• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Collectors Journal posted by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Collectors Journal is a really GREAT feature!!!

Although I have belonged to the Collectors Society for several years now and maintain both Competitive and Custom Registry Sets until recently I had never posted a Journal Entry. When I posted my first Journal entry last week I was suprised at the number of views that it recieved. In fact my Journal entry recieved more views in the first 24 hours than my prize winning USA/Philippines Type set http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=51257

recieved in the last two years. Wow what a great way to share information with fellow collectors. I will definately be a regular Journal user in the future. I am very excited about using the Collectors Journal to share my passion for USA/Philippine coins with the broader collector community and will be making regular Journal entries about this historically significant series of U.S. coins throughout the year.

See more journals by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

Ditto, welcome to "our" humble abode !! It is a great place to share idea's, and acquisitions. The nice thing about it is, whatever the hour, you can always grab a cup of coffee and sit down and share (it never closes) :whee:

Fantastic, I'm always glad to have new and diverse collecting perspectives posted on these boards. It so often enhances the collecting experience for everyone! BTW great set! Congratulations, and welcome aboard!

Gary

:banana:

This is my particular passion as well, and I've written several journal entries on this series in the past year. It's nice to have another collector on board ;) who shares my enthusiasm for this series. I look forward to you next entry!

No I don't plan to cross over the two PCGS certified coins in my USA/Philippines Type Set. There is no need to cross them over, at least at this time, because the USA/Philippine coins of 1903 through 1945 were struck under U.S. sovereignty and are considered U.S. not World coins. Even if NGC decides to ban PCGS coins from U.S. registry in the future I would not cross them over on General Principle.

When I purchase my coins I buy the coin not the holder. If you monitor the major coin auctions you will see that the very finest USA/Philippine coins are about equally divided between PCGS and NGC. In fact in sereral dates the finest known examples are only available in PCGS holders. For example I have a really beautiful 1936 M Roosevelt & Quezon Peso in MS66 which is the highest grade certified by NGC. With a NGC population of 16 coins and a combined NGC, PCGS, ANACS population of 45 coins MS66 specimens of this coin are both Extremely Rare (R-8) and desirable, however the very finest example of the 1936 M Roosevelt & Quezon is a Prohibitively Rare (R-10) PCGS MS67 which is unique for the grade. It would be very limiting for the Quality of my collection to limit it to NGC certified coins.

While I prefer NGC over PCGS and will continue to send my raw coins to NGC for certification I certainly would not pass up a beautiful PCGS coin and will not waste any of my precious collecting budget on crossovers.

Verry well said, and the same way I feel.

I was asked this week if purchasing PCGS graded coins was out of the question. My answer was ---Heck No--- I collect the coins NOT THE HOLDERS.

I did acquire 4 more PCGS graded coins this week. It was a package of which the 1925 Lexington is a MS66 and the 1936 Norfolk is a MS65 in a first generation green paper holder and looks like a 67. I will let everyone know the outcome of these two Early Commemoratives when I get them back from NGC. The other 2 will probably remain in their PCGS holders.

HAPPY COIN COLLECTING.