graded MS64 in an old holder.

I would grade it MS65, love that type of toning, that is exactly the type I have been looking for my year set of raw morgans.

spot on!

Thanks to everyone who has replied and thanks for your compliments. To answer a few of the comments that have been posted, the coin is in a NGC old no line fatty. The coin is not a Redfield coin, or at least it is not pedigreed as such. I will post the grade (hopefully) this evening. Thanks again.

A solid 64 by "old" grading standards! If the luster is weak, as it appears to be in the images, then the grade is "still" correct.

I'll probably send this off to the sticker mill.

My initial guess agrees with NGC, and I'll explain why I thought it was MS-64, as alluded to my first response. It looks like "Redfield dollar" to me, and I have seen a ton of those, enough to know that they almost always have muted luster. Also, I see a bit of friction on Liberty's forward cheek area.

The coin is really choice for the grade, and could quite easily upgrade. For me, though, it is more enjoyable as a true PQ MS-64.

Thank you all again for your help. I actually received this coin in hand today. The pictures are accurate, except the luster is a bit stronger (but as pointed out, not as strong as it could be).