• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your favorite coin in your collection valued below $100?

25 posts in this topic

1958D 1c RPM#1 in AU. Worth maybe a buck, and is my favorite because it started the passion for collecting cent die varieties that has fueled itself into a monstrous hoard of copper I currently own, the giga-website I am working on, and the book I am writing...of course the finding and the current work are spread out by a few years and having been through a few million other coins. It is also the only 1958D RPM cent I own in AU and I refuse to upgrade it. It was in my childhood Whitman and I found it about fifteen years ago when I got my first loupe.

I have a few coins that I think are worth less than $100 that I cherish more than money itself.

When my Mom's family got chased out of Communist China in the late '40's, my Grandmother carried with her a stash of four crown-sized silver ``dollars.'' One of them is a British trade dollar whose pictured I posted in the ``Can I post a picture?'' thread. The three others are Chinese, with the head of some stupid general.

My Mom has always taken an interest in my activities. She read to me, she played catch with me, helped me with my chemistry, shared stories of our days on the track and field team, watched baseball games with me, helped me collect cards, stamps, and coins. Fast forward into my adult years, I'd go visit her from time to time, and she'd occasionally ask to see a few of my coins. Of course, I always bring my U.S. Type Album.

One day, a couple of years ago, I'm sitting on her sofa and she brings out this ratty bundle of tissue paper. She hands it to me, and I unwrap it. To my surprise, she handed me the only treasures that she had left from the old country -- 4 silver crowns!

They're not worth much financially, but not everything in life is about money.

EVP

That's a nice story, EVP. I think that it's great your mother took an interest in your hobbies and your life. Not much left of that these days............

As for the main question, I think that my favorite coin is my AMAZING rainbow rim toned 1958 PCGS MS64 Jefferson Nickel. The coin is awesome!

Under $100? Well, the closest would be a 1946-S BTW commem in NGC MS65 (robbed of the * designation). It is blue in color. Really beautiful. The blue is light enough that you can see the luster on the surfaces, but dark enough that it really stands out. I wouldn't sell it for under $100. In fact, it'd take multiples of that in order for me to sell it, but I paid under $100 for it ($15).

While these coins aren't in my collection (they're for sale), my other favorite is a 1970-S 5¢ in PCGS PR67 (robbed of cameo - Rick Montgomery said it "just missed", but I have no doubt it was the toning that prevented the CAM designation). The reverse of the coin is multicolored. Really beautiful. I've also got a 1964-D 5¢ in PCGS MS64 that has a rainbow obverse. The reverse is a dark red. laugh.gif

Right now it is my 1909 VDB in MS65 RD. It's an awesome looking coin, very nice color and a light die clash on the rev (found by our own coppercoinman!). It's just amazing to consider how carefully this coin was protected and preserved since it was first minted back in 1909. Seeing that it's around 94 years old is incredible.

Neil

For me, it is the Bust Half below that I bought when I was 15. I had gotten serious in coin collecting about a year earlier and was building a type set. I had a limited budget due to no real income (lawn mowing netted about $10 back then). I sold my comic collection and bought this coin with part of that money. I had been scoping it out at the local dealer for a long time. It means more to me than the value, still < $100.

1825obv.jpg

1825rev.jpg

Well, for me it is probably the 1901 half eagle love token I bought a month or two ago for $95. It is engraved with a message that has special meaning to me as well as my birthday (but 61 years before I was born). There are so many though, that it's hard to choose, it could be the many wonderful tyep coins I've bought, or my entire jefferson collection saved from circulation (except the 50-D), or one of the many coins my great uncle Ed gave me that started me on this hobby, or the Ikes that my dad used to give me on his payday back in the 70s. There are so many!

I guess mine might be a 1976-S, PCGS MS66 silver Ike that I scored raw (for $8.00) from a really cheap skate dealer in Salt Lake. Or, maybe a 1981-S, Type 2, NGC-PF68DCAM, SBA that I bought in a Proof Set (for $12) from another cheap skate dealer in SLC. I just love it when I can beat the odds with a dealer that constantly tries to nick you for a few extra shekels on every deal for coins by overstating or understating Grey Sheet prices. I guess they think that I do not read the Grey Sheet also.:p

My favorite is an 1868-S quarter in G (more of a VG/AG kind of coin), it was the first rare seated quarter I bought, I paid maybe $30 for it. I got it at an old time coin store close to where I live, which unfortunately went out of business not too long thereafter. The guy who ran it was not the most astute dealer in the business but he really liked coins and liked people. You could hang around the store w/o buying anything & it was OK. The economics of running such an operation have changed a lot in the last 20 years!

I keep the coin stored in a Whitman album for seated quarters (yes, there is such a thing, it even has a space for the 73-CC NA!) along with some of my other less than stellar quarters. They have toned a bit over the years but not too much.

Seated Lib silver really tones out nicely, if you just leave it alone. So many dealers (and Collectors) dip (to drabness) these coins because they think it will sell better. I just wish they would back off on dipping. I think some of them have gotten the message in recent years.

One of my favorites is this 1904 IHC, slabbed 63 RB by Anacs that I purchased for $75 off Ebay of all places. I have no idea why there was little interest in it other than it was in an ANACS holder. The color is hard to find on an MS IHC and the luster booms out from it. site1094.jpg

'43-d Washington quarter. First "big" purchase when I was 15 or so. Must have had a good eye, as ngc recently graded the coin ms/66 laugh.gif

The only white coin in my collection, and I'll probably go to the grave with that one.

Maybe the first Morgan my uncle gave me, that started me collecting because I wanted to know why it was different from the three Peace dollars he gave me, or the two Bust halves my daddy bought for me for $5 apiece, or the two circulated Seated halves, the "No Cents" nickel, the Matron Head large cent, the Type One VF SLQ- there are so many!

It's a tie between two coins. A raw 1932 S Quarter in F 12 which I found when I was 12 years old in change at a movie theater. This coin got me into collecting.

The second one is a beautiful 1938 D Nickel in MS 66. It might upgrade. The coin has an excellent strike and gold toning, which many Uncs. of this date do, but it also has blue centers (both obverse and reverse). It's a technical 6 but with its eye appeal, who knows. I just never get tired of looking at it.

EVP

That's a wonderful story.

This is one of my favorite coins for under $100:

27d.jpg27e.jpg

The 1962 Franklin Half (obverse below) is also near the top of the list of under $100 favorites.

Many of my toned Roosevelts and some Kennedy's I have were bought for less than $3. Does that count?

jom

It may be worth more now but I paid $2.50 for a 1968 mint set back around 1978. It was a dealer whose practices were oft times somewhat questionable so caution was always the best bet in his shop. But he had the set displayed in a rotating case. The Philly half of the set contained two or three coins which were unquestionably the finest I'd seen for the date. These coins were flawless gems and all extremely proof like. The weakest coin in the set was still in the top 2% for the date. The Denver half of the set was typical.

This set does still exist intact and it even has a top notch Denver packet to go with it. The "D" half pales in comparison though, despite the fact that it's usually the Philly that's hard to find nice. Of course it also is in a nice crisp envelope.