• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woody or Hairlines?

25 posts in this topic

Looks like hairlines to me, but who knows with that image. If ya look at the sellers feedback it tells a story, like the very first of 27 negs in the last year tells a story....Joe

Man, it just seems like if they were hairlines it wouldn't have slabbed.....

What about the nasty nick in the letter E in Cent.

Not that bad really.... But you are right in pointing it out..... It seems to me atleast, that the companies are easier on wheaties from the teens. My son is doing a set in XF45 and we have a heck of a time finding teens that match the rest of his set.

Man, it just seems like if they were hairlines it wouldn't have slabbed.....

It's been my experience with woodies is that they are woodies on both sides, not just one. And furthermore this seller has some serious issues if ya read all the 27 nasty negative remarks his customers have to say, that's impressive!!

Looks like hairlines to me, but who knows with that image. If ya look at the sellers feedback it tells a story, like the very first of 27 negs in the last year tells a story....Joe

27 negs out of more than 6700 sales in one year seems pretty minuscule to me. I have had a few purchases from this seller, and they were all positive. And, with that throughput it's the plastic that's selling the coins. If anyone is to fault for this coin it's PCGS IMO.

I'm not a big fan of these type looking cents. I don't really see much wrong with it myself! What's up with the background of this guys auction anyway, very distracting!!

I have owned a few coins with this toning both indian and wheats. A few were certified details due to corrosion. Very light but none the less. Very difficult to see with out looking at extreme angles and a strong light. I think it depends on the grader.

I do not think that is what I would call true wood grain. I would stay away.

I find it utterly delightful, and properly graded by PCGS.

I find it quite unattractive, and would pass on it in a heartbeat.

I find it quite unattractive, and would pass on it in a heartbeat.

Totally agree.

Also, the seller needs to consider a better background for his eBay site...that's just terrible.

jom

27 negs out of more than 6700 sales in one year seems pretty minuscule to me. I have had a few purchases from this seller, and they were all positive. And, with that throughput it's the plastic that's selling the coins. If anyone is to fault for this coin it's PCGS IMO.

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=coinedout&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

This dealer has more than 27 negatives – even 27 negatives especially when you read the comments are a red flag. Understand this seller definitely has many more unhappy customers that did not bother to leave feedback as well as buyers that had issues with the sellers coins but returned them without a hassle.

Never mind the coin – his EBay page gives me a headache.

Just curious James, what do you find particularly attractive about this coin?

It seems you're the only one defending it!!

I just want to know what you're seeing that everyone else isn't.

At one time I was collecting a woodie set from the thousands of wheaties I used to search through. I gave it up fairly quickly though and dispersed the coins:( While I don't LOVE the woodie look I do find it interesting, and I wish I had kept up the set even if it was only circulated coins.

Just curious James, what do you find particularly attractive about this coin?

It seems you're the only one defending it!!

Figures lol ! That is precisely what makes this a great hobby, though. We all get to like what we want to.

Two things. First, I happen to like SOME woodgrain toning patterns on SOME coins. This happens to be one I enjoy. Second, contrary to just about everyone else, I happen to appreciate the presence of carbon spots on copper. As with copper spots on gold, if they are there, then that heavily tilts the odds toward the coin NOT being cleaned.

I do not trust shiny old copper with disinfected surfaces that shown not even the tiniest of spots. Carbon spots are actually your friend, and in this case, I do not believe the OP coin to be hairlined, at least due to cleaning, because the the carbon would be either removed or visibly affected.

I think it's just bad photography. But it's no woody, that's for sure.

James, I'm shocked! Allow me to pass along a few carbon-spotted wheaties.

1915 Lincolns, event from the branch Mints, are usually pretty impressive.

This one has a carbon spot on the reverse at 10k, unfortunately. ;)

Lance.

1915-SPCGS64RDobv.jpg1915-SPCGS64RDrev.jpg

This dealer has more than 27 negatives – even 27 negatives especially when you read the comments are a red flag. Understand this seller definitely has many more unhappy customers that did not bother to leave feedback as well as buyers that had issues with the sellers coins but returned them without a hassle.

I disagree with your assessment. I dare you to sell 6700 coins in a year on eBay and have only 27 negative feedbacks. Remember, the BAY is a function of both the sellers and the wack-job buyers. For example, the most recent negative (Feb 2012) is a guy who left the same type of negative feedback in Nov 2011. If the seller is so bad, why does this buyer keep buying from him and leaving negative feedback?

As for the coin in question, to me it looks like it was scooted around on some concrete or asphalt before being put in the PCGS holder. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm not going to buy it and then complain about it. In the scheme of eBay pictures, this guy offers decent images. Yes, I also wouldn't design my eBay page with that epilepsy-inducing background image -- but, there are infinitely worse sellers on eBay than this guy. JMO.

I disagree with your assessment. I dare you to sell 6700 coins in a year on eBay and have only 27 negative feedbacks. Remember, the BAY is a function of both the sellers and the wack-job buyers. For example, the most recent negative (Feb 2011) is a guy who left the same type of negative feedback in Nov 2011. If the seller is so bad, why does this buyer keep buying from him and leaving negative feedback?

As for the coin in question, to me it looks like it was scooted around on some concrete or asphalt before being put in the PCGS holder. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm not going to buy it and then complain about it. In the scheme of eBay pictures, this guy offers decent images. Yes, I also wouldn't design my eBay page with that epilepsy-inducing background image -- but, there are infinitely worse sellers on eBay than this guy. JMO.

Photos hide cleaned/scratched coin well,had to opened case to get full refund

Buyer:

Member id libertyandcoins (private)

Feb-21-12 03:19

1897-O Silver Barber Quarter F Key Date (#160727325716)

US $36.52

View Item 1897-O Silver Barber Quarter F Key Date

MAKES HIS OWN RULES, disregards ebay policy! BEWARE likes to argue & play chief?

Im not bashing ANY seller, I sure want to be clear on that point as I have never done any business with this guy... But I will say I don't like what the "feedback" is saying. ""Images hide cleaned/scratched surfaces"" & ""likes to argue & play chief!!"" This raises a big red flag with me, just sayin....Joe

I do not trust shiny old copper with disinfected surfaces that shown not even the tiniest of spots. Carbon spots are actually your friend, and in this case, I do not believe the OP coin to be hairlined, at least due to cleaning, because the the carbon would be either removed or visibly affected.

This is good information, and I plan to store it away in my memory when I'm up for some copper coins in the future. Thanks!

For example, the most recent negative (Feb 2011) is a guy who left the same type of negative feedback in Nov 2011. If the seller is so bad, why does this buyer keep buying from him and leaving negative feedback?

Revenge, possibly. The seller absolutely should have blocked them.

Yes, I also wouldn't design my eBay page with that epilepsy-inducing background image.

lol