• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Grade or Not to Grade

17 posts in this topic

For those that got the 25th set, Should I have my one set graded or keep as is even though I am going to keep them with the ASE series. I know once I open the box, grading is out of the picture, but after the storm settles I would still get the 25th Annv. label.I Didn't get the 06 set graded either. I know the r/pr. and the s mark are special only with the 25th set the others need to be graded for the 25th.HELP!!!! TEMPTATION is killing me.

Get it graded, it'll help protect the coins and they will be worth more as I've noticed slabbed coins generally sell for more (in case you ever decide to sell). just my 2cents worth

I just sold one box ungraded. NGC 69s are now going for $1400 per set, so there doesnt seem to be much risk. I should have one more set coming in soon, and will see how the market is doing at that point.

In my opinion, it depends on three things:

1. Cost of grading

2. Turn around time of grading

3. Potential market flooding by the time grades come in

Obviously #3 is the biggest factor. As the market gets flooded, values will obviously drop. The quicker you can get graded sets back the better.

Certification is almost required on this set. The value is instantly diminished when the Mint box is opened, if the coins are not sent for grading.

While I agree, I don't know that I can afford the additional expense and wait. How long does it take, from what I have seen on here it will likely be several months before they get graded and returned.

NGC Modern-Special Tier is 12 business days. Figure on a week shipping in each direction, just to be safe.

Yes, modern-special tier is listed as 12 buisness days but keep in mind, if they are swamped, it will take longer. Keep an eye on the status once you submit your coins. Once you get the status "scheduled for grading" you clock will start ticking. Your coins might sit in the "recieved" status for a week and then sit again on the back side under "shipping"..

I sent mine in today. Right now, Im hoping to have a status on them by Christmas and then in my hands shortly after that.

Thanks, I plan on keeping them with the series. I can send them in on down the road and still get the 25th Annv set label, as long as I don't open the box.Not worried about the selling of them,just to get the Pr. and Bullion and the W Certified. I'm sure when I'm gone who ever gets them might have to sell them so they won't sell the Pr and Bullion, W as regular eagles. All my others are raw, except the San Fran. one.

Grade em- otherwise some coins won't get the 25th label and there is no way of proving it when the set is opened.

This was also the fact for the 2006 Anniversary set but it doesn't stop people from still paying decent money for the set in OGP.

I had no choice as I bought a set for someone else who couldn't order that day (actually it was Bill Jones) so I never had the chance to send in the box as I had to open it to seperate the sets.

As it is...I probably wouldn't have anyway. I just have no interest in supplying the TPGs will more revenue. I'm keeping the set for awhile so having them slabbed makes no difference to me.

I'm going to ask something here though I really should probably know: What is deal with keeping them in the original box from the mint? What is the designation the TPGs give for this again? I wondering why this is such a big deal.... hm Another words what the difference between that and if I wanted to grade them next year?

jom

I had no choice as I bought a set for someone else who couldn't order that day (actually it was Bill Jones) so I never had the chance to send in the box as I had to open it to seperate the sets.

As it is...I probably wouldn't have anyway. I just have no interest in supplying the TPGs will more revenue. I'm keeping the set for awhile so having them slabbed makes no difference to me.

I'm going to ask something here though I really should probably know: What is deal with keeping them in the original box from the mint? What is the designation the TPGs give for this again? I wondering why this is such a big deal.... hm Another words what the difference between that and if I wanted to grade them next year?

jom

Actually Jom, once the set is opened there are 3 of the eagles that cannot be determined came from the anniversary set. The No Mintmark Uncirculated, the "W" mintmark uncirculated, and the Proof eagle. All 3 of these coins have been out prior to this set. This is why it is of importance for grading that they remain unopened when sending in to the TPG to have all 5 coins designated as the original 25th Anniversary set. The other 2, Uncirculated "S" mintmark and the reverse proof are the only ones that can be verified for the set.

Grade em- otherwise some coins won't get the 25th label and there is no way of proving it when the set is opened.

This was also the fact for the 2006 Anniversary set but it doesn't stop people from still paying decent money for the set in OGP.

I just sold 3 sets of the 2006 Annie sets in NGC/69 on eBay...

They sold for $400, raw sets in the OGP at the same time were bring $450...

There is a whole other ASE world were labels do not mean a thing...