• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does this count as textile toning?

34 posts in this topic

It is not an attractive coin.

Gee, thanks.

lol...

A true textile toned Peace $ will look just like a textile toned Morgan with the pattern across the entire obverse or reverse of the coin. The pattern will be distinct.

It is not an attractive coin.

Gee, thanks.

lol...

A true textile toned Peace $ will look just like a textile toned Morgan with the pattern across the entire obverse or reverse of the coin. The pattern will be distinct.

It doesn't have to be across the entire face of the coin. It can reveal itself in, say, one quadrant but not in another. It depends on how the material makes contact with the coin.

Chris

On a textile toner, the pattern may occur in just a small section. It will be distinct, yes, but I've never seen a textile toned Peace. It seems we were talking about this not too long ago, and Roger said the fabric used in the bags for Peace dollars was a different weave, and thus would look different.

And, it's a horribly ugly coin... which is exactly why I LOVE it.

Yup, me too. I know people hate the toning, but i love this old original russet toning almost as much as I like color on a Peace dollar.

The reverse is nice too:

1710728_Full_Rev.jpg

Buy what you like, Jersey, its really all about what makes you happy. As long as you like it, who cares what other people think?

Agree 100%. Note that I did not once ask for anyone's approval on this coin, but rather, if they saw the same toning characteristics that I saw.

I'd call it molted.

I think you mean mottled, unless you somehow see that it has "lost its feathers" or its exoskeleton/skin? ;)

Buy what you like, Jersey, its really all about what makes you happy. As long as you like it, who cares what other people think?

Agree 100%. Note that I did not once ask for anyone's approval on this coin, but rather, if they saw the same toning characteristics that I saw.

The mere act of posting a coin here opens it up for opinions, whether you ask or not.

I'd call it molted.

I think you mean mottled, unless you somehow see that it has "lost its feathers" or its exoskeleton/skin? ;)

Yup, thanks for the correction.

The mere act of posting a coin here opens it up for opinions, whether you ask or not.

I guess technically you're right. But there are words for people like you.

I guess technically you're right. But there are words for people like you.

Sorry if I offended you, you know that is never my intention. You posted a coin, I commented. That's what we do here. I don't like every coin, you don't like every coin. That's the nature of the hobby.

It doesn't have to be across the entire face of the coin. It can reveal itself in, say, one quadrant but not in another. It depends on how the material makes contact with the coin.

Chris

I misspoke, I stand corrected.

But they do exist and even exist with textile on the obverse and reverse. Even textile Ikes exist... They are out there Jersey dont give up the hunt !

As for my opinion on the coin. I like it. I would rather have an original skin coin then a dipped bright white shiny disc. I think even russet toning gives a coin character.

I agree