• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your input requested

16 posts in this topic

Six years ago, I got the crazy idea to put together some sets of the Westward Journey nickels. I made a deal with Jerry at JP's Corner on 9 dozen of the plastic display cases for the 13-coin Westward Journey series. Each case has a slot for the 2004 P&D "Peace Medal", 2004 P&D "Keelboat", 2005 P&D "Bison", 2005 P&D "Ocean in View" and the 2006 P&D "Return to Monticello". It also has three additional slots for the different obverses that were used for those years. I already had 20,000 2004-2006 BU nickels (more than enough) in bags & rolls that I purchased from the Mint, so I purchased 9 rolls, three of each year, of proof nickels to use to show the different obverses.

My dilemma is that I don't know how I should price them. I know, you can call me a procrastinator, and it's true! It has been 6 years since this program ended, and I still haven't decided how I should price them. (It's a good thing that I'm not a dealer because I would be out of business in no time!) So, I would like your input. I expect that I will get some lowball suggestions, all in good fun, but seriously, what do you think the average person would be willing to pay for these sets?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I don't really see sets for these go as much as they did when they first came Chris. I'm thinking in a display case with all the PDS nickels that maybe $15 ea. That's JMO.

What exactly do you mean by "average person?"

Maybe at a large show with a bunch of new collectors you might be able to unload this kind of thing, but I think you'll have a harder time with the average collector.

$15 seems about right to me. Even at that price you might have trouble getting rid of them quickly as I think most people who are interested in these coins raw already have them in their collections.

From time to time I have bought what I consider to be bulk common material at very low prices so I can quickly make a profit. I would begin to consider buying these at about $2 each (seriously) and I would try to sell the whole lot of them at $4 or $5 a piece.

You could always consider donating them to a young numismatist group in your area and writing it off on your taxes...come to think of it that is exactly what I'd do with them.

Somehow when I cleaned out my proofs and modern Dollar Capital Plastic sets of Ike Dollar, SBA's and Kennedy halfs and sold them to a local dealer, I ended up with a Westward Journey proof Nickel and Medal set. The dealer offered me only $7 for it and it caught me wrong. So, I still have this set, sitting in a drawer, gathering dust.

Chris, if you can sell these, good luck to you. I figured that I will just give mine to one of the Grandkids. Maybe you waited too long? I know that I did.

What exactly do you mean by "average person?"

By average person, I was referring to the parents and/or grandparents, not necessarily collectors, who might buy them as gifts for the kids.

Chris

Somehow when I cleaned out my proofs and modern Dollar Capital Plastic sets of Ike Dollar, SBA's and Kennedy halfs and sold them to a local dealer, I ended up with a Westward Journey proof Nickel and Medal set. The dealer offered me only $7 for it and it caught me wrong. So, I still have this set, sitting in a drawer, gathering dust.

Chris, if you can sell these, good luck to you. I figured that I will just give mine to one of the Grandkids. Maybe you waited too long? I know that I did.

You've got that right, Charlie! I'll probably end up giving some of them away to new YN's.

Chris

Does it look like this? Where do you expect to sell them - 100 on eBay at $15 will take forever.

$(KGrHqJ,!m!E2D8ki1Y5BNo81zBcvg~~_12.JPG

Yes, it is the same holder, but like I said, I'll be using 3 proof coins for the different obverses.

I'm retired, so I've got nothing but time on my hands.

Chris

:(

That's a tough one, best of luck.

Are there any B&Ms in your area that you may be able to work with as consignments? They could get a box or two at a time, and put a couple out, and replace as sold. People expect to pay retail at the B&Ms, so that may work.

On ebay, you may be getting into that low value area where the PITA threshold becomes greater than the ROI factor :(

If I were buying some for my son and his friends (YNs), then I would probably only be willing to pay $5-$10. I hope I am abnormal in that aspect, on the low side, for your sake. They would largely be giveaways for me as well.

:(

That's a tough one, best of luck.

Are there any B&Ms in your area that you may be able to work with as consignments? They could get a box or two at a time, and put a couple out, and replace as sold. People expect to pay retail at the B&Ms, so that may work.

There are only two B&M's close by, and neither of them are deserving of any profit from a consignment, no matter how small it may be.

However, that reminds me. I have a close friend who has a booth at a flea market. Thanks!

Chris

However, that reminds me. I have a close friend who has a booth at a flea market. Thanks!

Chris

That was my thinking ... Flea Markets $15-18 sounds good in that type of venue

with no EBAY charges or PAYPAL

If you put in 3 proofs and go flea market route, I would probably try for $20

$20 is probably a fair retail assessment if you include the three proofs. Without the proofs, I could see $15-17.

The 3 proofs included means some extra eye appeal and a good selling point, even to the naive, because they can see for themselves those three coins are different than the other.

If I came across these I would pay from $12-$15

Joe Blow would go from $15-$18 no problemo.