• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2003 State Quarter Designs are Out!

13 posts in this topic

I've been checking the mint website for the last couple weeks as I recall in the past, they released the new designs a few weeks before year end, well not this year. But I just checked again tonight, and there they were! All 5! (I had seen the Illinois design in Coin World). Well, here is my early commentary (and for you hypersensitive folks, please do not take this as modern bashing!). The Illinois design is nice, but I am from the Land of Lincoln, so I am inherantly biased (It could have been cow dung in a corn field and I would have liked it!). The Alabama is interesting in that it has some of the writing in braile in honor of Helen Keller. The Maine quarter has one of the simplest and most elegant designs of any state so far (in my opinion), and I really like it. The Missouri has Lewis and Clark canoeing under the Gateway Arch, I don't get it, but then again I don't really get Missouri either. Finally the Arkansas is surprising as it looks nothing like the gag designs I saw with Bill Clinton behind a tree with a necked girl, but hey, this is a family hobby! Overall, the Arkansas is mediocre at best.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks for the link. I've been wondering what the Maine design looked like. Contrary to your opinion, I kind of like the Arkansas design. Having Helen Keller on the Alabama quarter; however, violated their simple rule: no image representing a living or dead person. Makes you wonder about the politicing that went on there. I made a design for the Oklahoma quarter (my home state) and e-mailed the governor asking for an address for a submission but I never got a response. Anyway, Happy New Year and have a safe one.

violated their simple rule: no image representing a living or dead person

That's not exactly what the rule states. What it prohibits is - "head and shoulder portrait or bust of any person, living or dead,"

Since the Alabama design incorporates a nearly full figure depiction of Helen Keller seated in her chair - this does not violate the rule. But I do understand your point.

I don't think any of this years quarters are very artistic. But the Maine may grow on me. If they had to put a person on the state quarter, Helen Keller would be the one I would choose.

For the most part, the designs of the state quarters haven't done much for me. Especially the one for TN which we didn't like. We wanted the Smoky Mountains in the background with the state capitol building in the foreground. Of course, cool designs didn't make it. frown.gif

Of these latest designs, the Missouri one is pretty good. Though I have two protest quarters that the original designer created with his original reverse. I think his original one is better. The Arkansas one actually doesn't bother me. I kind of like the motif it presents. Though I wonder how nice it will be when it actually is seen in low relief. The rest are better than the ones I've seen to date. Maybe the mint's new policies on how designs are approved will lead to an ever increasing improvement in creativity and beauty.

Neil

The only one I really care for is the Maine one. I guess I'm a little biased on that one, because I love Maine. I love the ocean and the rocky cliffs overlooking the ocean. It's an absolutely beautiful state. As for the Alabama one.......... They honestly could've done better with that design. I do think the braile on it is cool, though. The Illinois one, I dont' really care for the layout design. That's my opinion, what's your's?

I think all of the designs this year are better than some in past years. Of course, being a "Downeaster" (from coastal Maine) makes me somewhat biased toward their design. I am partial to all the coins with ships in the design. Thanks for the preview. I was not aware that all the designs had been finalized for this year.

Awful designs. At least the mint didn't disappoint me and make a nice looking coin.

The Alabama/Hellen Keller quarter will rival the SBA/Shriver/Sacagawea as having the ugliest portrat of a woman on a coin ever. I'm sure she was a fine woman and maybe when the coin gets worn down to fine condition she won't look so scary.

The Arkansas quarter is jammed with too much .

Illinois proves that the only thing the state is good for is Lincoln.

Did Maine steal the Rhode Island design?

The Missouri quarter looks like a bunch of troops on each sde of the river waiting to attack the boaters.

Overall, I wouldn't want any of them in my collection.

It's ok Greg, there a lots of other coins out there for you to collect. As far as the dead people rule, it's a little late to start protesting, after all we had Caesar Rodney on the Delaware and GW crossing the Delaware on the New Jersey in 1999, and then Abe on the Illinois with Helen Keller this year. At least they didn't put Elvis on the Tennessee! (of course he may or may not be deceased!).

Hey, Charles...

Why, shor-ah, you're one of the Downeast Mainers. The lobstahs shor-ah are good there. smile.gif I spent 9 months in Dover-Foxcroft (40 miles outside of Bangor) last year as a CT technologist. I loved it there! I still e-mail lots of friends from there. Well, Chuck, you have a great 2003 and may your health continue to be strong. Your flatlander pal, Victor.

I went to Boarding School in Charleston, Maine which is about 15 miles from Dover-Foxcroft, near East Corinth. We could see the domes on your base from the Dormatory. I like Maine too, but for 2 points: the winters and no jobs. I guess now that I am retired, I could live there but the cold is not good for my Emphysema. Happy New year to you also Victor.

Charlie tongue.gif

Notice the Missouri quarter it is celebrating the bicentennial 1804 - 2004 one year early in 2003. This must be a unique error coin. The quarter is inscribed "Corps of Discovery 1804-2004." shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif It is not 2004 yet. Is it???

COINHOLEIO

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS