• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need your opinions...

25 posts in this topic

I bought a coin on ebay a little while back. In the picture the coin looked beautifully blue with bright pink stars for toning. When I received the coin I told the guy I wanted to return it. He said ok.

the next couple of days I got stuck at work alot and never got around to mailing it back so I kept it.

Anyway, I left 5 star positive feedback except in the comment part, I simply said the picture was a little deceiving but still satisfied. Now it turns out the guy blocked me because it wont let me bid or send him a message.

now was I wrong in being honest so other buyers could be informed? Or was it more wrong that I wanted to return the coin and didnt because of the lack of time I had.....?

What do you guys think. Im hoping to get point of views from both buyers and sellers. As a seller, would that upset you?

p.s. When I messaged him I told him why. That the colors were not as vibrant as they appeared in the picture.

keep in mind I certainly have no issues with the guy. I just paid good money for a coin that wasnt as colorful as it looked in the picture. I still want to do more business, actually he has one I want to bid on now, I am just keeping in mind the color differences.

And I definetly didnt accuse, nor think that the guy purposly did this.

I think that he figured you for a flake when you delayed in sending it back and by your ambiguous feedback.

MJ

I think the important question is: Why does this bother you? If you were busy, you were busy. Things happen. If he cannot understand this, then so be it. FYI - I still would have pushed for a return. If it weren't for the inaccuracies in the description/photo, you wouldn't have had to take time out of your schedule to return it. As long as you return it within 2-3 days or so, I don't see a problem.

Edited to add: You are probably better off without him, and to answer your other questions, I don't see anything wrong with your behavior per se although as MJ alludes, it may have been confusing to him. Bottom line: if he doesn't want your business, go somewhere else. There are plenty of other sellers who will be happy to have the business.

Time to move on. There are plenty of good dealers that would welcome your business. I don't see that you did anything serious enough to warrant being blocked.

I wouldn't have used a word like "deceive" with respect to the images, unless I thought the seller did it intentionally. An innocent seller might take that very personally.

I agree that it is best to move on.

Personally, I don't have enough experience to buy coins off of eBay; therefore I do not. While I am sure you can get some deals if you have the time and the knowledge, even professional full time dealers sometimes have honest issues scanning and photographing coins. In my opinion, if I were you, I would move on and learn from this lesson.

'mint'

I'm with Mark that the word "deceive" is quite negative, and the seller probably figured you as a problem buyer. Plus ultimately this type of feedback did not accomplish anything for you as far as I can tell. Photos of coins sometimes make them look better and sometimes worse than in hand and should be used as a guide only.

I hope your future Ebay experiences are better. Best of luck.

I don't see anything too horrible with the behavior of either party here. While you might have been a little more careful with your words, the dealer could have been more understanding and may not have the patience to deal with anyone but the most ideal customers. To each his own. I think the more seasoned dealers would not block you for such behavior, and perhaps a more seasoned collector would be a tiny bit more careful with feedback. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There are lots of dealers out there, if this were someone you had a more significant relationship with my opinion might differ. As it is, I don't see the loss as all that bad.

Keep in mind also that toning colors can look different on different displays. Ever walk through a computer or tv store and look at the same picture being displayed on a dozen screens? There can be a wide variation on how a coin looks even just between monitors.. As others have said, he may perceive you as a problem and given the rather large imbalance on how eBay treats buyers and sellers, he may have seen blocking you as self protection. Yeah, I think I would just move on.

Personally I still would've emailed the guy when you had time to either let him know you were keeping the coin or still wanting to return it. I also agree with the others that the word "decieve" can be taken wrong especially to a seller with possible limited picture capabilities. Toning can be mis-construed in pictures pretty easily as we all know.

Keep in mind also that toning colors can look different on different displays. Ever walk through a computer or tv store and look at the same picture being displayed on a dozen screens? There can be a wide variation on how a coin looks even just between monitors.. As others have said, he may perceive you as a problem and given the rather large imbalance on how eBay treats buyers and sellers, he may have seen blocking you as self protection. Yeah, I think I would just move on.

