• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Dilemma: Which Jefferson should I use?

Which Coin Would You Choose?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Which Coin Would You Choose?

33 posts in this topic

The Dilemma: I have two registry quality coins for one slot in my Jefferson Nickel Registry set. Both coins have positive attributes and make a good case for inclusion in the set. Here are the candidates.

1st Candidate: 1944-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 T (Appalachian)

JN1944-DNGCMS67T.jpg

JN1944-DNGCMS67TReverseSteps.jpg

Coin Description:

A phenomenal toned Jefferson from the famous Appalachian Hoard. This coin is outstanding in every respect. Near flawless surfaces, booming luster, and excellent strike account for the grade. However, the incredible toning makes this coin one of the most eye appealing Jefferson Nickels in existence. The obverse is bathed in commingled orange gold, bright pink, light green, and aquamarine. The reverse is impressively toned in several shades of green and pink. This coin is in it's original old generation holder with the T designation for exceptional toning. Currently, this coin is worth 102 registry points. Upon resubmission this coin would (100%) obtain the star status, and most likely 5FS, adding 233 more points yielding a registry point total of 335.

2nd Candidate: 1944-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67+*

JN1944-DNGCMS67StarLabel2.jpg

JN1944-DNGCMS67StarSteps.jpg

Coin Description:

This coin embodies everything that you could ever want in a Jefferson Nickel. Every element of grading is at the highest level. Near perfect surfaces save this tiniest imperfections, radiant coruscating luster, a fully complete strike save the 6th step, and delicate toning that supplies incredible eye appeal worthy of a star while maintaining no doubt as to it's originality. Shades of lemon and pink appear on the peripheries of both sides framing the untoned central devices. Only a small bridge under the third pillar precludes a full step designation. The coin has a registry total of 490 points.

Now that we have seen the candidates, let's look at some other factors not yet considered. The Appalachian is 3rd most expensive coin in my collection and cost more than 5X the amount paid for the +* coin. The +* coin from a technical standpoint, is the finest coin in my collection. The surfaces are better than the 1943-S MS68 which was market graded for the toning. The overall theme and goal of my registry collection is focused upon eye appeal, not points. My current standing in the registry is 4th. I am 618 points in front of 5th place, and 4,911 points behind 3rd place, therefore the inclusion of either coin will not have any effect on my overall ranking.

My question to the forum members is this. If this was your registry collection, which coin would you choose? Please vote in the attached poll and give me your reasons for your selection.

Thank you!

What does the T stand for in the first coin posted? Never seen that.

I really like the look of the second Jeff, fantastic strike.

In early 2000, NGC created two designations, the "T" for toned and the "W" for untoned. In 2002, the "W" designation was discontinued (see example & article link below).

JN1942-SNGCMS66StarWwLabel.jpg

NGC to Discontinue W Designation

IIRC, the "T" designation did not last that long and was replaced with the star designation at some point between 2000 and 2002, but I don't know exactly when.

Please note that the Jefferson Nickel shown above clearly demonstrates the problems associated with the designation. First, the coin has a "W" designation but clearly has some light toning. Second, the coin has a "*" designation which is usually obtained by having exceptional eye appeal due to attractive toning. Seems pretty silly doesn't it?

Paul, it really depends on what the goals are for the set. If its points - obviously the second one is worth more.

However, if its fantastic toning, the first one is an easy choice.

If its overall eye appeal, I can't help you there since they both seem to have good eye appeal, and you will have to decide which one you like better.

Paul,

Since you have stated that eye appeal is more important than point total, I would have to go with the MS67+* despite its having the greater point value. There is no question that the color on the first is outstanding, but for me, therein lies the problem. If you were to lay the entire set out, the toning of the first would stand out like a sore thumb and diminish (somewhat) the overall technical merits of the set as a whole. The MS67+* is more consistent with the overall appearance of the set and would encourage someone viewing the set to examine them for the individual merits of each one.

I don't know if this makes sense, but hey, what do I know!

Chris

I agree with Chris. The first one is a knockout and it's in a cool holder. However, the second one is a knockout too and seems to me to be the better choice for your registry set.

Your gut is probably already telling you which one to use in your set.

The +*.

It has a "cleaner" look to me, that exhibits and assists a better presentation of the details.

I must admit, though, that I am partial to die cracks, that enhance a coin, and not detract from it.

