• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of grade on this 1971-S IKE?

11 posts in this topic

The coin appears to be a Proof. It looks fairly clean except for a mark that is in a bad place, the second "1" in the date. Unfortunately it's hard to miss a mark in that place. That could really knock it down because it's usual to see a strong mark like that on a silver Proof Ike. Otherwise the piece apears to have a decent look.

I'm guessing maybe PR-66 or 67.

If it is from a Blue Pack, it is an Uncirculated coin. I don't recall seeing a blue pack piece like that with a mark on the date. As such I don't think that it is worth sending in for a slab grade because of the location of the scratch.

If it is from a Blue Pack, it is an Uncirculated coin. I don't recall seeing a blue pack piece like that with a mark on the date. As such I don't think that it is worth sending in for a slab grade because of the location of the scratch.

I agree. Absent the ding on the numeral, I could have seen the coin grading as high as MS67 with those pictures (which are difficult to decipher). With the ding, I think you are looking at a 65.

Edited to add: Apparently the 1971-s is a better date; comment regarding erroneous common date pricing was removed.

Edited to add: Apparently the 1971-s is a better date; comment regarding erroneous common date pricing was removed.

No, its not really. Any Ike is going to be expensive at 67 - but this one is no where near. At 65, which is a good estimate, the coin is worth about $20, maybe. Thus, unless there is some ulterior motive for submitting it, this was a poor investment.

No, its not really. Any Ike is going to be expensive at 67 - but this one is no where near. At 65, which is a good estimate, the coin is worth about $20, maybe. Thus, unless there is some ulterior motive for submitting it, this was a poor investment.

there is, I submitted it through Teletrade raw, and will buy it back if it doesn't bring $100

Any Ike is going to be expensive at 67...

Actually this is not true; it's usually the clad business strike issues that are expensive in MS67. Many of the uncirculated silver "S" minted coins can be had for $35 or so in NGC/PCGS holders. The 1971-S is a better date within this limited sub-series.

Any Ike is going to be expensive at 67

The 1972-1974 S mint mark Business strike silver Ike's can be had in MS67 all for around $40-$80.