• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC 1.0 (black insert) sold on teletrade today.

23 posts in this topic

I wouldn't go that high, but I would be willing to pay a significant premium for one of these. The price of this had nothing to do with the coin - a circulated Wheatie would go for nearly the same.

Interesting to note the number of the slab - a six digit number already much higher than many of the numbers posted in a recent thread.

Went a little on the cheap side I'd say. A peace dollar was listed in Coin World recently at $2750 and it sold for $2600. I've followed about five sales of these over the last few years and the plastic premium has been running from $3100 down to about $2200. I know where five of these are at the moment. Before my computer crashed last year I had a census that listed twelve pieces. Currently I can track eight.

If you ever find one of these at a show and the dealer doesn't know what he has, BUY IT! As you can see they will bring a premium. This one would have probably done better in a major auction. (The highest plastic premiums I have seen were in Heritage auctions and they were $3000+ premium pieces.)

That the comment you were looking for Delta?

Interesting to note the number of the slab - a six digit number already much higher than many of the numbers posted in a recent thread.

Yet they only made between 20K and 40K of these things. Shows you the number doesn't mean anything.

interesting item

closed at $2500

+ 15% buyers premium $375

+ shipping $15

final cost to buyer close to $2900

I wonder how many more of these will show up in 10 years

and if they plastic/connection will deteriorate at all in the next 50 years

Went a little on the cheap side I'd say. A peace dollar was listed in Coin World recently at $2750 and it sold for $2600. I've followed about five sales of these over the last few years and the plastic premium has been running from $3100 down to about $2200. I know where five of these are at the moment. Before my computer crashed last year I had a census that listed twelve pieces. Currently I can track eight.If you ever find one of these at a show and the dealer doesn't know what he has, BUY IT! As you can see they will bring a premium. This one would have probably done better in a major auction. (The highest plastic premiums I have seen were in Heritage auctions and they were $3000+ premium pieces.)That the comment you were looking for Delta?

Yes, thanks, that's precisely the type of information I was hoping you'd provide. Persons who try poking fun at these original old TPG plastic holders fail to appreciate they are items of historical significance.

Yet they only made between 20K and 40K of these things. Shows you the number doesn't mean anything.

No doubt that referencing your slab history thread is the best way to date a coin. I wonder how many numbered invoices NGC distributed at their inception in the 80's. IIRC, only authorized dealers could submit coins to NGC for grading. Obviously the dealer who submitted the coin in question was one of the original members but got the short end of the stick with regards to the invoice allocation.

I saw a Jefferson Nickel with a serial number under 5000 in an NGC 5 last night. That dealer was a slacker. (:

interesting item

closed at $2500

+ 15% buyers premium $375

+ shipping $15

final cost to buyer close to $2900

I wonder how many more of these will show up in 10 years

and if they plastic/connection will deteriorate at all in the next 50 years

YOWZA!! Almost 3K for a $50 coin.....I'm speechless. As much as I really like the vintage black slab--that is beyond my scope. I would rather spend more of that money on the coin itself. :tonofbricks::D

The worst part of it is that I'm probably to blame for the premiums. Before the book they were a curiousity. They did bring a premium, but nothing like this. The piece in my personal collection appeared on ebay three times during the five years I was writing the book and I chased it every time before I finally bought it for a $300 premium (I was the under bidder the other two times) The really high premiums didn't begin until after the book came out, and they reached their peak with two auctions run by Heritage where they referenced portions of the book in the auction descriptions

My best guess is that there are probably somewhere around 200 left. At one point NGC made an estimate and came up with a figure of 35 left.

coins look great in a black background

Gold looks great, white silver looks great, red copper looks pretty good. Toned silver doesn't look that good. Brown toned copper looks horrible. Dark brown toned copper disappears.

Lane (astrorat) from across the way has a verified cataloged census at 20 coins. If someone see one please let him know if it moves you. MJ

NGC needs to slab coins in a black slab now, coins look great in a black background

All you have to do is paste some black paper over the holder, and voila you have a black background. :makepoint: