• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats going on with shield nickels ?

149 posts in this topic

That 74 has a face only his daddy could love. Congrats on the rest of them though.

:luhv: guess thats why they call me the daft Englishman :screwy:

Dooly, I like your "golfer's 1871." You know, the one with the hole in one.

Your '74 does have some pretty heavy corrosion. The surfaces are almost for sure damaged underneath, so cleaning won't improve it much.

The '68 is an r68 with one broken letter. Do you think it's a DDO? I see some hints around the annulet, but it's too low grade to be sure and I can't see any confirmation anywhere else.

lol haah! nice one may use the hole in one gag in my next holed coin listing on ebay :grin:

yep think so with the 74

the 68 i am hopeing that it is a RPD "like" F-102 but as you say it is low grade but when i enlarged it seemed to have the top of the 1 showing as well .. we shall see ..

KGrHqJjIE697gMJIBPjUcY360_12.jpg

well the shield came from this ebay group today

newcastle979-tile.jpg

i cannot see anything special but a nice coin with some nice die cracks ..

SOME VERY SAD NEWS .. :cry::sick::cry:

I found this on Ebay in the US and i needed it so badly .. but i had no idea how much to bid as i have never seen one of this Variety for sale before (the different dates ones i have in my collection were picked up for peanuts).. my Guesstamate was £80.00 UK seen as someone had destroyed this lovely coin by cleaning it to death doh!

Well i was the under bidder .. should i have bid more ? what do you think

KGrHqJrYE88g6VtiBPcMkdr9gQ60_3.jpg

Thanks to the member who bid on it for me .. :headbang:

This shield came from The USA today :applause: been cherry picking looks to be a Obverse hub A Reverse Hub IIb with FS# 002.94 one broken letter type C in cents .. and what i thaught i could see in the sellers picture is true :grin:

even in this poor grade I can make it out to be RPD FS-003.1 / F-102

" The "1" is repunched far North and is seen protuding from the left side of the ball" URS-2

:applause:

Sellers pictures

68-tile.jpg

my scan

newcastle038-horz.jpg

and a close-up of the RPD with different lighting angles

coinsalenew020.jpg

coinsalenew017.jpg

picked this wide date up tonight on ebay .. looks like a week strike to the reverse more than ware .. when you see the condition of the obverse.. also there could be some cherry action around the date or just a bad picture but at the price i will give it a risk.

sellers pictures

562836760_o-horz.jpg

Another BIN i found last night .. and the seller has just taken my offer on it .. poor picture but has possabilitys and no picture of the reverse

KGrHqFrcE88g9cKRSBPgPWCOSDQ60_12.jpg

Not a lot happening this week with my shield acquisitions .. still waiting on two from the USA .. but did pick this 67 from UK ebay for little money

sellers pictures

KGrHqFocE9eGelYJBPg0F6NV0Q60_12.jpgKGrHqFlsE9JRmSbyyBPg0GLOp660_12.jpg

My pictures

newcastle045-horz.jpg

nothing special but a nice one .. lets hope I do better next week

Dooly, are you trying to corner the Shield Nickel market? lol

(I do agree they are an undervalued series :) )

I think the saying is get them when there on the bottom .. I wonder how many people wish they had picked there Favorited ones up when they were less in favour

Hi got one of the coins from the us today .. posted on the 11th .. Bit slow eh!

562836760_o-horz.jpg

It is a 1869 wide date with a IIb reverse

USA1869wd.jpg

and this is what i saw in the sellers picture.. as far as i can tell the 18 of the date is re-punched to the north with the top of the showing and possibly the base of the 1 showing on both sides on the shank (picture not showing the left hand side very well)

I have been through Fletcher and cannot find anything on this coin .. F-102 has a north RP on the 18 but the top of the 8 is not as near to the ball .. F-108 has almost an identical die crack through the 8-6-9 as mine but RP on this one is 69 south.. So in conclusion and up for discussion here is ?? have i Cherrypicked a unrecorded RPD from Ebay ? or is there some other answer to this coin

coinsforsale105.jpg

Die crack markers in blue (I can find no die cracks on the reverse)

coinsforsale100-1.jpg

The only marker i can find on the reverse is ? Die polishing marks to the bottom (marked in yellow) and a very thin to the C almost like the so called "rat tail"

coinsforsale101.jpg

Picked another up this morning in the uk .. love the sideways photos .. lol

seems to have a lot of full stars to the reverse lets see

KGrHqNpUE7BcvhO5BPjnri4fg60_12.jpgKGrHqJl4E86ESQwRPBPjnskR860_12.jpg

Another BIN i found last night .. and the seller has just taken my offer on it .. poor picture but has possabilitys and no picture of the reverse

UPDATE: well what a hassle this one has been .. seller took my offer on this one then told me that they refused to send it over the pond to me !

nicely a forum member offered to have it sent to them in the US and now i have heard it was posted this morning :banana: so should be with me sooooooon!!

they said it looked ok .. which was nice, things us collectors will do to acquire a coin eh!

