• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1600 for a toned Peace $

35 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320815874225?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Okay so its only a 4-5x premium for the toning but I think its strong money for this coin... The reverse is beautiful but the obverse may be a little darker than the pics...

Did anyone here buy this coin ? If so congrats and please post some pics once it arrives I am really curious how it will look in hand...

I get so annoyed at that sellers picture editing techniques for some reason. He gets very strong money for his auctions. Im not sure how I feel about the price for that coin. I think at 1000$ I would call it about right though I wouldnt pay more than 800$ myself. The rarity of the date for toning is what I think drove it up more than the toning itself, though it does appear to be very nice color.

Not a fan of the look, but the seller is a well known dealer in toned coins. He takes generally subpar pictures of generally excellent coins, and he has a passionate following. His auctions usually get bid up to a bit over what I am willing to pay - which is why I've only won a couple of things from him.

Not a fan of the look, but the seller is a well known dealer in toned coins. He takes generally subpar pictures of generally excellent coins, and he has a passionate following. His auctions usually get bid up to a bit over what I am willing to pay - which is why I've only won a couple of things from him.

In the past I have won a couple of his auctions and while never disappointed in the coin when I received it - it never looked exactly like his pics... thats why I am wondering how this coin will look in hand...

I get so annoyed at that sellers picture editing techniques for some reason. He gets very strong money for his auctions. Im not sure how I feel about the price for that coin. I think at 1000$ I would call it about right though I wouldnt pay more than 800$ myself. The rarity of the date for toning is what I think drove it up more than the toning itself, though it does appear to be very nice color.

34-Ds arent that hard to find with nice toning... now if that was a 34-S... wow... I have really only seen 3 34-S with nice subtle toning and nothing that I would call colorful rainbow... most were dipped off trying to get into a higher graded slab years ago...Same issue with toned 28-Ps...

The other Peace $ that are almost impossible to find with rainbow toning -- 27-P and the 27-S. Beside their low mintages, even less are found in mint state and were not put into third party storage holders which account for a lot of the toning on Peace $....

Has this guy ever been suspected of shill bidding? I'm just wondering, as even some of his normal/typical stuff seems to go for premiums I won't stomach. I have had things on my watch list many times from this seller, but it seems almost everything goes for quite high. Just to clarify, I'm NOT accusing this seller of shill bidding, it's just curious that everything goes for FMV+ it seems.

Has this guy ever been suspected of shill bidding? I'm just wondering, as even some of his normal/typical stuff seems to go for premiums I won't stomach. I have had things on my watch list many times from this seller, but it seems almost everything goes for quite high. Just to clarify, I'm NOT accusing this seller of shill bidding, it's just curious that everything goes for FMV+ it seems.

Why would you think he Shill bids?? Take a look at the premiums toned Morgan and Peace dollars get on Heritage and that should answer your question. People will pay insane premiums for these vividly toned coins.

No, I do not suspect him. I know several people who have consigned to him and they have been pleased with his service - as has anyone who has bought from him. He has a passionate following, and is well known on both the NGC and PCGS boards. I'm guessing many board members regularly bid on his items. This guy is a good dealer, he just takes terrible pictures.

Why would you think he Shill bids?? Take a look at the premiums toned Morgan and Peace dollars get on Heritage and that should answer your question. People will pay insane premiums for these vividly toned coins.

Mark, read my post. I ASKED if anyone thought or suspected he did this. I didn't say I "thought" he did. It was an honest question. I have bid on many of his auctions (for non-toned items) and they always go for more than I am willing to pay.

No, I do not suspect him. I know several people who have consigned to him and they have been pleased with his service - as has anyone who has bought from him. He has a passionate following, and is well known on both the NGC and PCGS boards. I'm guessing many board members regularly bid on his items. This guy is a good dealer, he just takes terrible pictures.

Thanks for the reply Jason. He normally has some really nice things for sale. I will just keep trying and see if I can snag something that catches my eye.

I was following it but had no intention of bidding.

I don't care for the look and I suspect it will be even worse in hand.

i would have to disagree and bet that it looks better in hand. and CAC agrees.

whoever bought it obviously loved it.

he also has a 7day return.

congrats to the winner.

I saw the coin and was interested, but the coin sold for far more than it is truly worth in my opinion. My monster toned Peace Dollar from Shane cost me less, and I feel that my coin is miles and miles better than this coin. It's pleasant toning, but not that ($1600) special.

I saw the coin and was interested, but the coin sold for far more than it is truly worth in my opinion. My monster toned Peace Dollar from Shane cost me less, and I feel that my coin is miles and miles better than this coin. It's pleasant toning, but not that ($1600) special.

Absolutely agree.

Your coin is a true monster.

The coin in question here, while interesting, borders on AT in my mind. I would've expected a 1.5x premium here, not 4-5x.

The toning is fairly blotchy with no definitive pattern.

I shy away from coins that look 'oil-stained' like this one.

Seems like a lot for a $150 coin....

$150 for the coin, $250 for the color, and $1200 for the illusion the tarnish is something special. No wonder the marketers love to sell collectors on these arbitrary standards, "NT" and "AT."

This guy is a good dealer, he just takes terrible pictures.

