• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay to put "coin" in addresses?

19 posts in this topic

Considering we hear about a coin-related crime just about every other day, is there any possible excuse or good reason for someone to put the word "coin" in the return address or destination address when sending packets? Or is it merely a dumb act that may heighten security risks? Should you just 'grin and bear it' if a seller mails you a packet labeled "coin"?

I see no reason for the word 'coin' or any related numismatic term to be included on any numismatic shipment. The package is handled by dozens of people in transit to its final destination, and all it takes is one unscrupulous person for that package to dissappear, not to mention, all of those 'handlers' now know the address of a likely coin collector.

"Coin" is one of the phrases that never should be included on a package, as well as "gold bullion enclosed" or "cash payment inside".

One thing that has always irritated me about the Post Office (at least the branches around me) is that they insist that I write out the name of the addressee on my registered mail packages. I don't like to advertise the fact that I'm sending a submission to Numismatic Guarantee Corp., but they won't accept it any other way.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem, or are the branches in my area just going too far in interpreting the rules?

Chris

Simple common sense dictates that there should be no indication of the package's contents if it's coins, currency, gold, silver, diamonds, firearms, narcotics, jewelry, or any other easily pilferable valuable.

"Coin" is one of the phrases that never should be included on a package, as well as "gold bullion enclosed" or "cash payment inside".

One thing that has always irritated me about the Post Office (at least the branches around me) is that they insist that I write out the name of the addressee on my registered mail packages. I don't like to advertise the fact that I'm sending a submission to Numismatic Guarantee Corp., but they won't accept it any other way.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem, or are the branches in my area just going too far in interpreting the rules?

Chris

There is no valid reason why they shouldn't accept a package addressed to NGC. I have never spelled out the name on packages to them, sent from numerous different post offices.

Chris

There is no valid reason why they shouldn't accept a package addressed to NGC. I have never spelled out the name on packages to them, sent from numerous different post offices.

I agree! Maybe they just go by the "book" in this situation, but what is really exasperating is that I see them leave the "Registered" cabinet unlocked and wide open sometimes. It's kind of ridiculous that they choose to follow some rules but not others.

Chris

I agree that "coin" should never go on a package. As someone mentioned, too many people can take advantage of knowing that. It's sad to think that a gov't employee is not completely honest, but..........lol plus alot of your rural carriers are just your everyday joes also.

Chris

NO, but then again I usually don't send it registered mail.

You should take a return package to the post office and ask them why they don't have sell there name in the return address!!

One thing that has always irritated me about the Post Office (at least the branches around me) is that they insist that I write out the name of the addressee on my registered mail packages. I don't like to advertise the fact that I'm sending a submission to Numismatic Guarantee Corp., but they won't accept it any other way.Has anyone else ever encountered this problem, or are the branches in my area just going too far in interpreting the rules?Chris

Never heard of that problem around here. You might wish to try using a variation of the name to help disguise the contents, and then it's just up to you to insist that's the correct name. Among the many variations that come to mind are: NGC Corporation and Numatic Grantee Corporation, which should be fine as long as you have the address accurate. Otherwise find another USPS office, or use FedEx or UPS.

If I was submitting to NGC, I would address the package to NGC, the same as I do with CGC submissions. It's bad enough having to itemize coins or comics on customs declaration. No need to advertise if you don't have to.

Chris

That is absurd. Go to a different Post Office!

The company name of one of the leading exonumia auction houses is "Presidential Coin and Antique Company." His mailers go out as "PCAC."

Yes avoid the label "coin" or any other clue as to the contents of package as much as possible.

Chris

That is absurd. Go to a different Post Office!

No, don't inconvenience yourself that way. Speak to someone at your current PO, and ask them to show you what regulation prevents you from using the abbreviations/initials that you wish.