• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you seen this angry Morgan before??

18 posts in this topic

I saw this one i a stack of US silver coins at local auction.

have you seen it before?

falskmorgan.png

There was also a Morgan missing the last number i year.. is this just wear? or error

Morganudenr.png

I don't think the top one is a fake, it looks like a bullion round. Not even close to enough detail to be trying to fool anyone into believing it's a morgan dollar.

Nick

I don't think the top one is a fake, it looks like a bullion round. Not even close to enough detail to be trying to fool anyone into believing it's a morgan dollar.

Nick

I agree with this. And the second coin looks like a date transfer that never got completed. If you checked the reverse of the incomplete date 189? there is probably a S available.

Nick

You may be right, either way it's not a real morgan.

#1 Counterfeit

#2 possibly real, if so likely was altered.

Pass on all coins from this seller either way

#2 is not "possibly real". It is a poorly made counterfeit.

#1 Counterfeit

Mark,

I respect your thoughts on this, but I say that #2 might possibly be real due to my own belief that the coin is altered. If one is going to change the date and sell it for a much higher price you would want to start with a common date, genuine coin. It's hard to impossible to determine what is real or not even with a clear photograph unless you can see the known "tells"

#1 Counterfeit

Mark,

I respect your thoughts on this, but I say that #2 might possibly be real due to my own belief that the coin is altered. If one is going to change the date and sell it for a much higher price you would want to start with a common date, genuine coin. It's hard to impossible to determine what is real or not even with a clear photograph unless you can see the known "tells"

I'm not focusing on the date. The portrait of Liberty looks off and appears to have incorrect details for a genuine example, even a slightly worn one.

#1 Counterfeit

Mark,

I'm not focusing on the date. The portrait of Liberty looks off and appears to have incorrect details for a genuine example, even a slightly worn one.

Well, it's too hard for me to tell much with this picture on a small-screen laptop. Either way I think we both agree that the coin is not worth much if anything at all. :)

1st looks like a counterfeit. I have not seen any art rounds like that. The 2nd looks real but post mint damage. The photo likely makes it look fake. I would have to see it in hand before making the call on that one.

1st looks like a counterfeit. I have not seen any art rounds like that. The 2nd looks real but post mint damage. The photo likely makes it look fake. I would have to see it in hand before making the call on that one.

The first coin I believe is an older bullion round but morgan art rounds like the one below are very abundant on eBay along with standing liberty rounds, winged liberty's, just about every coin ever minted by the US is on some sort of art round. I'm sure the obverse of coin #1 would tell an entire different story.

Nick

KGrHqYOKpME5kKiPFiBOmQ6e5zQ60_35.jpg

The first coin I believe is an older bullion round but morgan art rounds like the one below are very abundant on eBay along with standing liberty rounds, winged liberty's, just about every coin ever minted by the US is on some sort of art round. I'm sure the obverse of coin #1 would tell an entire different story.

Nick

KGrHqYOKpME5kKiPFiBOmQ6e5zQ60_35.jpg

I see those art rounds daily, but never one like the one pictured here. It looks like steel or some cheap medal. I would stay 10000 feet away from it.