• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1882 S - Morgan

13 posts in this topic

I recently had good luck busting out an NTC coin and sending it in to NGC. It was graded 65 by NTC and came back a 64 by NGC. I paid MS 60 money for it so I was happy with 64. Anyway, I was thinking of busting this one out as well....what grade would you give her?

nodome004.jpg

nodome005-1.jpg

The coin is a 1882-S, which is a common date, and the coin is not worth the costs of slabbing it. I see enough marks on the cheek that I think the coin grades a maximum of MS62; however, it is difficult to accurately grade the coin because of the small images.

Also, as a side note, be careful with NTC. Some of the generic common date coins are only overgraded by a point or so, but the keys are often overgraded by several points.

The coin is a 1882-S, which is a common date, and the coin is not worth the costs of slabbing it. I see enough marks on the cheek that I think the coin grades a maximum of MS62; however, it is difficult to accurately grade the coin because of the small images.

Also, as a side note, be careful with NTC. Some of the generic common date coins are only overgraded by a point or so, but the keys are often overgraded by several points.

Kenny, how can you see any marks on the cheek? The pics are microscopic on my screen...

EDIT: The obverse pic is bigger now. Thanks for posting a larger one.

That said, I will guess MS63, and not worth slabbing.

Kenny, how can you see any marks on the cheek? The pics are microscopic on my screen...

He means the small lines... with that said this coin is MS 63 with shot MS 64

He means the small lines... with that said this coin is MS 63 with shot MS 64

I was referring to the lines, which is why I also made reference to the small images limiting accuracy. Even with small photos, there appeared to be enough chatter to limit the grade to the lower end of the uncirculated range at best. Based on the new larger obverse image, I agree that the coin is only a MS63 and not worth slabbing.

Edited to add: The 1882-s and the other common dates are readily abundant even in MS65. I would not consider slabbing a common date in a grade below MS65, and I personally would probably only submit the coin if I thought I had a chance at MS66 or higher (unless it is an unusual variety or attractively toned coin).

Photobucket is making me crazy!

Same camera, same settings, same image size......and my post looks like 2 different sizes were chosen. It's happened many times. Is there a better/more reliable option for posting pics.

Photobucket is making me crazy!

Same camera, same settings, same image size......and my post looks like 2 different sizes were chosen. It's happened many times. Is there a better/more reliable option for posting pics.

Photobucket (or a similar image hosting site) is the best because you can link the images into the thread regardless of file size. You could also attach the files using NGC's upload manager, but the file size is severely limited. I don't think Photobucket is responsible for the small images.