• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's March 2012 BALTIMORE SHOW REPORT w/lots of pics!!!

21 posts in this topic

Wednesday : My flight was very early in the morning and when I arrived at the airport, it was nice to see some familiar faces since several PCGS folks were leaving on the same plane as me. Then when I got to my connection in Houston, the plane had another bunch of coin people, some of whom were seated in my row and the immediate surrounding rows. So it was great to be able to chat with other coin dealers during our flight, and then even share a taxi to our hotels. The best thing when I arrived in Baltimore was that the weather was so wonderfully warm - I felt like I was still in SoCal!

Here’s a photo of the city from my room

Baltimore-20120321-01654.jpg

After settling in, I met up with Rick at M&S Grill. We sat out on the patio that overlooked the harbor and the USS Constellation. It was so great to have dinner and drinks outside in such comfortable weather with beautiful scenery – made me feel like I was at home!

Baltimore-20120321-01656.jpg

Baltimore-20120321-01657.jpg

Mmmmm, the Guinness tasted so good!

Baltimore-20120321-01655.jpg

Rick was checking the Stacks Bowers auction which was going on right then

Baltimore-20120321-01659.jpg

After dinner, we met up with some other folks at a familiar Shula’s Steakhouse. I always look forward to getting together with and catching up with my dealer friends at these coin shows. But with the all day traveling and time change, it was soon time to call it a night.

Thursday: Set up for the dealers began at 8am, but I try to give Todd a head start setting up his photography equipment before I arrive so we’re not in each other’s way, so I didn’t arrive until around 9am (that’s my excuse, and I’m sticking to it!). Here are some photos of the convention center and lounge area.

Baltimore-20120323-01708.jpg

Baltimore-20120322-01669.jpg

Baltimore-20120323-01710.jpg

Baltimore-20120323-01707.jpg

Baltimore-20120322-01668.jpg

The wonderful Whitman show helpers!

Baltimore-20120322-01667.jpg

Baltimore-20120322-01666.jpg

We were on a waiting list to get a better booth location and finally were able to move a little closer to the center of the bourse so we had new neighbors, including a very pleasant surprise - Matt/BillyGoatsGruff who works for Pinnacle was right behind us! We had a good time throughout the show bantering back and forth and shooting rubber bands (ok, I admit that was only a one-way activity). Unfortunately, I forgot to take his picture!

Mark Feld was Todd’s first customer, so of course I had to get the obligatory Feld funny face photo for my report!

Baltimore-20120322-01662.jpg

Also, another familiar face (Goldbully) stopped by early to say hi

Baltimore-20120322-01663.jpg

During setup, the show was already beginning to buzz with all the activity that goes with unpacking and organizing a coin booth. The usual early birds were all over the bourse, and I had several dealers bring me some great coins that I bought for my inventory, including a beautiful magenta-toned proof 1866 2 cent piece. I can’t wait to see how Todd’s image of this beauty comes out. Here’s a group of some of my pretty newps.

Baltimore-20120323-01701.jpg

The public was let in around noon, and there was quite a crowd who steadily began streaming in and soon filled up the bourse.

Baltimore-20120322-01665.jpg

MsMorrisine stopped by and brought me a very nice bottle of Napa cab, for which I was very grateful since I would have had to hunt some down at a local store since I don’t usually bring wine with me when I have to fly to a show. He also brought a huge pile of blue PCGS boxes that we gave out.

After the show on Thursday, I met up with a bunch of folks at my favorite chain restaurant PF Changs for drinks and appetizers. (I especially love their dumplings!)

Baltimore-20120323-01723.jpg

I was in the mood for something sweet, so I asked the bartender to make me what I call a “foo foo drink.” She created this wonderful blue rum-filled concoction called a “Poolside.” That’s the kind of drink that could be dangerous as it goes down so smooth and then kicks you in the butt before you know it!

Baltimore-20120323-01719.jpg

We then headed over to Da Mimmo’s Italian restaurant for dinner where we met up with even more folks.

Baltimore-20120322-01674.jpg

Baltimore-20120322-01675.jpg

Rick Snow, me, Brian Wagner, Ricks FBI friend Neil, and his other friend Steve

IMG-20120322-01672.jpg

Me and Rick’s friend, Neil

IMG-20120322-01678.jpg

Now let me just say that this place is a little pricey but I’d count it as one of my top 5 restaurants of all time, and probably in my top 2 Italian restaurants of all time. Every dish was extremely tasty, the staff was over-the-top helpful, and the wine was superb!

IMG-20120322-01685.jpg

IMG-20120322-01686.jpg

I loved their fancy personalized plates!

