• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$20 Gold St. Gaudens

31 posts in this topic

I just started to build a $20 St. Gaudens set in MS65 either NGC or PCGS. Working on the less common dates like 1910-D,1911-S, 1911-D, 1914-D, 1914-S, 1915-S.

Any other St. Gaudens collectors out there that are willing to share some insight, suggestions or advice?

Thanks for you considerations and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!

Bo

I don't collect them, but there's a reason... they are expensive. Before you start a set like this, evaluate your monetary resources, and how much the set is going to cost you. For pretty much everyone except multi-millionaires, the set you started is impossible to finish. Be aware of that before you start.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on whatever you decide.

Well Bo, I'm like you, I have a set that I doubt I'll ever finish, but I've taken a different approach than you, I am going for getting the different dates and mints, and am less concerned with specific grades. This is just my preference, but there are a lot of rarer coins out there that are surprisingly affordable in AU or even low MS, so that's what I go for.

Here's a link to my set, I'm not even in the top 20 anymore, but I still have fun, filling a hole every 2 or 3 years.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=1948

As for your list, you should certainly add the 16-S as that's pretty affordable in 65, also check out the Philly issues for 1909-15, though in 65 they might set you back. Best of luck whatever you do, and even if you don't complete the set, it's all about having fun trying!

Well Bo, I'm like you, I have a set that I doubt I'll ever finish, but I've taken a different approach than you, I am going for getting the different dates and mints, and am less concerned with specific grades. This is just my preference, but there are a lot of rarer coins out there that are surprisingly affordable in AU or even low MS, so that's what I go for.

Here's a link to my set, I'm not even in the top 20 anymore, but I still have fun, filling a hole every 2 or 3 years.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=1948

As for your list, you should certainly add the 16-S as that's pretty affordable in 65, also check out the Philly issues for 1909-15, though in 65 they might set you back. Best of luck whatever you do, and even if you don't complete the set, it's all about having fun trying!

What! No 1933??? (shrug) Jest sayin'

Amazing set nevertheless thanks for posting the link (thumbs u

I kind of misspoke. I plan to add as many MS65 specimens as I can and the add other coins in as high a quality as I can. I agree that it would be impossible for me to add all those dates in MS65.......

That is really a great set and thanks for sharing. I will consider this set one that I will build as a long term set that will one day pass down to the kids, God willing!!!!

I don't collect them, but there's a reason... they are expensive. Before you start a set like this, evaluate your monetary resources, and how much the set is going to cost you. For pretty much everyone except multi-millionaires, the set you started is impossible to finish. Be aware of that before you start.

physics, He has been here since June.

Bigbooer only had one post before today. I see nothing wrong with welcoming him here, regardless of when he registered.

Welcome Bigbooer.

Bigbooer only had one post before today. I see nothing wrong with welcoming him here, regardless of when he registered.

Welcome Bigbooer.

In that case, welcome :)

I will consider this set one that I will build as a long term set that will one day pass down to the kids, God willing!!!!

Who will then run out to the local "We buy gold!!" guy. :)

Wow! So much humbug and the turkey isn't even in the oven yet!

Buying some St. Gaudens double eagles as a way to hold a numismatic, bullion related collection could be fun. BUT putting together anything close to a date and mint mark set of these coins is almost impossible. I would not want to try to do it. I've got a really nice 1907 High Relief $20, but that's a common coin (probably 6,000 or so still available) with a high price. The other key dates are rare, high priced and really hard to find outside of major auctions.

I guess it depends on what you consider "close" my set is 73% complete (excluding the 1933), and I've not even come to the coins that routinues sell in the 5-figures. If it's something that anyone wants to try, why discourage the person? After all, as collectors, we should collect what we like, whether common Morgan and Peace dollars, patterns, or moderns (most of which I can't fathom why anyone would be excited to collect them).

Besides, completing a Saint set is a whole lot easier than trying to complete a Liberty double eagle set!

PS - Bo, here is a fun one to encourage your journey!

117902.jpg.4c4b50356c95ea71cde7cfd2c8920c18.jpg

117903.jpg.54590100fa4be7191adcfa4c37200a20.jpg

Very nice coin jtryka!!! Thanks for sharing!!! I was hoping to solicit comments and pics of coins to get some motivation to continue to build........

I figure to try to add one every 3-6 months and try to get as complete as possible. I have a decent Morgan set building and started a $5 Gold Indian Head set last year. I wanted to add gold to the investments while enjoying the numismatic aspect of adding beautiful coins.

It will take a long time to build, but that is part of the fun. A wise friend once told me it is not always just about the final destination, one has to enjoy the ride to get there.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!

I'm surprised no one has suggest buying only CAC stickered coins due to the high number of high grade coins that both of the major grading services graded very optimistically.

Yes, but aren't some of us capable of picking properly graded St. Gaudens double eagles without the CAC sticker? I can tell you from personal experience that many of these coins have been over graded but certainly not almost all of them.

Just because a handful of coins in the set are super-spendioso, doesn't mean you shouldn't start working on a set. A set of 10 carefully chosen semi-common dates can be an impressive collection. Look at the pop. reports and Heritage archives, skip the 5 most common coins, and go for the next 10. Sounds like a nice set to me. Look at a lot of coins, as there are a lot out there that have been generously graded. You'll learn a lot about the series in the process, too.