Spot on there is so much hassle/Loss that can be had as a seller on ebay sometimes attack is the best form of defence .. i had one blocked who was not happy that i had blocked him so he emailed me and begged to be unblocked as he was desperate to win a number of items i had listed. so i unblocked him (everyone deserves a second chance) and to cut a long story short he stuffed me for 3 items and over £40 ..

like me you just have to ride the blows on ebay .. but i have to say its a lot better to be a buyer than a seller :)

Personally I still would've emailed the guy when you had time to either let him know you were keeping the coin or still wanting to return it. I also agree with the others that the word "decieve" can be taken wrong especially to a seller with possible limited picture capabilities. Toning can be mis-construed in pictures pretty easily as we all know.

I tried to email the guy! He blocked me before I even left the feedback or to let him know I was running late.

At least I think he blocked me. When I sent a message it would go through and said something like, we are sorry you couldnt find an answer, this seller cannot respond to your questions.......

It was something like that. I cant fully remember.

Itappeared he already blocked me once he found out I was returning and just found out later when he never got the coin back that I couldnt return it. It never even let me let him know I couldnt make it to the post office!

Basically he blocked me as soon as I told him I wanted to return it, thats how it appears to me.

And im not normally a problematic customer and I do understand that colors may differ. If I coule show you the pictures you would understand. The blues and pinks were very bright and beautiful. In hand, not at all.

Anyway, I am moving on

I bought a coin on ebay a little while back. In the picture the coin looked beautifully blue with bright pink stars for toning. When I received the coin I told the guy I wanted to return it. He said ok.

the next couple of days I got stuck at work alot and never got around to mailing it back so I kept it.

Anyway, I left 5 star positive feedback except in the comment part, I simply said the picture was a little deceiving but still satisfied. Now it turns out the guy blocked me because it wont let me bid or send him a message.

now was I wrong in being honest so other buyers could be informed? Or was it more wrong that I wanted to return the coin and didnt because of the lack of time I had.....?

What do you guys think. Im hoping to get point of views from both buyers and sellers. As a seller, would that upset you?

Yes.

You questioned his integrity publicly, with no proof that he did anything dishonest. You accused him of purposely trying to mislead buyers into thinking his item was something that it was not.

I would absolutely block you for that.

Photographing coins to accurately show what they look like depends on so many factors, including the settings of the BUYER'S monitor, it's pretty much impossible. Lighting, angle, lens...all can make a coin look completely different from one picture to the next, let alone in hand.

There's nothing wrong with being honest, but you presented your opinion about the situation, on an issue that could only BE opinion, as fact. You want other buyers to be informed....about what? That you think this seller deceives bidders with his photos? That's just your opinion, not a quantifiable fact. There's nothing wrong with being honest...there IS something wrong with presenting an opinion as fact.

I hope you're not still wondering why he blocked you. ;)

p.s. When I messaged him I told him why. That the colors were not as vibrant as they appeared in the picture.

keep in mind I certainly have no issues with the guy. I just paid good money for a coin that wasnt as colorful as it looked in the picture. I still want to do more business, actually he has one I want to bid on now, I am just keeping in mind the color differences.

The word "deceive" means to purposely mislead or misrepresent. One cannot be deceptive "on accident", by the definition of the word.

If you didn't mean that, you might have chosen your words better.

The word "deceive" means to purposely mislead or misrepresent. One cannot be deceptive "on accident", by the definition of the word.

If you didn't mean that, you might have chosen your words better.

I believe that images often can (and do) unintentionally deceive viewers. But I still wouldn't have used the word "deceive". It has a negative connotation and the seller could have understandably construed the comment as accusatory.

Yes.

You questioned his integrity publicly, with no proof that he did anything dishonest. You accused him of purposely trying to mislead buyers into thinking his item was something that it was not.

Photographing coins to accurately show what they look like depends on so many factors, including the settings of the BUYER'S monitor, it's pretty much impossible. Lighting, angle, lens...all can make a coin look completely different from one picture to the next, let alone in hand.

There's nothing wrong with being honest, but you presented your opinion about the situation, on an issue that could only BE opinion, as fact. You want other buyers to be informed....about what? That you think this seller deceives bidders with his photos? That's just your opinion, not a quantifiable fact. There's nothing wrong with being honest...there IS something wrong with presenting an opinion as fact.

First off, I clarified afterwards that I didnt write the feedback until after I found out that I could no longer message the guy(from possibly being blocked).