Picked another up this morning in the uk .. love the sideways photos .. lol

seems to have a lot of full stars to the reverse lets see

KGrHqNpUE7BcvhO5BPjnri4fg60_12.jpgKGrHqJl4E86ESQwRPBPjnskR860_12.jpg

Well this one came supper quick this morning 5* to the seller .. and you guessed it it's a Cherry :grin:

my picture

1882.jpg

the cherry is a RPD on the 2 in a north direction

coinsforsale158.jpg

the closest i can find is F-14 but that is punched on the 8 & 2 and is further away from the ball .. so another unlisted one ? we will see

Obverse Die markers for this RPD are die cracks marked in blue

1882oc.jpg

Reverse Die markers are .. Die cracks marked in blue and Rim cud marked in red

1882rc.jpg

Well thanks to a very kind forum member :headbang: this coin came today

and to a shield aholic like me it almost has it all going on

67-horz.jpg

67dd.jpg

It is a Obverse A Reverse IIA

All full stars

Full bars

Rim striking error (obverse)

Die cracks (both sides)

Rim cuds (? please see other post)

and doubling to date (probably mechanical but you cannot have it all)

Die cracks

67odc.jpg

67rdc.jpg

coinsforsale003.jpg

Hi back again with a couple of new "rays" one of each year

6667.jpg

6667r.jpg

alittle closer look at them

the 66 is quite a late die stage as the die cracks are running through the shield .. looked at thousands and I would say that this one is one of the latest i have seen (I have marked the 8 position as 5 (Fletcher) and hopefully someone may be able to identify a Early and later one from this die at some stage

newcastle212.jpg

The reverse is a somewhat newer die and has some great die gouges between the stars and rays (marked in pink)

newcastle214.jpg

the 67 in contrast is a early die state with no die cracks .. bit of a rare site on a shield * position as 6

newcastle213.jpg

The reverse also is very lacking in die cracks but has a great rim cud which seems a bit unusual .. also a weak Number 4 star but good detals to the rest so a weak strike rather than ware

newcastle215.jpg

I also have spent weeks trying to find a good enough shield nickel for a reasonable price. I actually just posted a thread about a NEWP 1868 shield nickel I got off Ebay.

$44.78 I spent on it, I am sending it to NGC with a dozen other coins, I am certain the shield nickel I got will grade AU-55 at the lowest.

But I do agree that some sellers have coins with over the top prices and starting bids, but all you got to do is keep browsing thru the listings, and sooner or later you will find the coin(s) you want for a deal.

-Dave

Hi nice shield

68usa-tile.jpg

if all is ok with the coin you should get between a 55 and 58 for the details

I have had a closer look at it and it is a Obv:A reverse Hub IIA

it is hard from sellers photos .. you need to do a scan of it flat when you get it .. the flat date is normal for the series never mind the date.. on zoomed i would say that there is evidence of a RPD on the 1 & 8 in a north direction (as marked red on the large picture. there is nothing in Fletcher with the date in this position and i question that it seems like an early die state coin so this may be a early mutable RPD coin ..IE the weak date was spotted early in the life of the die and then corrected with new hand punched numbers which could have obliterated the RPD or created a MPD

as for Grading where i have marked with the yellow arrow seems to be scrach marks from improper cleaning .. but this also could be the angle the photo was taken

68usa.jpg

lover the rim cud and seems to have some nice die cracks and you almost got all the full stars

68usar.jpg

the weak date was spotted early in the life of the die and then corrected with new hand punched numbers which could have obliterated the RPD or created a MPD

You don't try and repunch a date into a hardened tool steel die unless you want a broken punch. They would have to re-anneal it first and they definitely wouldn't waste the time doing that with a die that was already cracking up because it wouldn't survive rehardening. And why go to the effort on a die that was only going to last for around 20,000 strikes anyway. (Die life on shield nickels was extremely short.)

Been a little quiet of late finding stuff for my collection just waiting for this one to come from the USA .. nice and cheep but i think it has been "environmental" effected . but in that grade for the price i can live with it

1869nd-horz.jpg

seem to have been hunting one of these narrow / tall dates for an age on ebay 350 to 1 is the guide for them .. seems a lot more to me

well as i said been a little quiet .. but stopped up late tonight to bid on this worn out shield

KGrHqNpcE-v7BsPlyBPsZTOlg7g60_12.jpg

:banana: won it for $10 .. think we have another cherry for the collection .. would not like to have a guess at which one it may be but there is something going one with the 1 i think

my enlargement of the sellers photo

KGrHqNpcE-v7BsPlyBPsZTOlg7g60_12-1.jpg

lets see when it gets here :wishluck: