• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOULD YOU REHOLDER IF???

29 posts in this topic

If NGC brought back the vintage black label as a holder request?

I have just in the last couple of days seen these holders. While they will do my coins no justice I can see where gold and blast coins could benefit.

No thanks, I did not care for the black insert holder and never bought one when they were being issued. For that same reason, I do not want to spend money to reholder perfectly good coins are in perfectly good holders already.

No thanks, I did not care for the black insert holder and never bought one when they were being issued. For that same reason, I do not want to spend money to reholder perfectly good coins are in perfectly good holders already.

Chris (thumbs u

I don't think it would be fair to those who collect early and rare slabs and have paid a premium to buy those slabs. Perhaps the mint should start striking 1916-D dimes and 1909 svdb cents.

I wouldn't.

I have always preferred the white background. Before there were slabs I was placing my best pieces in custom made Capital holders. I always had the Lucite insert in white, not black. It just looks better IMO.

Why spend the money for asthetics only???

wheat

I see no problem in spending significant sums of money to store your collection in a way that makes it more enjoyable to you. That said, having a coin slabbed for aesthetic reasons only - not for me. Reholdering a scratched/damaged holder - sure, absolutely. Upgrading to edgeview - fine. Reholdering for a different color though would not be worth the expense for me though.

I have just in the last couple of days seen these holders. While they will do my coins no justice I can see where gold and blast coins could benefit.

Only if it were a free service. I couldn't really care less about the color of the plastic surrounding my certified coins.

Edited to add: my goal would be to reholder certain of my coins in scruffy slabs.

To me it's a complete waste of money. Again, FOR ME.

I'd much rather buy a new coin.

jom

I don't think it would be fair to those who collect early and rare slabs and have paid a premium to buy those slabs. Perhaps the mint should start striking 1916-D dimes and 1909 svdb cents.

Fair? A person chooses what to buy and for what reason. It is very doubtful NGC would do so, so I believe it is a moot point, but if they did, they would be within their rights.

They never played the "pay more for the black slab" game. Just like if PCGS redid the doily holders.....about 100% doubtful they would do it, but if they did, it is their right to do so as they never played any part after the initial slabbing.

It's not comparable to the USMint minting past releases anymore. Maybe if you compared it to something like the original Australian Lunar Series.....limited mintage on the dragon...then, 12 years later, they do a 2nd round....so if someone wanted a bullion dragon coin, there were more choices now.

I, for one, would find it fine if NGC or PCGS relived their "popular" slabs, but I know others wouldn't. Thing is that they moved away from those slabs for a reason and have moved forward. I don't see them going backwards.

NO and now all the plastic fiends are probably mad for overpaying for them, unless you can distinguish old from new......it will still ruin the appeal of the originals. IMHO.

While I think these retro holders are cool, I do not find a black insert to be flattering to a majority of coins, save for dipped Morgans and Modern proofs.

The white gasket is preferable to the black because it creates a neutral, white balance (of sorts) that detracts from very few coins. The same cannot be said about a black gasket, which would make darker coins, in particular, hard to see.

I don't think NGC would do a 100% throwback because they would not want to compromise all the security features that have been added to the holders over the years. If they decided to do this, it would most likely be a black insert holder with the modern hologram, etc. This would also allow collectors to recognize an original old holder from a modern throwback.

I see this idea as a novelty; but there are slab collectors out there; so there would probably be a market for it, just like the Early Release labels (especially if NGC did it on a limited time basis).

if ngc offered the black holder again

i would reholder any blast white unc pl dpl morgans and any gold coins in unc and any blast white proof deep cameo cameo 19th century silver coins

i dont have any but if i had i would if ngc brought back the black slab

great thread question by the way!!

I actually DO reholder most if not all my graded collectibles at least once. I wonder though how this affects a CAC certified coin? Do they offer an option to have the item re-stickered if the owner chooses to reholder the coin through the original TPG?

Or...do you have to have CAC re-certify it again?

Interesting question...

Respectfully,

'mint'

I actually DO reholder most if not all my graded collectibles at least once. I wonder though how this affects a CAC certified coin? Do they offer an option to have the item re-stickered if the owner chooses to reholder the coin through the original TPG?

Interesting question...

Respectfully,

'mint'

If it comes back with a different serial number I would think CAC would have to treat it as a new submission.

Interesting question...

Respectfully,

'mint'

If the serial number is the same and you do a rough scan of the old holder with the sticker, CAC will resticker the reholdered coin for $3(?). Some collectors just resubmit the coin, but in the interest of preserving the population report, I would not. I would hate for the CAC population reports (which should be accurate if properly maintained in the next 5-10 years) to be compromised.

Michigan Masters Numismatic Services(MMNS) uses black holders. www.mmnscoin.com Ken potter offers his signature service for error and other mint mistakes. I've bought coins in MMNS slabbs before but never sent any in to be slabbed.

Michigan Masters Numismatic Services(MMNS) uses black holders. www.mmnscoin.com Ken potter offers his signature service for error and other mint mistakes. I've bought coins in MMNS slabbs before but never sent any in to be slabbed.

This has nothing to do with the post question. Nor is mmns recognized as a reliable grading service. :signofftopic:

This has nothing to do with the post question. Nor is mmns recognized as a reliable grading service. :signofftopic:

I like chocolate milk. Hey look a squirrel. :whee:

Sorry to be off topic. Thought maybe those who like the black holders would like to know.

I like chocolate milk. Hey look a squirrel. :whee:

Sorry to be off topic. Thought maybe those who like the black holders would like to know.

If all you care about is a black slab, coin world sells them and you can slab your coin and give it any grade you deem appropriate. Makes more sense than using a third world grading service with no credability.

If all you care about is a black slab, coin world sells them and you can slab your coin and give it any grade you deem appropriate. Makes more sense than using a third world grading service with no credability.

Actually, the inserts for Coin World's slabs are dark green, which doesn't look as good as the black ones. The small holders with the black inserts have been discontinued.

Anyway, if a slab is irreparably damaged and I can't appreciate the coin, it gets reholdered. If it's a rare slab and someone's actually willing to pay more for it than the coin's worth, and I can find the same coin in an undamaged slab, they can buy it from me for a premium over what the other coin would cost me and I wouldn't reholder it. If it's a rare slab and a not-so-generic coin that I wouldn't be able to replace easily, the coin wins and the slab loses -- reholder.