• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What type deduction in grade would this spot cause?

20 posts in this topic

What deduction in grade would be brought about by the small spot in front of Liberty's face? What final grade would you think this Mercury Dime would garner?

thanks

Jim

1939PMercuryDime.jpg

I would deduct a point for it. The problem is, its in the primary focal area. If that exact same spot were in her hair, I wouldn't be nearly as severe on it.

I would call that a 66.

That spot looks fairly small and it probably wouldn't be much of a distraction so I doubt that it has much of an effect on the grade unless the grade is exactly on the boundary between two grades in which case the coin might get the lower grade.

I would deduct a point for it. The problem is, its in the primary focal area. If that exact same spot were in her hair, I wouldn't be nearly as severe on it.

I would call that a 66.

+ 1. I feel exaclty the same.

The state of preservation of the dime is the same with or without the spot. But, with it in a prominent position it would likely reduce the market value. The one point difference some have mentioned makes sense for "market graders."

I would deduct 0.5-1.0 points for it depending on how distracting it is in hand. I would grade the coin a MS66 (no FB).

Is a 0.5 Grade "criminal", i.e., a 66 instead of a 66.5?

Just curious-

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I like the coin with its spot and will free it from its tomb and place it in my Dansco.

Jim

Jes, considering the size of a dime and the size of that spot, very minimal price decrease. Likely not even a point. I would call it MS66, But photograding isn't accurate. Nice coin buddy! It'll look great in your Dansco!!

CC

It was in an old ICG holder and they graded it MS68, but not to be taken seriously. I just liked the coin and felt it would grade 66-67(most likely 66 and that seems to be most replies).

Thanks everyone.

Jim

Wouldn't it be feasible to conserve the coin yourself by taking an eye dropper full of dip solution and placing a small drop on the spot for 10-15 seconds before dousing it with water? Has anyone had success with a "partial" dip technique or is it clear that the spot was there (i.e. does it look lighter in the treated area? I'm just curious?

Wouldn't it be feasible to conserve the coin yourself by taking an eye dropper full of dip solution and placing a small drop on the spot for 10-15 seconds before dousing it with water? Has anyone had success with a "partial" dip technique or is it clear that the spot was there (i.e. does it look lighter in the treated area? I'm just curious?
NOT a good idea, the dip will likely wash out the spot all right, and then wash out the natural color/toning of the metal so a white spot may be present. It is not recommended to partially dip a coin as the coin's color will be uneven.

CC

NOT a good idea, the dip will likely wash out the spot all right, and then wash out the natural color/toning of the metal so a white spot may be present. It is not recommended to partially dip a coin as the coin's color will be uneven.

CC

Thanks for the clarification; I had thought about the possibility of a white spot, but was originally unsure if it would be readily discernible since the coin is predominantly white already.