But (ther is always a "but"), as I have disclosed many times, I am not qualified to make a decision from a picture, so I could obviously be wrong.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Normally I'd vote for the coin with the wonderful toning, but that mark under Jefferson's cheek bothers me for a coin on this level. To me it's close to a draw, but if I had to choose one I'd go with the NGC MS-67*. If possible I'd look for a colorful one without the mark, but that would probably be in an MS-68 holder and involve taking out a second mortage on your house. ;)

Of course I must qualify my remarks with comment that this is not my area of expertise. My strongest interest is in early U.S. coinage, and my interest really drops off after the early 1900s although as a type collector I do collect “everything.”

Paul, it really depends on what the goals are for the set......

I think the decision depends on the above and that key bit of information hasn't yet been provided. ;)

I personally choose the 2nd coin hands down.

I don't care for the toning on the first coin. Don't want to say it is AT, but it looks unnatural.

The 2nd coin has nice original tone, booming luster, and high quality surfaces.

Shame about the bridge on them steps.

I dremel will fix that, j/k.

The overall theme and goal of my registry collection is focused upon eye appeal, not points. My current standing in the registry is 4th. I am 618 points in front of 5th place, and 4,911 points behind 3rd place, therefore the inclusion of either coin will not have any effect on my overall ranking.

Well, it seems obvious to me! Since your theme is to focus on eye appeal and I suspect that you're heart is telling you to include the great toned example, then clearly that is what should be done! Damn the points! :grin:

#2 for me. Then I looked at your set and decided #2 again. The toner, if you excuse the irony, would be the white elephant of that group and be distracting from the rest of the set.

Plus how could one pass on a coin whose description includes the word "coruscating"?

Paul, I would choose the first one just because I sort of think of it as your "trademark" as the wildly-toned Jeff Nickel guy. I will say, the NGC Generation 8 holder also has me a bit biased (I'm a fan of that holder), together with the "curious" T-designation. I happen to have an NGC Gen 8 1944-D Nickel also graded MS67T ( link here ) , but mine is NO WHERE as wild as yours! :)

Ultimately, it's your decision. Either coin is gorgeous... (thumbs u

Went with the toner. Send it in for regrading and see if it gets the bump you are looking for (FS/*), then your decision will be much easier! Designation review only costs about $10 bucks to find out!

Well, I suppose I'll be putting my "foot in it" by saying this but it's the 2nd one for me. The 67+*. Why? I'll be as gentle as possible. I find the color on the other (67T) "funny"....if you know what I mean.

jom

#2 for me. Then I looked at your set and decided #2 again. The toner, if you excuse the irony, would be the white elephant of that group and be distracting from the rest of the set.

Plus how could one pass on a coin whose description includes the word "coruscating"?

That actually surprises me a bit. There are two other Appalachians in the set, 1945-D & S.

Here is the current photo of my registry war nickel set.

TheAtlanticCitySetofJeffersonNic-5.jpg

btw, I take great pleasure in writing coin descriptions. Emphasizing the positive attributes of a coin while gently acknowledging it's shortcomings is very challenging.

Paul, I would choose the first one just because I sort of think of it as your "trademark" as the wildly-toned Jeff Nickel guy. I will say, the NGC Generation 8 holder also has me a bit biased (I'm a fan of that holder), together with the "curious" T-designation. I happen to have an NGC Gen 8 1944-D Nickel also graded MS67T ( link here ) , but mine is NO WHERE as wild as yours! :)

Ultimately, it's your decision. Either coin is gorgeous... (thumbs u

Oh, you need to send me that coin so I can photograph it properly. I know there is beautiful toning that just isn't showing in that photo. I love the T designation and I doubt that I will ever send this coin in for a star designation review because it will lose the T in the process and I don't really care about the registry points.

If you send it to me, I will photograph it and provide a complimentary coin description. :grin:

That actually surprises me a bit. There are two other Appalachians in the set, 1945-D & S.

Here is the current photo of my registry war nickel set.

TheAtlanticCitySetofJeffersonNic-5.jpg

btw, I take great pleasure in writing coin descriptions. Emphasizing the positive attributes of a coin while gently acknowledging it's shortcomings is very challenging.

Paul,

Would you mind doing me a favor and putting the 67+* in the place of the 44-D Appalachian for the group photo? I was trying to picture what the comparative groupings would look like in my mind. I might have voted differently.

Chris

Paul,

Would you mind doing me a favor and putting the 67+* in the place of the 44-D Appalachian for the group photo? I was trying to picture what the comparative groupings would look like in my mind. I might have voted differently.

Chris

Okay, Here are the most updated photos of the war nickel set. The first showing the toned coin and the second with the +* coin.

ACSetofWarNickels.jpg

JeffersonWarNickels.jpg

ACSetofWarNickelswithstarpluscoin.jpg

Thanks for posting the comparisons, Paul. It's a tough call for me, but I'm still leaning toward the MS67+*. Maybe you should build two sets?

Chris