• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC ReGrade Vs. Crack-Out: What Works Best? posted by MV Coins

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

How Do I Get the Best Result for a Coin in an old NGC Holder?

I have a number of nice coins in older NGC holders, some in very old holders. I can submit the coins to NGC using their ReGrade service. Does this work? Has anyone had success? Do I have a better chance with coins in very old NGC holders? The higher risk is to Crack-Out the coins and resubmit them to NGC for grading. The downside is always the potential lower grade. Any suggestions?

See more journals by MV Coins

How Do I Get the Best Result for a Coin in an old NGC Holder?

I have a number of nice coins in older NGC holders, some in very old holders. I can submit the coins to NGC using their ReGrade service. Does this work? Has anyone had success? Do I have a better chance with coins in very old NGC holders? The higher risk is to Crack-Out the coins and resubmit them to NGC for grading. The downside is always the potential lower grade. Any suggestions?

See more journals by MV Coins

With crackouts you also risk details grade if the coin is questionable.

I did this once and received the same grade. When I sent the old NGC holder in for re-grade they removed it from the old holder and placed it in a new holder. The conventional wisdom is that coins in old holders were under graded. In the case of my coin, a Full Head MS-64 1917 Type 1 Standing Liberty quarter this was not the case. So I essentially spent the money for nothing and furthermore I would have liked to have had the coin remain in the old holder had it not gotten a higher grade. When I sent the coin in I thought it was a shoe in for the higher grade and obviously I was wrong. At any rate I am no less happy with the coin, which is most important anyway.

Gary

I would solicit the opinion of a trusted numismatic professional before doing either. If you really think a regrade is warranted, then would do a crackout so the current grade does not influence the graders. Just my opinion though.

MV,

I agree with Beaw. Find a dealer that specializes in the type of coins you are thinking of cracking. You may lose 50% of value if you get a detailed coin checked.

If it is the grade you are after you might consider selling to upgrade but if you realy think your coin is undergraded try 1 slab upgrade first with a submission of a few raws. They won't take the coin out of the slab unless it deserves a better grade. (safe)

Good Luck-----Rick

As was inferred earlier, I would solicit the eyes of a trusted local dealer or other collectors that have knowledge in the series your considering re-submitting. This is where belonging to a local coin club comes in very handy.