• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASE 25th Anniversary set - Future

15 posts in this topic

Where will the price of the 25th Ann Sets go from here?

Will prices hold here, start to uptrend or is it all downhill from here?

All speculation welcome.........

I asked my magic 8-ball...it says "ask again later" doh!

My feeling is that it will continue to decline to the point where individuals are just not willing to part with their sets. What level that is I have no idea but my gut tells me it is around $500 for a raw set. I have 2 sets and I wouldn't sell them for anything under what they are selling for now at over $700. (one is for me one is for my dad for Christmas)

Unlike others who think the holidays will have an affect I don't think it will really matter that much. Once the holidays are over I will actually have more money to spend on coins.

I think once the set "bottoms out" (whether it be $500 or whatever number) it will then very slowly begin to climb back up as the true "collectors" continue to put away more sets and they become more scarce.

That being said, there are always going to be sets available so it will never be rare, it will merely depend on what is determined to be the "going rate". Just my thoughts, but I think that going rate has pretty much been determined for the foreseeable future.

I believe the prices for open raw sets will decline from the current $700+ but only depending on whether or not they can be examined before purchase, such as at a coin show or in a retail shop, because raw sets will be suspected of having damaged coins mainly due to collisions inside the mailing boxes because of poor packaging. If a seller allows you to scrutinize the coins with a good 5X magnifying glass under proper lighting conditions, the value of the set is potentially much greater. There is still the additional minor issue of a raw set being impossible to completely authenticate as coming from the special 100,000 25th anniversary release.

Does anyone know if the shamefully poor packaging is to be blamed directly on the US Mint, or rather on their contractual distributor in Indiana, PBGS?

The value of sealed boxed sets will probably also decline somewhat, but in my opinion not to below $3000 per box of five sets. Sealed sets are also suspect due to possibly containing inferior or damaged coins, and even the outside tape around the boxes is flimsy and prone to tampering. A dishonest person might find a way to open a box in a way that will avoid detection, perhaps from the bottom, and substitute poor quality coins for some of the better ones. The longer the sealed boxes are around, and the more times they change hands, and are transported from place to place, the greater the risk of both criminal tampering and incidental damage from internal coin collisions. Furthermore, the sealed sets cannot be visually enjoyed, and they take up quite a bit of space.

As for graded sets, I like NGC best in this case, partly because PCGS slabbed silver eagles have an alarmingly high incidence of developing white spots, and also because with PCGS you are usually expected to pay a substantial premium for their so-called first strike which is nothing more than a marketing scam. Graded sets in NGC holders will maybe continue to decline slightly to perhaps $750 for 69s and $1250 for 70s, but there are thousands of waiting buyers who will grab them when they approach those prices, and once the flood of sets from the flippers has subsided I'm guessing the prices will fairly rapidly double to maybe $1500 for 69s and $2500 for 70s. My estimated time line for that is within a year.

Who knows where the final price of these will stop at. I'm guessing $500-600 after all the dust has settled. By that time your collectors will have thier sets sitting comfy at wherever they store thier coins. There will still be those sets on ebay that have astronomical prices that no one will ever pay. Raw sets will still be easy to sell regardless of condition to a certain extent as long as they have full OGP.

I believe the prices for open raw sets will decline from the current $700+ but only depending on whether or not they can be examined before purchase, such as at a coin show or in a retail shop, because raw sets will be suspected of having damaged coins mainly due to collisions inside the mailing boxes because of poor packaging. If a seller allows you to scrutinize the coins with a good 5X magnifying glass under proper lighting conditions, the value of the set is potentially much greater. There is still the additional minor issue of a raw set being impossible to completely authenticate as coming from the special 100,000 25th anniversary release.

Does anyone know if the shamefully poor packaging is to be blamed directly on the US Mint, or rather on their contractual distributor in Indiana, PBGS?

The value of sealed boxed sets will probably also decline somewhat, but in my opinion not to below $3000 per box of five sets. Sealed sets are also suspect due to possibly containing inferior or damaged coins, and even the outside tape around the boxes is flimsy and prone to tampering. A dishonest person might find a way to open a box in a way that will avoid detection, perhaps from the bottom, and substitute poor quality coins for some of the better ones. The longer the sealed boxes are around, and the more times they change hands, and are transported from place to place, the greater the risk of both criminal tampering and incidental damage from internal coin collisions. Furthermore, the sealed sets cannot be visually enjoyed, and they take up quite a bit of space.

As for graded sets, I like NGC best in this case, partly because PCGS slabbed silver eagles have an alarmingly high incidence of developing white spots, and also because with PCGS you are usually expected to pay a substantial premium for their so-called first strike which is nothing more than a marketing scam. Graded sets in NGC holders will maybe continue to decline slightly to perhaps $750 for 69s and $1250 for 70s, but there are thousands of waiting buyers who will grab them when they approach those prices, and once the flood of sets from the flippers has subsided I'm guessing the prices will fairly rapidly double to maybe $1500 for 69s and $2500 for 70s. My estimated time line for that is within a year.

I see all these ads on E Bay etc for Mint sets and even GSA Dollars that are still sealed and you might find ................................... I find this hard to believe and there are probably sets advertised on E Bay as sealed that may have been opened. If one pays a ridiculous price for these 25th Anniversary sets and ships them to NGC who determines they have been opened then they are out of luck.

The premium is gong to be for all five coins with the special label because it will be less than 100, 000 sets.

If 50% of the sets have been opened then the maximum number of complete sets is 50,000

If 25% of the sets have been opened then the maximum number of complete sets of five is 75,000.

I suspect that the number is someplace between that number but it could be as much as one half.

I was a collector of the series until this recent fiasco. I do not see the majority of people who bought these sets and are not collectors holding on to them. In order to have a complete set of just the annual releases in Proof and Uncirc you have to go back to the year 1986.

When the people that bought them thinking that they were going to get rich or even make a lot of money realize that this not the case then they will sell the one and only collection they have in the series. The ones that have opened their sets and just have the set of five raw coins will see even less of a premium as three of the five coins will have no more market value than the three 2011 Silver eagles that were already on the market. I suspect that most of those with the opened raw coins now realize this and are hoping they can dump them now before they are worth even less. If you are E BAY then you want to seel them and not keep them.

One interesting fact is we (the buyers) will all be part of the 25 ASE Anniversary Set history regardless of price. The set is already historical and caused a buying panic which we all experienced. "The Great Silver Eagle Sell Out". I have enjoyed all the commentary here about the Sets. I would say it's been huge!

I have shared the Anniversary Set coin story with some friends and likely increased the number of ASE collectors.

My submission has been sitting in "Received" for 8 days now :taptaptap:

Price will certainly level out, find its support level and resistance levels.

All we can do it wait and see.

I'll be watching

OP

Who knows where the final price of these will stop at. I'm guessing $500-600 after all the dust has settled. By that time your collectors will have thier sets sitting comfy at wherever they store thier coins. There will still be those sets on ebay that have astronomical prices that no one will ever pay. Raw sets will still be easy to sell regardless of condition to a certain extent as long as they have full OGP.

Who is going to buy these raw sets if they understand the situation?. There is no way that one can determine whether or not the sets have been opened that are advertised as unsealed. Most of the dealers on EBAY say they will not accept any returns. You will still be able to return them through the E Bay Guaranty but you can't turn an unsealed set into a sealed set.

If the sets have been opened then three of the five coins have no more market value then the three 2011 Silver Eagles that were already out there.

Most of the people who are not collectors of the series did not buy these sets to make only $500-600 dollars.

If these non collectors bought five sets at $300 and now find that they can only make $1000 on the entire five sets then they are going to be disappointed. Aren't there fees for selling in E Bay and using Pay Pal?. Then their five sets will be an even less profit.

Chabsentia:"The ones that have opened their sets and just have the set of five raw coins will see even less of a premium as three of the five coins will have no more market value than the three 2011 Silver eagles that were already on the market. I suspect that most of those with the opened raw coins now realize this and are hoping they can dump them now before they are worth even less".

I know that you have quite a bit of bitterness with the Mint and anyone that has received any of these sets, and I also think that this is leading you to respond to topics with information that isn't viable. Most of those keeping the opened sets are keeping them for a collection. This would consist of a Complete 25th Annv set in which many people will not have. I don't see your reasoning as to establishing these sets as becoming mostly generic value due to the 3 other coins in the set. I would be willing to bet that if you could purchase a full set at mint price that you would jump on it in a flash and be glad to have the set in your collection. Your bitterness seems to be blinding your common sense. Jmo

what am I missing?

I looked at the set, and it is not something I would want to own

the reverse proofs are ugly

and S vs W mintmark coins look exactly the same to me

what am I missing?

Not exactly, one has an S and the other a W. lol

Also, to be honest, you really have to be an SAE collector to enjoy the series. Regardless of how people knock them as stolen designs, nothing but bullion, yada yada yada, I personally think they are a very elegant series. To each thier own!!

what am I missing?

Although I disagree with the "ugly" comment (I find it an amazing coin) I can see where you are coming from. I find Franklins and Ikes much like you do on the Rev proof but it's all a matter of taste I guess. The overblown/hyperbole you read on these things are twofold: Anger at the Mint (which I don't get) and the skyrocketing prices. Whatever, I got my set so I'm done with this for awhile.

jom

I see all these ads on E Bay etc for Mint sets and even GSA Dollars that are still sealed and you might find ................................... I find this hard to believe and there are probably sets advertised on E Bay as sealed that may have been opened. If one pays a ridiculous price for these 25th Anniversary sets and ships them to NGC who determines they have been opened then they are out of luck.

I think you would be surprised at how many people who collect coins or bullion could care less about it being in a piece of plastic. I would guess the slabbed number comes in at way less than 50%. Again, just my opinion.

what am I missing?

I think the same thing about the Barber series and Lincoln cents...to each his own.