• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Practicing Coin Photography !!!

38 posts in this topic

I have been trying to figure out how to use my camera since joining the NGC and Journal Forums. I've moved several times in the past couple of years and have found my Newer Camera (Canon) but not the instructions. I am still trying to figure out how to take pictures of coins as there are many Great Coin Photographers here. Hopefully, I can get them to Upload soon as I have been having a problem. I bought a camcorder from Sony a few weeks ago, and it seems all of my photos are now going through a site named PMB. I'm not sure but I think it is affecting my being able to upload photos. Anyway, If and when I do get some (photos) uploaded, I hope the knowledgeable community of photograhers can give me some much needed advice about what I should be, or should not be doing to produce nice coin photos.

In Advance, Thanks to all who have helped me so far..... Jim

The good thing about photobucket is after u upload, u click the img link and it copies automatically an then jus paste in ur post.
:bump:

Okay just to make sure you are doing it right.

1) Hit the File Manager Link

then

2) Hit the Browse Link to find the picture on your computer.

then

3) Hit the Add File

then

If you want to add more pictures repeat the 2nd and 3rd step

or

Hit done adding files.

I'm All Ears........
Open a free account on this site.

www.photobucket.com

Upload pics from your computer.

You can copy and paste the img code for message boards in your post.

Well,

Finally got the photos to upload thanks to bsshog and schatzy. "Thanks Guys" I will work on a better setup tomorrow. Still looking for the Camera Book.

_MG_31384.jpg

Holding this nickel on a piece of white paper. Lifted it up under my nightstand lamp. Shooting (one handedd) without shaking and holding this camera... Not Very Steady. Got a different color though. Looks mustard color......

_MG_31393.jpg

I'd appreciate all the help I can get with setting up my camera to take good pictures. I'm going to get some different light bulbs for tomorrow.

In the mean time, *Good Night & God Bless All*

Jim

Well the last 2 look a little better as far as focus and lighting. There is still room for inprovement there. The pic below is the set-up I use. Others have pretty extravagant setups but this was my poor man setup. I bought a little extension shop light, removed the light end and replaced it with a tripod base to screw into the bottom of my camera. This gives me the flexibility to move the camera up and down and side to side to help with the lighting. I also have the 2 OTT lights. Also, if you have a timer on the camera, best to use that so your camera has time to stabilize before it takes the picture. Of course for more money you can actually purchase a copy stand, etc.....

cameraset-up2.jpg

tilttablemodified008-1.jpg

BSS,

Thanks for the comments. It looks like you have what it takes to make some good photos. "Whatever Works Eh"

I still haven't found the Book for the camera. I had someone sell me a knockoff Macro Lens about 2 years ago. It's very cheap and was made in India. I bought it for $12. Anyway, someone told me not to use it, but it does let me get closer to the coin. I took most of those photos freehanded. I'm gonna try to set something up and will be back with some other photos in about 30

Jim

owners manuals can usually be found online with some searching - for those who can not find their book

how far away from the coin are you holding the camera?

do you have zoom? macro? (on camera, not extra lense)

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XSI Digital. Yes.... It has all that stuff on it. I'm just not very good with cameras.

I held the camera a couple inches away, and also about a foot. I put the coin on an envelope and held the camera with the other. Just an ordinary nightstand single light.

I was messing with the TV and AV mode and thats when the 2 photos came out more silverish. I'm just an amateur when it comes to cameras with all this stuff on them. I'm a point and shoot kinda guy

Forgot to mention it is 12 Megs