• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAIL or WINNER?: 1884-S RAW Morgan

15 posts in this topic

fail, appears to be lightly cleaned, not worth nearly as much as it sold for. it happens. I used to have a problem with this as well. you need to make sure you have some NGC or PCGS certified pieces to compare to.

:cry:

I looked at the other NGC/PCGS coins. The hairlines look better then the XF coins I looked at. Not knowing much about grades, I mistakenly thought this coin was somewhere in the AU range.

How can you tell that it's lightly cleaned?

I thought the parallel lighter areas were the cartwheel effect.

Bryan

Probably a Fail - coin is at best Au 53 and appears to have been overdipped or cleaned. You can pick up a certified Au 53 84-S for the same price you paid.

With those pictures, its hard to say.... but its almost certainly dipped at the least. I would highly recommend you read the series of articles on grading that I have linked in my signature.

:cry:

I looked at the other NGC/PCGS coins. The hairlines look better then the XF coins I looked at. Not knowing much about grades, I mistakenly thought this coin was somewhere in the AU range.

How can you tell that it's lightly cleaned?

I thought the parallel lighter areas were the cartwheel effect.

Bryan

It can be AU and still have luster, but the wear suggests low end. I would automatically suspect cleaning on any coin where the fields vary from dark to light as it is here around the left obverse stars.

Chris

if you don't have any certified MS moregans from PCGS or NGC, get some. You will immediately see in hand what everyone is talking about. Take some pics of the certified piece and see what they look like, it will be night and day

Thanks for the input guys.

I have my 1882-S Morgan that shows a load of cartwheel effect when you tilt it left and right.

I've asked the seller to cancel the transaction before he ships it tomorrow.

Bryan

you paid near AU53 money

I place it closer to AU50 (but could be AU53)

I think on the reverse left field below the wing (eagles right wing)

is a scratch that may be big enough to condemn coin to 'details' grade

you need to be really good to win with BINs on eBay as over 90% are overpriced or at top of market

For the amount of money spent on the coin in the op of this post, I wish to ask this:

Why pay that much for a raw version of this coin when for just a few dollars more you could get one that has already been graded by NGC or PCGS that is certified as problem free?

We all have hopes of finding a diamond in the rough (so to speak), but for that amount of money you could of just added about $20 to $30 to get a coin that is for sure problem free without the risk. If you sent it in to be graded, and lets say it comes back in a details holder, how are you going to feel about spending over $200 for a coin that may end up only being worth about 30% of that?