• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

China Panda's??

10 posts in this topic

I recently starting collecting the China Panda 10 Yuan. I currently have from 2011 back to 2004. I also have 2 1996 small and large date. I am new to collecting but very addicted to this new hobby. My first question is, are the Pandas going to be a collectable coin for the long term? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.......

The market for these is rapidly expanding. Beware of counterfeits, however. There are a lot of good resources on the internet to help you identify the different varieties and real/fake. What's nice about them is that for the most part every year has a new design, the mintage figures are low for the 2009 and older releases and there are a ton of varieties (dates, mints, finishes, commemoratives, etc.).

Good luck!

I collect silver pandas and the prices for many of the early dates are very high. Pre-2001 can go for $500+ depending on the date. Of course they changed artists in 2000 and the designs are much nicer. Pandas pre-2000 were cartoonish.

Of course the higher mintage will bring down prices a bit. But the demand is high so that will not bring them down too much. But in the long run, the 2011 and onward may not appreciate as much as before.

If you are interested, you can find a brief overview of the panda series at http://coinsblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/increase-in-panda-production.html

Scott

Hey Scott,

Have you been able to find any reputable place to gather the value of these coins? I have now collected from 2001 (also the D) to date... As you know I am going to start getting into the higher end Pandas like the 2000 w/ the mirror finish opposed to the frosted ring..I want to be confident when continuing my collection and do not want to pay inflated prices...Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated.....

Thank you for the reply.....You are right and I will be choosy...My Pandas will be nothing under MS69....Any thoughts on what might be up and coming in referance to modern chineese coins???

they counterfeit these, graded would be a must for me

there is a resurgence of chinese coins and increase in values as more chinese are getting more descretionary income

NGC already has some place in Asia and PCGS will have soon for submissions

Thank you for the reply.....You are right and I will be choosy...My Pandas will be nothing under MS69....Any thoughts on what might be up and coming in referance to modern chineese coins???

Fractional Pandas!!!