IMG-20120322-01677.jpg

This oyster appetizer actually had a live little fish floating around in the glass below the oysters!

IMG-20120322-01683.jpg

You can never go wrong with Silver Patron

IMG-20120322-01684.jpg

I had the most yummy lobster dish I’ve ever eaten- it was served in a burgundy wine/garlic cream sauce.

IMG-20120322-01690.jpg

And their lamb was so huge (25 oz. I think) that even split in half each piece was more than sufficient.

IMG-20120322-01691.jpg

Oh, and did I mention their garlic bread? It was the BEST garlic bread on the planet – just ask anyone who’s tasted it!!!

IMG-20120322-01687.jpg

The atmosphere was also very nice since the room we were in only had about 10 tables – there were even a couple other groups of coin dealers having dinner.

IMG-20120322-01682.jpg

And the walls were covered with photographs of famous people who had eaten there over the years.

Baltimore-20120322-01673.jpg

IMG-20120322-01671.jpg

So if you ever want to know how to find a good place to eat after a coin show, just ask a coin dealer!

After dinner we all went to our now familiar dueling piano bar – Howl at the Moon in the Power Plant district.

Baltimore-20120322-01692.jpg

Baltimore-20120322-01693.jpg

Baltimore-20120322-01694.jpg

Once again, we had a ton of fun – that place is such a hoot! The same guys who played when we were there last November were there again. They have a lot of personality and really know how to engage the audience.

Baltimore-20120322-01695.jpg

The “top that dollar” message board with my typical message

Baltimore-20120322-01700.jpg

Souvenir tee-shirt

Baltimore-20120322-01696.jpg

Friday: It was an absolutely beautiful day!!! Baltimore was bright and warm, even in the morning.

Baltimore-20120323-01709.jpg

The public was let in at 10am and there soon was a large buzz all around the bourse. All of the aisles seemed full of collectors on the hunt. Todd and I were quite busy well into the afternoon, which was unusual for a Friday.

Baltimore-20120323-01702.jpg

Todd photographed an extremely amazing toned Indian cent proof collection!! They were all PF66 and PF67’s with one PF68 which had to be the most perfect Indian cent I have examined. I was literally drooling because my mouth dropped open as I peered at each one of these stunning pieces. Each one had gorgeous and vibrant neon colors – from intense St. Patrick’s day green to electric royal blues and violet purples – all with deep glass-like mirrors. Every time I looked at another piece, I gasped in awe. The owner told me he spent years compiling this collection, some of which he bought raw and got holdered himself. Being able to view in person such one-of-a-kind and extremely beautiful pieces like these makes it worth having to share a booth with Todd!!! (JK of course!) Hopefully with the owner’s permission Todd will be able to post some of them but in the meantime, here’s a mediocre picture of a picture of just one.

Baltimore-20120323-01705.jpg

I bought some more inventory pieces, including a really nice 1877 Indian cent in PCGS AU50 and a hard-to-find PCGS MS63 BN 1867/67 Indian cent – both of which lasted about an hour in my case then went to new happy homes. I also bought a few more beautiful Conder tokens to add to my personal collection which I submitted to NGC, along with several others I had bought over the past few months. One new piece is extremely rare and I was very pleased to add it to my collection. I can’t wait to get those little puppies back in my hands!

Here are some of the Conder tokens that I submitted to NGC for grading

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Several of the usual forum members stopped by, some of whom I didn’t get a chance to photograph because I was quite busy, but here are a couple of them.

Shorecall/Leon

Baltimore-20120323-01703.jpg

Leebone/Leo and Penny

Baltimore-20120323-01715.jpg

PCGS was busy as usual!

Baltimore-20120323-01714.jpg

TeleTrade and one of their cute hardworking young reps, Sydney

Baltimore-20120324-01729.jpg

And here’s Todd actually working and selling some of my coins to a customer!!

Baltimore-20120323-01711.jpg

Friday night after the show since we all enjoyed the appetizers at PF Chang's we decided to just go back there for dinner - it's right across from the Power Plant district

Baltimore-20120323-01722.jpg

Baltimore-20120323-01721.jpg

Some of the same group as Friday night!

Baltimore-20120323-01724.jpg

There was this adorable duck couple that just hung out all evening right next to the patio

Baltimore-20120323-01727.jpg

There was one weird incident while we were having dinner on the patio. A guy on the sidewalk next to the patio just passed out and started having convulsions. I called 911 but the guy eventually woke up and didn't want any help because he said he was sniffing from a can of the stuff that you use to clean computer keyboards. He then stood up and just took off running. Very strange!

After dinner, I was pooped so I just headed back to my cozy bed and watched a movie.

