• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photos of my album collection of toned Franklin half-dollars

34 posts in this topic

I showed you guys my Peace dollar collection several days ago, and really appreciated all of the kind feedback. Here is my only remaining complete set of Franklin half-dollars. As with the Peace dollars, nobody has ever seen this collection before. You guys are seeing them for the first time!

These are really quick, low-quality images. As with the dollars, I paid little attention to "grade", and was just after nicely toned coins. I think a couple might be slider AU-58s, but overall, these are UNC coins. I keep them in a © 1978 Whitman album (the type that has slides).

Comments welcome!

k19480o.jpgk19480r.jpg

k1948d0o.jpgk1948d0r.jpg

k19490o.jpgk19490r.jpg

k1949d0o.jpgk1949d0r.jpg

k1949s0o.jpgk1949s0r.jpg

k19500o.jpgk19500r.jpg

k1950d0o.jpgk1950d0r.jpg

k19510o.jpgk19510r.jpg

k1951d0o.jpgk1951d0r.jpg

k1951s0o.jpgk1951s0r.jpg

k19520o.jpgk19520r.jpg

k1952d0o.jpgk1952d0r.jpg

k1952s0o.jpgk1952s0r.jpg

k19530o.jpgk19530r.jpg

k1953d0o.jpgk1953d0r.jpg

k1953s0o.jpgk1953s0r.jpg

k19540o.jpgk19540r.jpg

k1954d0o.jpgk1954d0r.jpg

k1954s0o.jpgk1954s0r.jpg

k19550o.jpgk19550r.jpg

k19560o.jpgk19560r.jpg

k19570o.jpgk19570r.jpg

k1957d0o.jpgk1957d0r.jpg

k19580o.jpgk19580r.jpg

k1958d0o.jpgk1958d0r.jpg

k19590o.jpgk19590r.jpg

k1959d0o.jpgk1959d0r.jpg

k19600o.jpgk19600r.jpg

k1960d0o.jpgk1960d0r.jpg

k19610o.jpgk19610r.jpg

k1961d0o.jpgk1961d0r.jpg

k19620o.jpgk19620r.jpg

k1962d0o.jpgk1962d0r.jpg

k19630o.jpgk19630r.jpg

k1963d0o.jpgk1963d0r.jpg

Clearly AT.....is the album for sale? ;)

If I sold the album, where would I keep the coins lol ?!

In a loose flip stapled to a piece of wood. :facepalm:

lol

jom

Clearly AT.....is the album for sale? ;)

If I sold the album, where would I keep the coins lol ?!

I would of course be willing to keep the coins for you...I am just that kinda guy :acclaim:

Weird to see those colors on a 1958D....... But nice set nonetheless! (thumbs u

Thanks DF! Do you mean "weird" as in "unusual"? In other words, is this one of the difficult dates to find album toned? Or did you mean "AT"?

It wouldn't surprise me if some of these could be AT, since they are coins I've picked up from all over the place, but the original set started out in, and toned in this album. Coins I added laster were already toned, but I feel the album has added and/or enhanced existing tone.

Edited to add: Followup question -- why are some coins toned pretty much only on the obverse (or close to it)?

I meant I am used to seeing wild colors on the 58D's

lol Understood! Thanks!

To clarify - most toners from 1956-1958 are mint set toners, and have a very different style of toning than you display. Finding album toned coins from these years is less common.

James, I have to say, without a doubt this is the finest album of Franklins I've ever seen. This set is perfectly matched, uniformly attractive, and absolutely gorgeous. I am truly impressed by the beauty of this set. They all appear NT - and every single one is fantastic!

I would love to own a set like that!

I meant I am used to seeing wild colors on the 58D's

lol Understood! Thanks!

To clarify - most toners from 1956-1958 are mint set toners, and have a very different style of toning than you display. Finding album toned coins from these years is less common.

James, I have to say, without a doubt this is the finest album of Franklins I've ever seen. This set is perfectly matched, uniformly attractive, and absolutely gorgeous. I am truly impressed by the beauty of this set. They all appear NT - and every single one is fantastic!

I would love to own a set like that!

+1 (thumbs u

Edited to add: Followup question -- why are some coins toned pretty much only on the obverse (or close to it)?

Much of this is speculation, but I do beleive that the original mint packaging (through 1958) had a lot to do with one sided toning. The protection paper slip covers over the cardboard holders discolored everywhere but where the coins were positioned, but some of the coins that faced the envelope are often found to tone a bit darker color than the inward facing flip side. With this in mind, I am to presume some chemical leaching was taking place with this outward facing side of the coin, pure speculation, but very plausible.

What a fantastic collection of Frankies and I'm one of those blast white fans, but this set blew me away. I like all 35 of'em.

Much of this is speculation, but I do beleive that the original mint packaging (through 1958) had a lot to do with one sided toning. The protection paper slip covers over the cardboard holders discolored everywhere but where the coins were positioned, but some of the coins that faced the envelope are often found to tone a bit darker color than the inward facing flip side. With this in mind, I am to presume some chemical leaching was taking place with this outward facing side of the coin, pure speculation, but very plausible.

What a fantastic collection of Frankies and I'm one of those blast white fans, but this set blew me away. I like all 35 of'em.

Woody - if these were mint set toned, I would be inclined to agree with you. But every single one of these is album toned. You sometimes see one sided album toning, based on the position in the album, the type of album, the storage conditions, or any previous surface treatments the coin may have received. There are really too many variables to nail one down.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of these could be AT

Really, would that bother you? Some pretentious "grader" calls some of these something not even he can define from one minute to the next and you're all of the sudden not going to like them anymore? Hey, if that ever happens, let me know which ones. I'll buy them off you!

PS: Needless to say, I agree with the others. That's one totally awesome set!