• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan grade advice.

16 posts in this topic

I have a few Morgans i was wondering about, any opinions will be apreciated.

1878 S rev 78

It is already an 1878 S. It is going to have a 78 Reverse. It would only make a difference if it was an 1879s with a 78 reverse

I went and pulled a stock photo. That pic said it's worth about a dollar...

1878s.jpg

\\\

Silver is at $32 an ounce. If the coin is authentic then it has to be worth at least $30.00 due to melt value.

The 1891 Morgan looks a little shiny to me too but the others don't. How can yo tell if they have been dipped ?? I have a 10x and 20x loupe what should i be looking for? Thanks

The 1891 Morgan looks a little shiny to me too but the others don't. How can yo tell if they have been dipped ?? I have a 10x and 20x loupe what should i be looking for? Thanks

Are you taking these photos using any kind of illumination or natural sunlight? If you are using natural sunlight, it's possible that the coin is being flooded with so much light that we can't see the cartwheel luster. If you are using indoor lights, then there doesn't appear to be any luster at all. You don't need a loupe to see this.

I'm not the best at taking photos of coins, but this is what you should expect to see of cartwheel luster. These photos were taken using mini-fluorescent bulbs.

Chris

118275.jpg.b3f7acd3884bb5095e0d1a9ada8d7d68.jpg

118276.jpg.4b53f0a9c3a46bcd5af267eb62926515.jpg