• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats going on with shield nickels ?

149 posts in this topic

cheers Howard

well got this one from the USA today

KGrHqNpcE-v7BsPlyBPsZTOlg7g60_12-1.jpg

what a blatant RPD :grin: not 100% on the variation yet will look it up now

newcastle173-1.jpg

newcastle174.jpg

newcastle173.jpg

well done some research and i am going to say it is Flecher F-06 and unfortunately not a VP that NGC do :cry:

It's not F-06. On F-06, the date is farther east, and the RPD is more toward straight north.

I could not locate this variety in any listings. It's possible I missed it - there are a lot of '68 RPDs.

It's not F-06. On F-06, the date is farther east, and the RPD is more toward straight north.

I could not locate this variety in any listings. It's possible I missed it - there are a lot of '68 RPDs.

Cheers Howard, i wish in Flecher there was a full picture of the coin as well as the date and that would help me get the position of the date a lot better

Cheers Howard, i wish in Flecher there was a full picture of the coin as well as the date and that would help me get the position of the date a lot better

Exactly why I created SNV.

got this one tonight on a bin in the US.

not sure if there is something going on at the date probably die cracks .. but it was cheep

sellers picture

458427075_o1.jpg

a little blow up

458427075_o.jpg

Well all quiet on the shield frount at the moment :cry:

but did get my error label coin back from NGC today

thanks for the Quality service (thumbs u

coinsforsale111.jpgcoinsforsale252.jpg

now i am tempted to get all my old NCS problem coins reholdered now as they look a lot better .. or should i crack them out and re submit .. never know one may get through (tsk)

Not a very good image to tell from, but I'm pretty sure it's genuine and damaged.

I like your coin in its new holder better!

Hi all .. been very poor on the old shield front for a while now .. but did get this one today for £1.99 opening bid ($3.10)

KGrHqRhwE-yfn9hIvBPzGCiHwwg60_12-tile.jpg

lets see how it looks in the hand

There you go i said it was quiet and this little gem turned up as a BIN .. :grin:

nice to see some good pictures for a change

4CC0218922BE494FB4DA06552F24D55A-horz.jpg

cannot make my mind up on the variety at the moment

Close up

68close.jpg

Well had a look for my new error coin and for the life of me i cannot find it in fact the closest one is one from my collection and that's no where near

68close.jpg

newcastle173-2.jpg

68closer.jpg

Dooly, I don't see your latest acquisition listed anywhere. Another new find! New RPDs do show up all the time still, since there are many that are not catalogued.

Well this cheep one came super quick

KGrHqRhwE-yfn9hIvBPzGCiHwwg60_12-tile.jpg

Nothing mega but a nice 1869 "Wide date" should conserve well

newcastle192.jpg

reverse is a little more interesting IIC with 4 broken letters EDSR

newcastle191.jpg

Nobody has ever done a study of broken letters on the shield nickel reverse of '70.

Since the mint went to the master hub/master die/working hub/working die setup with this hub (previously they used master hub/working die), then letters can break in all different sequences as the different working hubs broke.

I think I hear Dooly volunteering to take on this project :-)

I have noticed a trend where even the graded coins seem to be priced absurdly high.

yes (thumbs u BUT when you look at other series (of the same age) you can sort of understand what people are expecting them to be worth. and for graded "mint error" ones .. there is no guide price not even some sort of scale IE: RPD add 25% TPD add 30%.

I had a chance of a very good error not long back it was a at least MS-53 missing leaf type on a 1869.

NGC price for 53 $100

Missing leaf ? say $50

= $150

But had been cleaned and totally ungradable but i did not have a 1869 ML so what to bid ? i bid up to £80 = $124 way over for an ungradeble coin Eh! did i win it NO. now people with a MS-50 ish coin see that price and think that one made it so mine should make that kind of money not knowing it was a error

Nobody has ever done a study of broken letters on the shield nickel reverse of '70.

Since the mint went to the master hub/master die/working hub/working die setup with this hub (previously they used master hub/working die), then letters can break in all different sequences as the different working hubs broke.

I think I hear Dooly volunteering to take on this project :-)

O Howard you have started something now :idea:

Missing leaf shield nickels usually bring stronger money than you might expect. You bid about a 50% premium for the variety - I usually see them go for at least a 100% premium.

Somehow ML varieties have always a little less appeal for me. It's not as much fun to look at something that's not there as opposed to wide-spaced DDO. :-)

Missing leaf shield nickels usually bring stronger money than you might expect. You bid about a 50% premium for the variety - I usually see them go for at least a 100% premium.

Somehow ML varieties have always a little less appeal for me. It's not as much fun to look at something that's not there as opposed to wide-spaced DDO. :-)

Yes a Well moved date is such a nice thing to find but people seem not to miss them to often where as the ML seems to be missed because as you say its just not there

I will change my bidding on them now after your advice .. guess i was being cheap (as usual) :devil:

Picked up this rotten coin today but at £3.20 i will give it a good home .. and a little better date than usual

KGrHqVi0ELZvikFrBP5uWfmJjQ60_12.jpg

KGrHqVl8E-lGN0heBP5uWcC8Q60_12.jpg

Well my new Unrecorded 18/18 (thanks Howard) came this morning from the USA

and i have to say i like it, not to many die cracks but some interesting die polishing ? marks (brown)

newcastle193.jpg

newcastle194.jpg