• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PL Peace dollars

30 posts in this topic

I have a hard time identyfying these even when people post them as such. I consider the Peace dollars one of my better eye as a collector so it really bugs me that I cant instantly say, yeah, thats different. This is a peace dollar that has a look that is definitiley different from my others but I dont immediately think PL. Though compared to one that was posted once ATS it has a similar look. The key to it is the spot under the G which in hand is fully mirrored, impossible to picture. A couple other spots are like that too. The ATS coin had the same mirrors in the same spots. Obviousl if the entire fields were like that I would see it as a PL. But still the fields are different on this one, but the toning makes it tough to distinguish it as PL. What do others think?

23goldobv.JPG

23goldrev.JPG

23goldslab.JPG

Yes, that one appears to be "different" as you say. It isn't quite to the level that I would even call semi-prooflike, but its headed in that direction. Sometimes, you get Peace dollars with this intense, blazing luster, and they almost appear semi-PL. That spot under the G is probably fully PL - but you need the whole coin to look that way.

The closest I've ever seen to PL on a Peace is mine, graded 63*

IMG_8614.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

Hmm..also a 23...interesting. Are any designated PL in any TGP?

ANACS has slabbed a couple, and I think there are a couple of NGC pieces. If you come across one, please let me know.

There is an anacs PL 62 on ebay now for moon money. Just search for PL under Peace dolls it will come up.

Hmm..also a 23...interesting. Are any designated PL in any TGP?

ANACS has slabbed a couple, and I think there are a couple of NGC pieces. If you come across one, please let me know.

There is an anacs PL 62 on ebay now for moon money. Just search for PL under Peace dolls it will come up.

I saw that one; I'm not fully convinced, and even if it is a full PL, I'm not sure that the coin would command that large of a premium (although there certainly would be a large premium attached). Thanks for the information.

I've had my eye on that ANACS one for a long time. The price is just way too outlandish, and I'm not sure it would get the PL at NGC.

I agree, and he wouldn't come down on the price as much I would like. Last time I checked, we were still far apart. Moreover, NGC's crossover policy concerns me; it would require the ANACS coin to be cracked out without a guarantee that it will end up in a PL NGC slab. PCGS won't designate it as PL regardless. It's a difficult position; the coin would be much more liquid if the seller could get the coin in a NGC holder. Maybe he tried to cross the coin (before the new crossover policy) and it didn't cross. I'm risk adverse and will probably never own a PL Peace Dollar unless it's in a top tier TPG holder.

You know what might be cheaper... buy a 21 that was actually struck with the proof dies...These coins come very well struck and with all the die polishing lines they have a semi-PL appearance, especially the early die examples.

http://www.vamworld.com/1921-P+Peace+VAM-1H

I had one that was MS but was lightly cleaned... pretty coin.

I have a hard time identyfying these even when people post them as such. I consider the Peace dollars one of my better eye as a collector so it really bugs me that I cant instantly say, yeah, thats different. This is a peace dollar that has a look that is definitiley different from my others but I dont immediately think PL. Though compared to one that was posted once ATS it has a similar look. The key to it is the spot under the G which in hand is fully mirrored, impossible to picture. A couple other spots are like that too. The ATS coin had the same mirrors in the same spots. Obviousl if the entire fields were like that I would see it as a PL. But still the fields are different on this one, but the toning makes it tough to distinguish it as PL. What do others think?

Your coins appears to be a middle die state; mostly frosty surfaces with traces of the original reflectivity still left in spots. A PL dollar must have fully mirrored surfaces over 100% of the fields. The mirrors must be capable of reflecting objects or print clearly, at a distance of 2-4 inches.

That ANACS on ebay doesnt stand out as PL to me either, however the date seems to have some frost to it. Thats the only thing that sticks out to me without seeing it in hand who knows. Certainly no interest anywhere near even half that asking price.

Your coins appears to be a middle die state; mostly frosty surfaces with traces of the original reflectivity still left in spots. A PL dollar must have fully mirrored surfaces over 100% of the fields. The mirrors must be capable of reflecting objects or print clearly, at a distance of 2-4 inches.

You are using Morgan dollar standards. Clearly Physics' coin is not your regular peace dollar and I am pretty sure you wont find that kind of refelctivity in his coin. I dont think you can use morgan standards for them. Yes I know the TPGs do but I also dont think you can go by the TPG standards on this. Physic's coin commands a premium as a PL regardless of what NGC and ATS would say on it. Anyone who looks at that and has a clue knows what it is. I feel the same way about cameo WLH proofs that are only missing the sun frost.

1923 Peace dollars often have booming luster. Yours (OP) appears to have this, plus some toning. The little reflective patch by the G in GOD is actually die damage -- a nice, clean scrape that left the die shiny there, and that shine was transferred to the coin.

Standards for "proof-like" have to remain constant. It simply means that there might be none for a certain coin design.

Quite a few '22 and '23 dollars have small fully mirror spots on them -- they seem to occur near/around the obverse motto.

You are using Morgan dollar standards. Clearly Physics' coin is not your regular peace dollar and I am pretty sure you wont find that kind of refelctivity in his coin. I dont think you can use morgan standards for them. Yes I know the TPGs do but I also dont think you can go by the TPG standards on this. Physic's coin commands a premium as a PL regardless of what NGC and ATS would say on it. Anyone who looks at that and has a clue knows what it is. I feel the same way about cameo WLH proofs that are only missing the sun frost.

"Not your regular Peace dollar" and "Prooflike" are two different things. I was talking about your coin and said nothing about Jason's dollar, which I consider a fabulous rarity for being so close to PL.

@michael_s -> now that has to be one of the most PL Peace $ I have ever seen. Just simply fantastic...

Agreed... finest i have seen too. Those are some serious mirrors and quite a bit of frost to boot.

Nice coins! Sharing my semi-PL '21:

1921cn.jpg

NGC 64[font:Lucida Console]*[/font]

Sorry for the pink reflections in the photos.

-Mike

Deserving of the star grade (thumbs u

Nice coins! Sharing my semi-PL '21:

1921cn.jpg

NGC 64[font:Lucida Console]*[/font]

Sorry for the pink reflections in the photos.

-Mike

Where in the heck did you find this amazingly wonderful 21?? This is with out question the nicest one I've ever seen!! Thanks for sharing....Joe

i have had no luck in finding any PL peace dollars, the closest one to a PL i have is a 22-d that is heavily toned on the obverse, but the reverse is white and unusually reflective. For my peace dollar collection a certified NGC PL would be the holy grail, and as of now there is only 1, doubt i will ever own it :(

The two dates that tend to come up the most are 26s and the 34d. I have a 26s that is border line full Morgan PL that I bought a few years ago from Peaceman (not sure if he posts here). It has full if not terribly deep mirrors on both the obv and rev and looks really weird as it is devoid of cartwheel which imparts a completely different look to peace dollars. It is PCGS plastic (MS63) but it might be the one coin that I might want in NGC plastic someday. I need to throw it in one of these times to get it photographed if Todd is up for the challenge. The handful of other supposed PL dollars I have seen were not even close and were really just flashy cartwheels.