• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two new purchases for your viewing pleasure...I hope...

39 posts in this topic

Over the weekend I won these two nickels for a very good price. Both are raw the Buff has a great strike both obv & rev....The Jefferson I bought because I think it's pretty & it's also my wife's birth year. Thanks for looking.....Joe

Prettyproofnickels012.jpgPrettyproofnickels015.jpgtonedproof003.jpgtonedproof004.jpg

Irvin, did you use Paas Easter egg dye or another brand?

Bob I used 10w -30w Quaker State. Same as my riding mower.---------->samani_camel_b.gif

Joe that is a great strike on the Buff. :hi:

What if they are not from the same source?

You're absolutely right, I was making an implicit assumption that could very easily be wrong. I don't see any reason to question the toning pattern, only that I am always cautious, regardless of how "NT" coins look, when a large number of coins with similar patterns arise. In many cases it's benign, in others it's not.

Again, I would like to re-emphasize that I actually like the coins posted.

I like the newly posted Jeffersons as well. With this said, I begin to grow worried when large numbers of similarly toned coins come from the same source (unless I know the seller personally).

This is not my first BBQ...I am 60 years old man and I have been a collector of coins since 1961, I started out with my father who was also a seasoned collector of coins. Trust me when I say I know the difference between AT & NT ....cleaned or not ...Bad coin from a good coin and I can grade just as good as most anyone. Coins have been my passion for most of my life and if I thought there was something wrong with the coins I have purchased I sure as heck would NOT be showing them off. Thank you for your concerns....Joe

Nice P/Us Joe. Early 60's proof nicks are known for their wild toning and 1915 buffs are known for their sharp strikes and these two do not disappoint.

Yes the 1915 does display some of the most bold, crispy, needle sharp details you'll find in the whole series. This is another one I own it's housed in a pcgs holder with the assigned grade of MS-66 but let me tell ya, in hand you wonder if it's a proof. The luster & needle sharp details will bowl you over. Thank you all for the comments...Joe

TURKEYDAYFAVORITEBUFFALONICKELS015.jpgTURKEYDAYFAVORITEBUFFALONICKELS016.jpg

Ridiculous 1915 Joe. I'd like to know what reason the graders have for assigning a 66 instead of a 67 or 8. :o

I've never seen anything written or documented about the diagnostics of proof Buffalos other than they would have razor sharp edges and rims like the MPL's. Can't really tell on this coin due to the gasket. I am hoping PCGS would have spotted any proof characteristic during grading, but then they may have also missed on the grade. hm