• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New walker pictures updated

26 posts in this topic

I just bought this coin for a very fair price in my opinion.

It is body bagged and i bought it being i love this coins designs. I would like to know where it looks based on the details if it would have received a grade.

I im going to crack it out to put in my display case so it isn't really important. Its more about learning for me.

When i can get nice looking coins for a third or a quarter of the gradable coins prices i worry less leaving them out in my home. If someone borrows them long term, im not going to lose sleep over it...

I still like it even though it is considered ruined in many peoples eyes.

Once it arrives i will post a few more detailed pictures.

Here it is.

lf.jpg

lfreverse.jpg

Thanks, Matt

is that a scratch on the obverse under liberty's right arm??? that may be why it was details graded

Methinks that is the flag boarded- part of the design.

is that a scratch on the obverse under liberty's right arm??? that may be why it was details graded

I think I see a huge scratch in the obverse field near the motto.

Where's the scratch near IGWT?

I think I see a huge scratch in the obverse field near the motto.

Where's the scratch near IGWT?

I hope the original poster doesn't mind me hijacking his image.

119818.jpg.a0ae57536b0968dd2e38bcf9924e7104.jpg

It is graded altered surfaces.

I'm still curious what grade it may have received if it were not body bagged.

Any thoughts? Do you think the scratch on the right is why it was bagged?

I won this for $22 with the buyers premium.

Thanks again for the replies.

lfb1.jpg

Well, the branch hand detail, head detail, and skirt lines all seem to be there. So, excepting whatever reason it was put in a Genuine holder it would normally grade in the MS65 range otherwise, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, because the "pics" really seem to be scans (or at least they look to be), it is difficult to see and easy to hide things like cleaning, scratches, whizzing, etc. I look forward to seeing the pics when you receive it in hand.

My guess is "altered surfaces". It may simply need a nice acetone bath.

More likely, there is an incidental layer of "goop" on the surface. That's why I recommended the acetone bath earlier.

Frequently, coins with this "look" are given the "altered surface" appellation, and people wonder why, but it's really nothing that mysterious. The coin simply got polluted, and proper conservation will take care of it. "Altered surface" doesn't necessarily mean mechanically altered -- just that the original surface isn't really evident.

I would guess the grade at MS-64 after it is conserved.

It is graded altered surfaces.

I'm still curious what grade it may have received if it were not body bagged.

Any thoughts? Do you think the scratch on the right is why it was bagged?

I won this for $22 with the buyers premium.

Thanks again for the replies.

It looks to me from these images as though you got a great deal on a technical MS65 courtesy of the glue-sniffing I mean the coin-sniffing graders at PCGS. (thumbs u

James, when you say an acetone bath what exactly would you do? I'm not saying you would do this, but if I was to attempt this is it as simple as using the wife's finger nail polish remover? As long as it is pure acetone? I actually kept pure acetone when ii was breeding discus fish for treatment of disease and i still have some in my basement.

Then would it just be a small amount of time and give it a good rinse with some warm soapy water and a good final rinse?

I still plan on putting it out on display in my curio with some other coins i like to see every day.

Once it arrives Kurtdog, i will put better pictures out to show it a little better.

Have a great night and take care, Matt

those fields are very clean

I was going to guess altered surfaces - whizzed

if all small nicks disappear and luster becomes artificial, how can you grade it technically? (okay MS65 - limited by strike)

Well the coin came in today so i cracked it out, took a few pics then washed it in acetone and took a few more pics.

Here are the before the cleaning and after. I took the ring off once i washed it so its pretty clear which are before and after.

Please be honest as i am learning here.

I think the after pictures look way different and in my opinion, much better.

I planned on dumping this coin in a display case since this is the first one i have ever bought. It will make a nice addition to my set of display coins.

It looks much better in hand to me but what i know about walkers fills books, but not my mind...yet!

walkerbeforeafter003-1.jpg

walkerbeforeafter001.jpg

walkerbeforeafter002.jpg

walkerbeforeafter003.jpg

walkerbeforeafter004.jpg

walkerbeforeafter005.jpg

walkerbeforeafter006.jpg

walkerbeforeafter007.jpg

walkerbeforeafter008.jpg

walkerbeforeafter009.jpg

walkerbeforeafter012.jpg

Now the after pics.

walkerbeforeafter014.jpg

walkerbeforeafter015.jpg

walkerbeforeafter016.jpg

walkerbeforeafter018.jpg

walkerbeforeafter019.jpg

walkerbeforeafter022.jpg

I'm very happy with my $28 dollar coin. :cloud9:

What do you think?

Good, Bad or what?

Any thoughts on the grade? Not that i plan on sending it in, just curious for knowledge more than anything else.

Thanks, Matt

What I don't quite get is that there appears to be a scratch between the "R" and the "T" in Liberty on the new before photographs; however, I don't see these on the after photographs. Do the "after" photographs mask the mark or was it an artifact of the imaging in the first set. If it is a scratch, this is likely why PCGS put it in a "genuine" holder.

Of all the after pictures i took this is the only one that showed the scratch at all. In hand i can not really see it but i admit my vision, even with my glasses, is very poor. Someday ill get the cataracts removed but until then, i like pictures so i can see the surfaces better on the computer. The coins look better in hand but the computer allows me to see the details better.

The scratch is still barely there but it seemed to be more in the coating (for lack of a better word) on the coin. I'm not sure what it was but it smelled funky and it was slippery like a oil. It looks much more "normal" after the wash and the scratch seems reduced by 75 percent or more.

I have no idea what is, or was, on the coin. The finish is duller now but it looks more natural. I don't know if that makes sense or if you can see it on the pictures but it is very obvious in hand.

Have a great night, Matt

walkerbeforeafter020.jpg