• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This can't be NT can it?

29 posts in this topic

Provide a picture that shows the color, don't come out and say it's NT but point out returns and then sit back. If they're convinced it's NT in the picture when they get it home are they then going to realize it's not?

Easy Game........

Never seen copper like this. If it is NT, why wouldn't it be in a TPG holder?

First of all just because it isn't in a TPG holder is meaningless. THAT alone doesn't say whether it's NT or AT.

What it being in a holder does is say that it's MARKET ACCEPTABLE.

That being said that coin is blatant AT, IMO.

jom

What it being in a holder does is say that it's MARKET ACCEPTABLE.

jom

I agree with everything you said except for this quoted portion. While if it's in a TPG holder, it is likely "market acceptable," TPGs do make errors and there are some coins in TPG holders in my opinion that are not market acceptable.

So whats wrong with the listing? He has 100% feedback and seems like a good seller...... Isnt that what you guys told me when I brought up Mr D's? :pullhair:

Im never going to get the hang of this am I?

I have seen copper like that naturally toned

but the copper underneath was plated

- which I suspect could be the case here

with an AU business strike, plated, sold to someone who does not know

Rims look too square to be a business strike

"BESIDES,IF IM EXAGERATING,YOU CAN SEND IT BACK,RIGHT,RIGHT.. ONE DOT ON BACK BOTTOM IS ONLY FLAW.......I ACCEPT RETURNS,SO EMAIL ME IF HERE IS A PROBLEM:

I would not buy the coin. That said, the seller says full return privelege. How is he a "bad" seller?

I "think" the seller is not knowledgeable on toning; he does not have multiple toned pieces listed.

"BESIDES,IF IM EXAGERATING,YOU CAN SEND IT BACK,RIGHT,RIGHT.. ONE DOT ON BACK BOTTOM IS ONLY FLAW.......I ACCEPT RETURNS,SO EMAIL ME IF HERE IS A PROBLEM:

I would not buy the coin. That said, the seller says full return privelege. How is he a "bad" seller?

I "think" the seller is not knowledgeable on toning; he does not have multiple toned pieces listed.

:applause: I fully agree.... if he was a big time Toned coin dealer I would be upset by it. I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he thinks it is NT

None of these colors look natural to me including the copper part of the coin that's not toned. What ever happened to this indian cent was not natural & looks horrible to me....Joe

None of these colors look natural to me including the copper part of the coin that's not toned. What ever happened to this indian cent was not natural & looks horrible to me....Joe

Thats because you know a thing or two about toners..... Many have no clue!

I agree with everything you said except for this quoted portion. While if it's in a TPG holder, it is likely "market acceptable," TPGs do make errors and there are some coins in TPG holders in my opinion that are not market acceptable.

Everyone knows they make mistakes. That wasn't my point. My point was that the TPGs base their criteria on MA not whether the coin is NT or AT. Have they graded AT coins as MA? Of course...all of the time. More than most think actually.

So whats wrong with the listing? He has 100% feedback and seems like a good seller...... Isnt that what you guys told me when I brought up Mr D's? :pullhair:

Responding to you on this about my post: I never said anything about the seller. He can sell whatever he wants. However, the coin is AT....

jom

Jim, I don't understand. Millions upon millions of NT coins are not in TPG holders.

As for the subject coin, it looks 100% NT to me. In fact, it's fairly common toning, and I own several just like that myself.

Jim, I don't understand. Millions upon millions of NT coins are not in TPG holders.

As for the subject coin, it looks 100% NT to me. In fact, it's fairly common toning, and I own several just like that myself.

Well whether or not it is NT, I have never seen a coin with toning like this. My OP was just to solicit opinions. Thank You.

I would say it is AT... Just gut feeling... it looks just like someone put a substance on the coin's surface and held it in a gas flame. I have experimented with that on common MS Coins and you wouldn't believe the rainbow toning you can achieve.... I saved one of those coins, I'll try yo post it when I het home this week.

CC

I doubt if the coin was plated and sold to an uninformed buyer that it was NT.

I've posted a pic of the subject coin below.....am I to understand you believe it to be 100% NT and that you own several just like it that you also believe to be NT?

I, personally, would NOT believe it to be NT and I would run from it for anything more than a few bucks.

$(KGrHqV,!k8E8EM+ey5yBPP8IejOvQ~~60_12.JPG

Are you reading something into the image that none of us are? The particular colors and their vibrant shades immediately send up red flags for me. Also, what are your monitor settings (contrast, brightness, color balance, etc.)?

Never seen copper like this. If it is NT, why wouldn't it be in a TPG holder?

Does it now occur to you why the TPGs go to extremes to promote these arbitrary standards by which to judge the grade-worthiness of tarnished coins? Without them, you wouldn't be questioning why this tarnished coin isn't in a TPG holder. With them, every tarnished coin is suspect, unless it's in a TPG holder.

FWIW, my opinion on this coin, is, while it's spectacularly-tarnished, that's too disruptive of the original eye-movement through the coin, and, for that reason, I'd pass on it. That's just my tastes, now. Nothing to get too excited about.

The coin is obviously AT and you are obviously joking!

The coin is obviously AT and you are obviously joking!

I wasn't joking. I was serious.... seriously STUPID!

I thought the Lincoln cent pictured on page-1 was the subject coin.

I agree hands-down that the linked IHC is blatant AT. Sorry about the confusion and my own doh! stupidity!