Saturday: I arrived early (early for me is any time before 10am!) so I could get my Conder tokens ready to be submitted to NGC and to finish some inventorying and paperwork. It was relatively quiet on the bourse until the public was let in. Then the buzz began again. Whitman reps told me that there was a larger than usual attendance for a Saturday, perhaps due to the change in weather from warm and sunny to cool and rainy.

Here are a couple more forum members who stopped by…

Crypto/John and his very cute little guy Paddy

Baltimore-20120324-01731.jpg

Halfhunter06/Chris

Baltimore-20120324-01730.jpg

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to charge my cell phone/camera Friday night so my batter was very low and I had to keep it teathered to my computer for recharging and wasn’t able to take as many photos on Saturday.

Then before we knew it, it was time for Todd to begin packing (he had a 4pm flight), then as soon as he left for the airport, I had to pack since I had a 5pm flight. I don’t know about other coin dealers but for me, traveling to and from a show by air is the most stressful part of being a coin dealer. I get very anxious and tense each time before I fly to a show because I am thinking about all the things that can go wrong– forgetting something crucial, being followed by some unscrupulous person, being hassled by TSA, missing my flight, etc. So I am not very chatty during this time and hope if you happen to stop by during this time, you’ll understand.

Luckily, however, so far all my travels have gone relatively smoothly with no significant issues, and thankfully this trip was also uneventful. I arrived at my terminal, headed to the bar/restaurant nearest my gate for a snack and my usual pre-flight beverage.

District5-20120324-01733.jpg

I even ran into some other coin dealers who were on my same flight (which is actually reassuring since we tend to “watch each other’s back” – they were as equally exhausted as I was!

One of my poker playing dealer buddies, Bill

District5-20120324-01736.jpg

The Baltimore weather sure changed on Saturday being cloudy with dreary rain all day. I saw our plane sitting on the tarmac in the rain and began looking forward to getting home.

District5-20120324-01735.jpg

I soon boarded my plane and once again began the long journey home where my sweet hubby was waiting for me!

So my overall thoughts and impressions of this March Baltimore show are that it was a very well-attended show and we were very busy, but from my own experience and from talking with other dealers, this particular show had more than its share of people who were “just looking because I didn’t bring any money” and “just wanted to see how much you’re selling your coin for because I have one just like it” and “can you tell me how much each penny in this baggy full of 1950’s wheaties are worth” and “I have this coin that has a weird thingy on the date, can you tell me what it’s worth even though I left it at home” and my favorite, a guy says, after looking at 30 different coins in the exact dates and grades requested, “nope, didn’t see anything I like.” But of course I understand that is part of this business and is also what teaches me more patience than my kids ever did (and probably why I REALLY enjoy having a glass of wine at my shows!!!).

Guess you haven't seen many of my show reports, have you?

I've read every one you've posted over the last three or four months. Maybe I just missed him before, or because I didn't know what he looked like, if you didn't specifically list his name, I wouldn't have caught it. **shrugs**

Either way, as someone who has never been to a coin show yet, I love living vicariously through all of your reports. =)

Great report, Charmy.

You know, I don't recall Baltimore ever looking that nice, even around the waterfront. Of course, it was back in the 60's when I used to frequent the poolrooms there.

Chris

Great report Charmy!

That's the first photo of Mark Feld I've ever seen. Where's his lab coat and beaker?! Heh.

You never been to CSNS?

These wonderfully delicious reports are examples of how to best attend a show, by trying to make it a party as much as anything else, as long as you can do so securely in regard to numismatic considerations, and have some extra time and extra space on your credit card limit.

Thank you everyone, I'm very glad to know you appreciate my reports! Although it does take a lot of time and effort, I do enjoy putting them together and posting them on the forums.

Alan, I see Mark Feld at almost every large show I attend and try to take his photo since he is such a character and always a good sport in allowing me to include him in my reports. He usually appears in most of my reports except for the last few. Perhaps I should include his photo in my reports more discretely and start a "Where's Feld" game and see who can find him!

RWB, I too am sorry I didn't get to say hi. Hopefully, next time we'll have time for a quick chat and photo op for my report!

Aegisll and CyberspaceVoid - Good Eye!!!! You are correct in that "Oyster" Conder was struck over an already struck "King" Conder like the one pictured here, that's why I bought both. For those who didn't notice, if you look on the face of the King you can see the word "Oyster" going north to south right down the middle of his face.

(And, by the way, I buy Conder tokens for my personal collection and don't sell them unless I happen to upgrade one.)

My next show report will be from the PNNA Tukwila/Seattle show - hope to see some of you there!