• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elongated or rolled cent in an NGC slab

14 posts in this topic

I have seen elongated cents before, but this is the first time in a slab.

Does anyone know if they have been doing this long?

How abount encased cents, will they do those as well?

following pic is from Teletrade, sold tonight in NGC slab

c32401992-1-_w720.jpg

A quick Google search turned up this Wikipedia page on elongated cents. Apparently, the first one was produced at the Columbian Exposition, so it appears that it holds sufficient numismatic and collectible significance to warrant encapsulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elongated_coin

Chris

Yes the COIN is damaged, but the "damage" transformed it from one type of numismatic collectible into another and the second type is NOT damaged.

just out of curiousity what did it go for at auction?

(yes I could look it up but have snail pace internet and thought I could just ask in the thread)

Yes the COIN is damaged, but the "damage" transformed it from one type of numismatic collectible into another and the second type is NOT damaged.

Conder, to your knowledge has NGC ever encapsulated any Hobo nickels?

Chris

These are pretty common from my experience, and can be found on a variety of different types of coins, though the cent is most common. $170 is ridiculous IMHO.

Agree---I've seen quite a few of these elongated cents and they are fairly common. Perhaps the novelty of being in an NGC slab is what generated the high price.

Conder, to your knowledge has NGC ever encapsulated any Hobo nickels?

Not that I can recall. But if they haven't it would not surprise me to see them doing so at some point in the future.