• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something for slab collectors to ponder...

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There have been various discussions about the collectability of different slab brands and varieties in their own right, regardless of the coins they contain. One thing that has been overlooked, at least to my knowledge, is that the slabs put out several years ago under the NCS (Numismatic Conservation Services) label are gradually being reholdered with NGC Details Grade labels.

NGC is not doing anything to promote such reholdering, but many collectors and dealers just prefer to see the NGC brand over that of NCS. It's been more than three years since NCS stopped slabbing coins, and in time these labels may become somewhat scarce.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Does NGC have records as to how many coins NCS encapsulated, and also how many NCS -> NGC reholders have taken place?

Not that could be accessed without a tedious reconstruction on a case-by-case basis.

As far as i know there were only four, possibly five varieties of NCS slabs. I'll have to see what I have in the way of images. (I'm thinking two different two different front labels, two different holograms, and one version with the edgeview insert.)

I know that I am probably in the minority, but I have to say; I am just not that in love with slabs. Slabs are nice from my "newbie" perspective because I don't feel as obliged to assign a grade to the coin mentally myself, and certainly slabs are good for comparison grading of raw coins....However, I really feel less connected to the coin in a slab. I can't actually hold the coin which frustrates me. I know, I know....the slabs are protecting the coin, etc.... I'm just saying it feels less like a coin to me... Consequently, I don't see me ever collecting holders for the sake of the holder regardless of the coin being held....its just my take.....

Twenty or twenty-five years ago I really hated slabs, but my opinion has changed. For one thing most all of the really good coins have been certified. Most of what is still raw is raw for a reason, and it's not a good reason for the collector. Slabbed coins are also easier to sell, and they bring higher prices.

Overall I've gotten over the need to handle my coins. I even avoid handling my raw coins and tokens. They are housed in Eagle and Capital plastic holders which I only open for photographs. Otherwise they are in my "private slabs."