• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you doing a box of 20?

37 posts in this topic

It's a method that forces the collector to focus on specific aspects of the hobby. I haven't seen any company use it to market coins, although Dave Bowers used to emphasize quality details over fads. (Some of the nicest coins I ever bought were from Dave during the Hathaway & Bowers era. Dave handled the coins and his taste was always excellent. The Bowers & Ruddy era nearly always ending with the coin being returned for over grading or cleaning, and then Dave would send a nice piece as a replacement.)

While I have some nice coins that would make a nice start on building a box of 20, I'm more interested in completing the sets I've started. Building interlocking sets (MS Cents - Half Dollars, and mint sets from '40-'50) keeps me engaged and I've found that there is always something to look for.

I find it interesting to see how everyone looks at the question. There is no right answer, of course. But it does seem that most collectors are accumulaters whether of a series, type, or some other contrivance. I suppose my focus is mainly in history, art, or aesthetics. Maybe that's why the box of 20 works for me. My collection could probably be classified as "things that interest me at the moment."