• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great example of a coin "dealer"

20 posts in this topic

I see a couple coins on his website. I call and offer to immediately pay via PayPal and have him ship, and if not acceptable I can return. These are NGC slabbed coins so I have no reason to assume that I will return. Sounds simple, right? NO. He says he will just ship on approval with 2 references. OK, I give him 4 references, and without further explanation he says

" Sorry Jim, I dont want to have a problem. I will not be shipping the coins".

What a total . Great example of why collectors distrust coin "dealers".

He advertises this on his website:

"Lifetime Membership Florida United Numismatists(FUN)

Central States Numismatic Society(CSNS)"

Apparently, that means absolutely nothing.

What is wrong with these people?

I take my money elsewhere.

End of my rant.

Well, if he declined to ship as soon as you named your references, then it sounds like he didn't like them.

On the other hand, if some time passed between your offering references and him declining to ship, then it sounds like you may want to ask your references if he contacted them and what they said about you.

Then go back to the first plan of paying and having a return policy. I dont see what is so difficult here. It is very possible one of your references had something bad to say.

Mark Feld is a great coin dealer with outstanding references. Try building a relationship with him. He has alot of insight in this field and he is honest.

Mark Feld is a great coin dealer with outstanding references. Try building a relationship with him. He has alot of insight in this field and he is honest.

I would agree. About a year ago he sold me a great 1921 NGC MS-63 Peace Dollar. I still love that coin.

I highly recommend him. He took the time to answer my questions and even made me realize that some of my expectations (i.e. buying only brilliant pure white coins) are somewhat unrealistic. Only a dealer that cares would spend time offering help and advice to a 'newbie.'

I would highly recommend him to anyone considering buying any coin he has.

Respectfully,

'mint'

It's possible that once he heard the references he knew that you were probably used to better quality pieces and that his coin wouldn't measure up to the advertised grade if it had come from your reference dealers.

Ok, I'm confused. If you offered to pay for the coins via PayPal before he shipped them why does he need references? Once the money is in his account he can ship safely knowing he's been paid, right?

The only remaining issue is if you don't like a coin and want your money back. Is that his rub?

Also the same goes for the Penny Lady and Shelley at Alhambra Coins.. I highly respect both of them, both have taken the time to explain numismatic info with me and I really look up to them....

CC

does the guy have a return policy?

why was he sending on approval instead of you buying?

when you asked about returning before getting, did he think you were searching for upgrades on his shipping / time?

does the dealer accept PAYPAL?

I am not sure I would be happy about someone who asks about returning coin before buying or getting coin.

Well, if he declined to ship as soon as you named your references, then it sounds like he didn't like them.

On the other hand, if some time passed between your offering references and him declining to ship, then it sounds like you may want to ask your references if he contacted them and what they said about you.

There might be something that they dont like about the dealer as well and might have saved you some grief. Like the poster here said, ask around

His references may have said that he's a difficult to please customer and returns too many coins.

Jim, the dealer offered his coins for sell under the following terms: “Send me x amount of money and I will send you the coin.” If he has no return policy and so states then your offer was, in effect, a counter offer.

The dealer is under no obligation to accept a counter offer. Any transaction is entered into is voluntary between the trading partners and depends on MUTUAL TRUST.

Obviously, you didn’t feel comfortable with the dealer and the quality of the coin and you wanted the addition guarantee of being able to return the coins if they were unacceptable. I know you from your posts on this site and I trust you as a reasonable guy. I would have no problem selling you a coin on acceptance. But the dealer doesn’t know you and obviously has a different perspective. Remember, you initially manifested distrust of the dealer in requesting a contingent sell. His instinct was not to deal with you.

What you could have done to establish trust is to make a counter offer:

“I know how much of a pain it can be to accept returns; I tell you what I will do. Set both coins aside, send me the most expensive coin and I will pay 15% more than you are asking for that coin. If I decide to return it, which I don’t expect to do, I will return it to you at my expense and you keep the 15% as a restocking fee to compensate you for your trouble. You then refund the rest of the payment to me.

If I keep the coin, take the 15% and put it toward the second coin. I will pay you the balance and you send me the second coin on acceptance. If I don’t like the second coin I will pay for your shipping cost and pay to send the coin back to you. You refund my full original purchase price.”

That shows that you are willing to put skin in the game and helps build trust between you and the dealer. I have no idea if this would work but some form of counter offer was worth a try. He obviously wasn’t comfortable dealing with you on your terms. I don’t think that, in itself, makes him a spoon, a fork or, in fact, any type of utensil. :)

Many dealers will not extend a return priviledge on coins which are in NGC or PCGS holders with good pictures. I normally do not do so either. I have had too many returns when I did make an exception.

Usually this was by newbie collectors, who lacked knowlege and grading skills. They would buy maybe a MS61 gold coin "O" mint gold dollar that was 150 years old expecting a fully struck, MS66 coin. I am a collector and not a dealer or approval business. The few coins that I usually sell are from my own collection and meet my standards. Nothing personal, but I would have turned you down as well.

Mark Feld is a great coin dealer with outstanding references
Also the same goes for the Penny Lady .

CC

I went to a show with a desire to go check out her booth. Worst dealer experience I have ever had. Terrible service like I was not even there.

CC

I went to a show with a desire to go check out her booth. Worst dealer experience I have ever had. Terrible service like I was not even there.

That doesn't sound at all like Charmy. I have never seen her other than extremely enthusiastic and friendly. My guess is that there is a good explanation for the experience you had.

CC

That doesn't sound at all like Charmy. I have never seen her other than extremely enthusiastic and friendly. My guess is that there is a good explanation for the experience you had.

Agree with Mark. She is first class all the way and couldn't be any more friendly..

Pennylady posts here, you should pm her and work something out if you had a bad experience....

Also jimbux, if you are talking about Mark Feld, perhaps he checked out the references and they said something that made him apprenhensive

I am going to leave this alone after this post. You are all obviously friends which may give you a better experience. Could have been a bad day but was enough to not go back regardless. Not interested in fixing.

Pennylady posts here, you should pm her and work something out if you had a bad experience....

Also jimbux, if you are talking about Mark Feld, perhaps he checked out the references and they said something that made him apprenhensive

No that is not who I am talking about. It is obscure dealer on the east coast. I suspect he was advertising someone else's coins and found out they were no longer available.

Let this thread die.