• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone seen this before ?

22 posts in this topic

There used to be a guy on ebay that would sell these by the hand full. He had all sorts of "toned" coins for sale. I bought one for my niece and whacked it with a hammer. But she loves the colors of the coin.

proof sets from the early 60's occasionally caused some intersting toning on nickels and cents - the one you show, looks like it could be still in mint cello.

Here is one sold at Teletrade ->

c31441080-1a_w2560.jpg

here is reverse of coin I linked

some people like this toning - I don't, but it is different

your coin and this one could be twins, except a year apart

c31441080-1b_w2560.jpg

I don't think the coin has been dipped, heated or plated. I think it has toned, naturally.

+1 ...

I have seen many colors of pennies all naturally toned.

Makes them somewhat interesting though :)

Split tone is kinda c00l

I don't think the coin has been dipped, heated or plated. I think it has toned, naturally.

I agree. I have one in an old Capital Plastics proof set that is actually striped like that! In other words, it has the steely color in a top and bottom crescent. The other coins in the set are similarly "stripe toned".

There used to be a guy on ebay that would sell these by the hand full. He had all sorts of "toned" coins for sale. I bought one for my niece and whacked it with a hammer. But she loves the colors of the coin.

Why the hammer. Do you like your niece??lol