• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wayte raymond albums

19 posts in this topic

Anyone know anything about the albums that used to contain the sulfur that toned coins?

What did they look like? I see an album I want to buy, its old but I don't know if it was the ones that toned Morgans. Its a Wayte Raymond, brown, loose leaf like a binder....?

Thanks

Nick

It would probably look something like this. As old as they are, I would not plan on these having enough sulfur left in the pages to create much toning.

Actually thats not true... You can still find new unused pages and from my experience they do still impart toning... especially if the plastic slides are still in place. If the pages are used and/or the slides are out then yes most of the reactive sulfur is probably long gone...

It would probably look something like this. As old as they are, I would not plan on these having enough sulfur left in the pages to create much toning.

Actually thats not true... You can still find new unused pages and from my experience they do still impart toning... especially if the plastic slides are still in place. If the pages are used and/or the slides are out then yes most of the reactive sulfur is probably long gone...

I pulled my post because I guess it's not true.

Please show us images of your experience with this type of holder.

Anyone know anything about the albums that used to contain the sulfur that toned coins?

What did they look like? I see an album I want to buy, its old but I don't know if it was the ones that toned Morgans. Its a Wayte Raymond, brown, loose leaf like a binder....?

Thanks

Nick

To my knowledge, yes, they do contain sufficient sulfur to tone coins. It doesn't matter, though. If you're educated, you understand, the standards come down to these. If you use the albums to store the coins, and the coins tone, that toning is NT. If you use the albums to tone the coins, and the coins tone, that toning is AT. If you use the albums to store the coins and to tone the coins, and the coins tone, that toning is half-NT, and half-AT. If you're uneducated, of course, those standards may sound a little arbitrary, I admit...

when you talk about toning and results, you need to see some/many in their natural environment after 20-40 years

silver/copper/nickel/clad all tone differently in different housing conditions

some good and some bad

the best I have seen in old raymond boards was a smaller silver coin (dime sized) in a half dollar sized board - just kinda flopping around in the middle -

I have seen some copper that looked like in these boards - some black spots - nickels sometimes turn unpleasant with dark purple/red ring

some coins tone/some do not in same board - edge locations usually better

Yeah, I got a bunch of those...bought them used...never did much of anything for toning. I guess that can be looked at as a good thing as well. heh

jom

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Raymond and Meghrig coin album pages toned coins because the coins were put in them decades ago when the pages were new. The same result may not be achieved by repeating this action with pages that are already old.

I'm writing a comprehensive book on Beistle, Raymond and Meghrig coin holders, but this won't be in print for a year or more. In the mean time, here's an article from the NGC website which touches on the topic of album toning:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2160&USA-Coin-Album

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'm afraid I don't have the coins anymore. They were victims of the run-up in silver price. I had only the 1986 photographed to illustrate my column, which was originally published in The Numismatist with photos.

Dave, I would love to see pictures of the progressive album of ASE's. That would look pretty neat, I think.

sounds like something you could take up for the next 20 years :roflmao:

Please show us.

Here is a link to a BIN with a 1956 mint set that has been in a Wayte Raymond holder for I would guess at least 50 years.

I have no idea what these coins looked like when they were put into the holder - but I do not really like what they look like now - almost like they have been overtoned - when from original -> better -> worse ->

each size coin and composition tone differently, but the silver seems like the toning has covered/killed the luster

eBay listing with pics

$(KGrHqUOKiEE0m975qUlBNbGCeMJTQ~~_3.JPG

Kee Noooo----- Most collectors of the 1950's and 60's used the blue Whitman books for their coins. While I started to collect in about 1955, I NEVER saw or heard about the Wayte Raymond pages.

For some reason, I was lucky enough to run into a seller from the Carolinas. This gentleman ended up selling "many" series of coins on Ebay. But, he did not mention that the series had been stored in Wayte Raymond pages. His Ebay pictures were very decent and I ended up buying both the Walker set that had been housed in the Wayte Raymond pages---as well as the set that had been placed into Whitman holders.

Many of the Wayte housed Walkers were wonderfully toned. They can be viewed in both my registry sets----Doc's Walkers---and contain Unc coins from 1936 to 1947. I mention this because this was my first purchase of these NT kind of toners. I absolutely loved the way the colors shimmered along the open fields. Once you have seen this----you burn the look into your brain. These coins IMHO are as nice as "ANY" toner that I have ever seen.

I was again fortunate---within the same time period to find another collector in Maryland---whose grandfather used the Wayte pages. I bought the whole lot of 14 Walkers. These coins can also be viewed within my registry sets from 1936 to 1947. My wife's pictures are decent. But, in hand, the coins are BETTER.

Can only say that if one EVER finds an old series of coins----stored from the first in these Wayte Raymond pages----"BUY THEM". Bob [supertooth]