• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you just learned you were adopted, would you put together a date set...

8 posts in this topic

... for your birth parents? or your adoptive parents? or both??

Yes, this is a real, live situation, but No, it does not apply to me. The question came up in conversation this week. Of course, it assumes you are able to discover information about your real parents, which is the case in this particular scenario.

Actually I was adopted by my stepfather and only found out at my high school graduation. While there isn't the bond with my real father as I have with my stepfather who raised me I have tried to use both of their birth years to find coins for my type set. I have also used relatives on both sides to target for other coins within the type set. It makes it more interesting for me and since I hold no ill feelings towards any of them it is just a method to my madness.

To each his own though.

Since I was not adopted, I wouldn't really be able to answer this, but I think it would depend on each individual situation. If there is some sort of bond with, both, the natural parents and the adoptive parents, I see nothing wrong with building sets for both.

Chris

I can't really answer that. I wasn't adopted so I'm no help there. Besides, I've never had the inclination to try that as I've really never had the...er...ability to pull it off. You see....my mom was born in 1921. :o

jom

It depends on the relasionship. If the adoptive parents successfully and wholly raised me, I would build a birth year set for them.

It depends on the relasionship. If the adoptive parents successfully and wholly raised me, I would build a birth year set for them.

Yes, it would depend on the bond between both/either sets of parents. If they were loved and respected and it was reciprocated, then I would say, YES, to building a both for both/either sets of parents. .

If you just learned you were adopted, would you put together a date set...for your birth parents

NOT A CHANCE ABSOLUTELY NOT

i would not harbour any hate or anger

BUT

beyond a shadow of a doubt

my real parents would ONLY be in my minds eye whomever raised and cared for me