• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainbow toned steel cent

23 posts in this topic

Got myself a monster steel cent today! This thing is really wicked. Looks like a tie die shirt. I bought it from a local dealer. I watched it toned in a type set holder that hangs on the wall. It took just over a year. Weird thing is none of the silver toned at all. lol My question for you all is how hard do you think this thing will be to get graded? Since I know its 100% natural I should be able to use the sniffer right?

EDITED TO ADD: I will try to take some better pics 2morow

the cool toned ones I have are all reprocessed

or copper plated

so mine won't grade very well

I can't guess the grade of yours, it is hard enough with pics,

bet even harder without

I would think it would be difficult but not impossible to get a toned steel cent graded these days. I would be suspect of calling anything that toned in 1 year especially a steel cent natural but I understand the intent argument.

I will wait for picture before commenting further on your coins market acceptability (thumbs u

My question for you all is how hard do you think this thing will be to get graded?

Your guess on that is as good as anyone's as "AT" is a definition-less term. What that means is, what they say goes.

I was not aware that the original zinc coating on the 1943 steel cents toned to anything but a dull powdery gray. Iv'e see plenty of these coins rust, but that is not desirable. I’ve seen the ones that have bee stripped in re-plated turn to a pale blue. Other than, I think you are looking at some sort of AT. In any case the re-plated examples won’t grade, or at least it anyone made the mistake of submitted them, I would assume that they won’t grade.

My question for you all is how hard do you think this thing will be to get graded?

Your guess on that is as good as anyone's as "AT" is a definition-less term. What that means is, what they say goes.

That's not correct regarding anyone's "guess". As dissatisfied as you appear to be about the lack of specific standards for "AT", some people are much better "guess"ers than others. And that is because the AT/NT decisions (flawed, though they sometimes are) by the grading companies are based on a great deal of knowledge and experience.

Sight-unseen, my guess is that the steel cent won't grade, because, as described, it does not sound NT. I base that upon my examination of more than a few steel cents, over the years.

Interesting responses. I can tell you as of right now I am still at 100% on submissions. Never once had a Genuine for any reason. I truly feel this one has the NT look to it and I know this guy didn't tone it like that because he sells me his toned stuff at a discount lol ( Yes some people still do that) . I understand that steel is not supposed to toned but either is gold. If PCGS will slab this than hopefully they will keep an open mind when I send them my cent lol

St.png

EDITED TO ADD: I know I post this gold coin a lot....... Im kind of obsessed with it. Please bare with me :ohnoez:

Interesting responses. I can tell you as of right now I am still at 100% on submissions. Never once had a Genuine for any reason. I truly feel this one has the NT look to it and I know this guy didn't tone it like that because he sells me his toned stuff at a discount lol ( Yes some people still do that) . I understand that steel is not supposed to toned but either is gold. If PCGS will slab this than hopefully they will keep an open mind when I send them my cent lol

St.png

EDITED TO ADD: I know I post this gold coin a lot....... Im kind of obsessed with it. Please bare with me :ohnoez:

It doesn't matter if the seller didn't tone it, and/or if no one else toned it. It does not sound as if it has the appearance of what is (typically reasonably) thought to be NT for such coins.

I have searched for years for toned Steelies as well and have only found 1...bought it raw for no premium at a local show....

It was yellow toned on the obverse and pink on the reverse, was not reprocessed and graded at MS66 with NCG...

I have often looked at the Steelies in those aftermarket holders and most of them are reprocessed... the ones with the best toning, unfortunately, usually are.

Good luck with your search... Unicorns do exist...

I am far from a steel penny expert. Maybe it is re-processed. Anybody know where I can find some info on that? I would be interested in looking into it

Mark- You know I respect your opinion. You have seen so many more coins than me. With that said, the reason I bought the coin is because its not what you would expect to see. I think nobody would expect that Gold $20 above to tone like that either. I never thought I would purchase a steel cent in my life. I like unique coins. I think most would agree when I post the pictures that it looks legit.

the good news is I didn't pay moon money for it and if it grades than I will be elated. If it doesn't grade I still like the coin and plan to keep her!

steelcents017.jpgsteelcents008.jpg

steelcents021.jpg

I have these toned steel cents. These have been housed in a Littleton holder for many years and have taken on some color. I'll try to get better images as I just woke up. Sad eh?

I have never seen a toned steelie in hand but I have seen a few photos posted over the years. One of our fellow NGC forum members owns this one which looks MA to my eyes from the photo.

1943cobv.jpg1943crev.jpg

I would think that if the coin you are talking about has dramatic rainbow toning that it would probably not be considered MA by the TPG's. As others have mentioned, steel cents just don't develop rainbow toning very often and each example will be greeted with a high level of scrutiny.

Regarding the toned Saints, while finding Saints with rainbow toning is extremely difficult, the presence of such toning is thought to be the result of improper alloy mixture in the planchet. Without having an in depth knowledge of the planchet production process in the beginning of the 20th century, this thought is more of a guess than anything else, but it does hold some logic.

StGaudensDoubleEagle1924NGCMS63S-2.jpg

Most toned Saints merely showing variations in intensity of the gold color when they tone. If you are interested in seeing some really cool examples of toned Saints, check out the Duckor collection offered in the 2012 January FUN Sale.

Duckor Collection of Saints

You know its a good topic when Lehigh96 comes out of hibernation lol

So I got a question for you Paul. Isn't it possible that a few steel cents had an improper alloy mixture?

reprocessed cents are basically stripped and replated

they have no cartwheel luster and look slightly prooflike

they look the same all the way around, including rims and edges

You know its a good topic when Lehigh96 comes out of hibernation lol

So I got a question for you Paul. Isn't it possible that a few steel cents had an improper alloy mixture?

I think the huge difference in composition would make an improper alloy mix a non issue for steel cents where as an imporper mixture with Gold causing an increased presence of copper at the surface would make rainbow toning more likely on GoLd....but that's just a theory (thumbs u

reprocessed cents are basically stripped and replated

they have no cartwheel luster and look slightly prooflike

they look the same all the way around, including rims and edges

I agree with that

The 43-D posted by Buffalo is almost a match to the coin I was speaking of... pinks/purples and yellows..

I think if you have true rainbows on yours it might be bagged just on the fact it might be a one of a kind coin whether its AT or NT...

I am far from a steel penny expert. Maybe it is re-processed. Anybody know where I can find some info on that? I would be interested in looking into it

It's pretty easy to spot replated steelies.

On original coins, the edges won't have the zinc coating and on the replated ones they will.

The original steel cents were punched out of metal that had been zinc plated on both side, and not plated after they were turned into blanks.

I've seen lots of replated steelies over the years, some of which have toned nicely.

The original steel cents I have seen are mostly dull gray.

Why would you spend $30 to have a coin worth 10-cents put in a plastic slab?

[i guess I do not understand some of today's coin collectors....] :(

Isn't it possible that a few steel cents had an improper alloy mixture?

The mild steel used in the cents was iron with a little carbon. There may have been traces of other metals but not really an alloy as such. And then that steel was plated over with basically pure zinc so no alloy there either.

On most toned steel cents I have seen the zinc takes on a faint transparent pastel blue tint. As the oxidation layer becomes thicker the pastel fades and the zinc becomes whitish. Not silver, white, and the luster fades.