I'm surprised no one has suggest buying only CAC stickered coins due to the high number of high grade coins that both of the major grading services graded very optimistically.

Yes, but aren't some of us capable of picking properly graded St. Gaudens double eagles without the CAC sticker? I can tell you from personal experience that many of these coins have been over graded but certainly not almost all of them.

I only suggested CAC since bigboeer sounds like he's new to buying Saints and CAC would give him a little more assurance that he is getting a properly gradied coin. While you and I don't need CAC, others may.

A slight tangential question -- I have a 1907 NM PCGS MS-65 Wells Fargo St. Gaudens (bought when they were 1st available). Is the marketplace putting any premium on these?

Thank you.

BTW my opinion is neutral regarding CAC stickers.

And best wishes for everyone over this holiday. Even better if Auburn beats Alabama on Saturday :)

A slight tangential question -- I have a 1907 NM PCGS MS-65 Wells Fargo St. Gaudens (bought when they were 1st available). Is the marketplace putting any premium on these?

Thank you.

And best wishes for everyone over this holiday. Even better if Auburn beats Alabama on Saturday :)

I wasn't aware of any 1907 dated coins in the Wells Fargo hoard, I thought they were all 1908 NM, but regardless, for MS-65, there is probably a small premium, but given the high number of MS-66 through MS-68 coins out there, I wouldn't expect a significant premium.

Thank you.

I wasn't aware of any 1907 dated coins in the Wells Fargo hoard, I thought they were all 1908 NM, but regardless, for MS-65, there is probably a small premium, but given the high number of MS-66 through MS-68 coins out there, I wouldn't expect a significant premium.

The Wells Fargo hoard coins have a reputation of being generously graded so don't buy one without careful examination.

To the OP: I tried for years (started 1995) to put together a $10 Indian set in what was then called AU58. There are expensive coins so I took my time. Over time not only did the grading change (AU58s ended up in MS62 holders) gold prices made it more difficult. I think I ended up with 15 of the dates and did well with it when I sold it all the 2009 ANA in LA.

That was a difficult series in itself. I never did find a decent 11-S (very underrated IMO). The 1907 patterns and the 1933 were never going to be the set anyway. A 30-S "might" have been a possibility but most of those are MS and too expensive. I tried a few times for an XF 1920-S but the price was always a bit too much (always chasing ahead of me).

Now you want to put together a Saint set. Wow. And I thought the $10s were bad. Most dates after 1928 are VERY expensive if not impossible to find. Then there's the 1921. Ouch.

If I were you I'd drop the idea of MS65 right off the bat unless you want to do a type set or some such. Get used to lower grades and/or circulated pieces if possible. If you can't then just do a nice type set or maybe a run of dates (any mint mark) from 1907 thru 1928 (sans 21) or some such.

Whatever you do, look at as many of them as possible to get an idea of what you like. Some dates always look nice. Others not so much. Take your time...in fact you'll be FORCED to anyway...just get than in your head before you even start. Many a collection has been started that ended up being abandoned after a time due to not being able to find anything at the right price or affordability.

jom

Regarding the OP, it would be quite remarkable if resources would allow a full set to be put together (even without the 1933). For those with limited resources, I believe the most "affordable" gold series to put together would be the $2.50 gold Indian.

Some of the early dates although affordable can be a challenge to find in MS grades.

I have actually heard of people having the Pedigree information removed to avoid any stigma. As alluded to previously, the hoard has a reputation for having been graded rather liberally.

Rather than have the pedigree removed, if indeed a coin is "overgraded" isn't PCGS obligated to refund the price difference between grades?

i think the 1907 arabic numerals is undervalued right now, much lower mintage than the common 1924, 27 and 28 at 361k compared to the 1924 at 4.3M, 1927 at 2M and 1928 at 8.8M. however the cost is nearly the same.

With respect to the OP, I am going to open a new thread, so please do not respond on this one to Wells Fargo $20 gold. Thank You.

Regarding the OP, it would be quite remarkable if resources would allow a full set to be put together (even without the 1933). For those with limited resources, I believe the most "affordable" gold series to put together would be the $2.50 gold Indian.

Some of the early dates although affordable can be a challenge to find in MS grades.

True, but they are also the hardest to grade because of the design. This makes it hard for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with the series. Also, virtually all gold series are notorious for puttying and other methods to conceal surface defects, and some have ended up in PCGS/NGC holders. I certainly recommend buying CAC stickered coins only. Also, older holders (again, CAC approved) can also show that a coin has been stable and be good indicators that the coin probably hasn't been tampered with.

True, but they are also the hardest to grade because of the design. This makes it hard for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with the series. Also, virtually all gold series are notorious for puttying and other methods to conceal surface defects, and some have ended up in PCGS/NGC holders. I certainly recommend buying CAC stickered coins only. Also, older holders (again, CAC approved) can also show that a coin has been stable and be good indicators that the coin probably hasn't been tampered with.

Agreed. I don't have an opinion regarding CAC. In the $2.50 Indian gold my experience has been that small holder ANACS are conservatively graded and may offer a bargain -- I have always successfully crossed them over to PCGS/NGC at same grade.