• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what to do?

21 posts in this topic

I have this 1901 Morgan dollar. It has solid AU details. Was actually in an ANACS, AU55 details holder at one time. Problem is it has some black substance on it, looks very much like someone spilled ink on it, then tried to clean it up. Its def cleaned but still a semi high grade on a semi key date.

My question ..... would acetone help this if it were, in fact, ink?

I will post pictures tomorrow when I get home from work. Any theories before hand would be awesome!

Thanks

If it's a foreign matter such as ink, I would guess acetone may work, though it's possible the ink could have soaked into the pores of the coin. Can't wait to see the pics and hear what the others think!

CC

It may work depending on the chemical make up of the ink. Acetone will dissolve other organic substances, such as those common in many inks; thus, you make lighten it. With that said, some inks contain inorganic substances that may not respond to the acetone treatment. If it's already in a details holder, I don't see a lot of downside to trying it. Just make sure that you are using 100% acetone.

Can't hurt to try acetone. It may require a long soak with the acetone being changed a few times. Acetone certainly won't further harm the coin.

While searching through rolls of half dollars bought at the bank, I came across a series of halves with a black mark on the Y in Liberty. My first thought was "that's weird" but then I came across more and more of them (someone else marked the ones they looked through with this black marker). I dunked it in acetone and 10 seconds later the mark was gone. (I found a 1974 S proof with this mark on it which is why I dunked it). So I guess my point is, acetone should remove it.

I know guys. I'm having technical difficulties when trying to loaf them. I actually have another thread looking for help...... never had ANY problems loading pictures!

I know the scratches are bad, however, I bought it extremely cheap a while back, I have already chalked it up in the loss column, I just want to see if I can make it more pleasing to my eyes.....

nick