So in no way did I question the guys integrity publicly until after the fact that I could no longer get in touch with him to explain that I had a busy week and was past the amount of time I had to return the coin. So he never even gave me a chance to explain myself before he blocked me. I took that as he blocked me because I simply wanted to return the coin. Up until that point I had only messaged him privatly.

(thumbs u

Yes.

First off, I clarified afterwards that I didnt write the feedback until after I found out that I could no longer message the guy(from possibly being blocked).

So in no way did I question the guys integrity publicly until after the fact that I could no longer get in touch with him to explain that I had a busy week and was past the amount of time I had to return the coin. So he never even gave me a chance to explain myself before he blocked me. I took that as he blocked me because I simply wanted to return the coin. Up until that point I had only messaged him privatly.

You did not make the time restraint.... the coin is yours, quit yammering about it, some people will agree with you and some with the dealer... so live with your actions and drop it.

wheat

Others might disagree, but I feel that KeeNoooo has been treated somewhat roughly in this thread.

Apparently, the comment he made about "deceive" was after he had already been blocked by the seller. While I don't know exactly what was said by each party or when, perhaps the seller was too quick to block the buyer.

Others might disagree, but I feel that KeeNoooo has been treated somewhat roughly in this thread.

Apparently, the comment he made about "deceive" was after he had already been blocked by the seller. While I don't know exactly what was said by each party or when, perhaps the seller was too quick to block the buyer.

I concur. As I originally said, I don't think either party did anything all that bad here. Both might have some level of fault, but whatever fault it is would be miniscule. Lets not forget hindsight is 20/20.

Other than the "quit yammering" comment, which is unnecessary, I definitely disagree. KeeNooo's been treated just fine. He/she asked for opinions, and got fair ones.

Whether or not the seller blocked before or after the feedback (and it now appears it was BEFORE, though it was presented as AFTER in the OP), the seller has every right to block a buyer for wanting a return.

Not all of us are dealers, and have return charges built in. It costs money. So, if someone wants to return, they absolutely can...but I'm not going to want to do business with them again, especially given the super giant way in which I present coins, and the ability of potential buyers to ask questions.

Pictures can be unintentionally deceptive. They are, after all, inanimate objects. People, however, cannot be unintentionally deceptive. It's a contradiction of terms.

Other than the "quit yammering" comment, which is unnecessary, I definitely disagree. KeeNooo's been treated just fine. He/she asked for opinions, and got fair ones.

Whether or not the seller blocked before or after the feedback (and it now appears it was BEFORE, though it was presented as AFTER in the OP), the seller has every right to block a buyer for wanting a return.

Not all of us are dealers, and have return charges built in. It costs money. So, if someone wants to return, they absolutely can...but I'm not going to want to do business with them again, especially given the super giant way in which I present coins, and the ability of potential buyers to ask questions.

Pictures can be unintentionally deceptive. They are, after all, inanimate objects. People, however, cannot be unintentionally deceptive. It's a contradiction of terms.

I apologise for the yammering remark. I did not mean it in a disrespectful way. Where I grew up it just meant stop beating your self up by talking about it. You will never have everybody on your side. If the seller has blocked you over a misunderstanding (exactly like this one) and you are really a buyer who would be an asset to his client base then it will be his loss. If you are not a good client then only you know for sure. Because, with out a second chance to show that you did not mean any disrespect he will never know. You and I both have learned in these post, that when people cannot look you in the eye, words must be chosen carefully. Sorta like in the cowboy movies when I was a kid "Smile when you say that". All that said I am sure you will find that coin you are looking for and a dealer with whom you will be able to build a good relationship.

Wheat

The only time I have ever returned a coin to a seller was an advertised BU Jeff that was XF when it arrived. The sellers pictures were woefully inadequate and when I got the coin in hand it was not even close to the description. I contacted the seller, they issued a refund when I returned the coin (which included a photo of an actual BU vs the returned XF to illustrate my reasoning) and life went on. However, I don't typically buy toned coins, mostly because I don't feel I know enough to tell a AT from NT....especially on the bay.... Sellers there other than the big boys seem to have worse photography skills than I do and I wouldn't trust the colors displayed on the screen to be my rationale for buying a coin....JMHO.