You know...at one time his pictures were considered very good. Nowadays that isn't the case. I think with my lame set up I do better than him.

The seller is a good guy and does get a lot for his coins due to his reputation. Similar to Shane I'd imagine.

As to this coin collectors can pay whatever the want and I guess there were two or three bidders that ran this up. Personally, I think the coin is ugly but to each their own.

Absolutely agree.

The coin in question here, while interesting, borders on AT in my mind. I would've expected a 1.5x premium here, not 4-5x.

If the above is referring to that "bag toned" Peace...I'd agree. It was far and away nicer than this one....not really even close.

As to the AT comment: I'd have to agree as well. But then again like I said above I don't like the coin at all so whether it's AT or not wouldn't even enter my thoughts...it's ugly so who cares?

jom

$150 for the coin, $250 for the color, and $1200 for the illusion the tarnish is something special. No wonder the marketers love to sell collectors on these arbitrary standards, "NT" and "AT."

The coin retails for around $400 in the grade, so only about $1200 total for the color. Nevertheless, I agree with your underlying point about the extreme price realized.

Absolutely agree.

You really shouldnt or you are going to pass on a lot of nice coins...and limit your toned Peace $ collection to common date coins with above average toning.

And do not try and compare toned Peace $ to other toned coins. The surfaces are different and the storage methods are different. You cant even compare 22, 23 or 24 toned Peace $ to dates like a 34-D, 27-S or 28-P. Thats the reason for the 4-5x premium... Try and find other 34-Ds that are nicely toned... its not impossible but they are much more rare than a monster 22,23 or 24.

The 22, 23 and 24 are common coins and were stored in bulk in various after market holders... For example, I have never seen a 27-S, 34-D or any of the other less common dates in any after market holders other than albums... Please find a 20th Century framed set that has a 34-D in it as the Peace $ example....Thus the monster toned Peace $ are usually limited to the more common years... its statistical... more coins in more after market holders in the right environment will lead to more toned examples and even better toning on some examples.

Every coin tones differently based on several factors most notably the holder they were in... I can find what I call "Dansco toned" clad Ikes and JFKs with typical blue/gold and rainbow rim toning but I have never seen a silver coin tone in a Dansco album the same way... Why does a Dansco album only impart these colors and that pattern of toning on clad coins ? Because of the copper in the clad... there isnt enough copper in a silver coin...I would love to find a Dansco toned Peace $ but I know it will never happen.

In comparison, I have never seen a clad coin tone in a Wayte Raymond album like a Buffalo or Jeff nickel will...

I will bet this coin is NT all day long. I have seen that pattern before. I would like to see better pics to be able to determine what after market holder this coin was stored in to impart that pattern and toning...

Every coin tones differently based on several factors most notably the holder they were in... I can find what I call "Dansco toned" clad Ikes and JFKs with typical blue/gold and rainbow rim toning but I have never seen a silver coin tone in a Dansco album the same way... Why does a Dansco album only impart these colors and that pattern of toning on clad coins ? Because of the copper in the clad... there isnt enough copper in a silver coin...I would love to find a Dansco toned Peace $ but I know it will never happen.

In comparison, I have never seen a clad coin tone in a Wayte Raymond album like a Buffalo or Jeff nickel will...

I will bet this coin is NT all day long. I have seen that pattern before. I would like to see better pics to be able to determine what after market holder this coin was stored in to impart that pattern and toning...

True about the Dansco. I've had Ike and Kennedy sets in Danscos going on 18 years now and only a few of the Kennedy Copper/Nickel coins have toned...about 25% of the set. The silver? Forgetaboutit. Besides that, NONE of the Ikes have toned at all and it doesn't matter what the metal is.

I have the same feelings JerseyCat had on that Peace dollar...looks funny to me. But then again I'd consider myself biased here as I don't like the color to begin with and I don't really care for Peace dollars.

jom

The rarity of the date for toning is what I think drove it up more than the toning itself, though it does appear to be very nice color.

34-Ds arent that hard to find with nice toning...

Thats the reason for the 4-5x premium... Try and find other 34-Ds that are nicely toned...

:baiting:

As a former toned Peace $1 collector during the late 1980's to early 1990's when the up charge for color was normally about $15 extra I'm shocked when ever I see today's premiums! As mentioned before the only really tough date is the 34-S which I hadn't seen a toned example until 2005 when Mike Printz at Larry Whitlow's had a nice PCGS MS64.

After David Hall mentioned in his opinion all or most (can't remember exactly what was stated on the ATS forum) Peace $1 are AT... I figured this series was instantly dead with any sort of color. Since DH's comment I've seen a multitude of CAC stickered toned examples in the marketplace like the one in the OP that without a sticker would be deemed blatantly AT. So I'm not sure what CAC is actually doing on these as it seems they are just solid for the grade and the color natural or not fits within the category of market acceptable? Definitely a series if sought out with toning with today's doctoring advancements that SP sniffing would seem as a viable submission option.

Broadstruck - are you familiar with another toned Peace $ collector from the great state of Wisconsin ?

When I first got into toned Peace $ (early 2000s) I had heard rumors about one collector from there that had amassed a spectacular toned Peace $ collection during the 80s and 90s...