• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The importance of the initial impression of a coin

21 posts in this topic

I'm in a quandary, a 3cN that I spoke of not winning on eBay has become available. My initial impression was very high, and I still like it a lot. The quandary is that I will be going to the Myrtle Beach show to meet with a dealer who I spoke to about war nickels. Do I spend the $500-600 for this coin, and only have around $500 left for the show, or should I save it all for the show? My first impressions of this coin have been very high. Any input on it is very welcome, the seller has perfect feedback and I really like the color of the coin in the picture.

LC-1140.jpg

LC-1140a.jpg

What is the chance that you will be able to find this coin or a comparible coin in the future vs being able to find the war nickels you are looking for? I would think the 3CN is going to be more difficult to find again but that's just me.

It depends on your reasons for buying it. As a "type", it may not be ideal, since you can get a better 1888 in an early die-state with a better impression of the design. For that matter, a more common date in higher grade might be a better alternative.

But if you like the coin for some reason not mentioned, then go for it!

This piece looks very appealing. It also has some cool clashing on the reverse which is typical for the series, I think. Still it's cool. I really like these little nickel pieces....Joe

If a single coin for a type set is what the OP is looking for, I would keep looking---this one isn't fully struck. 3CNs are quiet, easy to find in 65 and up, and the nice clash marks on the reverse are actually rather common (this is generally true of small coins, like gold $1s, H10Cs, 3CSs, 3CNs). As another poster stated, an early die state piece would likely make for a better type coin.

I think first impressions are important since they are an indicator of what you will treasure. If you look at it in hand carefully and there isn't anything that changes your opinion, then I suggest you buy it.

I've bought a couple coins that aren't in my specialty because of an instant connection I felt. During the decision process, I said to myself, "Why do you want that coin? It's not in your specialty." I then said to myself, "So what? That's an attractive coin, I find nothing objectionable about it, and it's cool." This may be such an opportunity for you. Objectively, as a type coin, I'd probably lean toward an earlier date with better defined features and no die clashes or cracks, but when a coin grabs you and is fairly priced, sometimes it best to grab back.

I think that initial impressions are important, especially if it is a coin series that you are familiar with. Sometimes I find something upon closer inspection that may change my mind on a coin but the eye appeal factor of that first impression is sometimes an excellent indicator.